Has Conor Improved Or Was Cowboy An Easy Match-Up?

pcbh167

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Conor looked amazing against Cowboy, but Cowboy seems to struggle against Southpaws. Nate Diaz and Darren Till had the performance of their lives against him and they're both Southpaws.

Also, everyone wants to see Conor rematch Khabib just because he had an amazing performance against Cowboy, but Khabib actually knows how to fight Southpaws, which is why Conor wasn't able to do what he did to Cowboy to Khabib.

I could be wrong and it would be great if Conor is Conor 2.0 now but I need to see him fight someone who actually knows how to fight against Southpaws.

Well, both.

Both.

Nuance in the analysis is the most important. Nuance.

Conor 2.0..

{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}
{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}

Cowboy got his 3rd consecutive stoppage loss in a row, on his 4-6 current run.

Next question

Pro Logic would say: Conor improved. He is GOAT now.
Hitto would say: Cowboy is terrible now. Conman is irrelevant.
Reality dictates: Conor was always a bad match up for Cowboy and also very likely improved in areas of his game with time off and practice.

Next question

Devil's in the details tho:

Losses versus:

1) Till: fought for the title one fight after he beat Cowboy and just BTFO interim title challenger Gastelum at 185
2). Lawler: Just lost the title after Cowboy fought him and many thought Cowboy won
3). Leon Edwards: Arguably next for the title and Cowboy gave him a tough five round fight
4). Masvidal: BMF Champ and arguably fighting next for the title
5). Ferguson: Fighting for the title and interim champ
6). Gaethje: WSOF champ and arguably fighting for the title next after Tony
7). Conor: Lineal FW, only lineal UFC champ-champ and fighting for the whatever he wants next

Yeah, they are "losses" but only against guys that are champ material. Cowboy is still and excellent gatekeeper to contender and champion status and has just as recent cleaned out hype machines like Perry at 170 Hernandez.

Neither, he just wasnt fighting khabib or the greatest boxer of our generation.

Rematch with khabib will probably look different as well assuming hes not injured

Next question

cowboy had 1 bad performance in his prior 8, against gaethje, who has alot of power, before fighting conor, including a dominant win over the #4 ranked iaquinta 8 months ago.

Last edited:

Losses versus:

1) Till: fought for the title one fight after he beat Cowboy and just BTFO interim title challenger Gastelum at 185
2). Lawler: Just lost the title after Cowboy fought him and many thought Cowboy won
3). Leon Edwards: Arguably next for the title and Cowboy gave him a tough five round fight
7). Conor: Lineal FW, only lineal UFC champ-champ and fighting for the whatever he wants next

Yeah, they are "losses" but only against guys that are champ material. Cowboy is still and excellent gatekeeper to contender and champion status and has just as recent cleaned out hype machines like Perry at 170 Hernandez.

I don't disagree with you. The point remains indisputable that he was coming of 2 consecutive stoppage losses, the most recent only a few months earlier. I'm not even sure how he was cleared in time to resume full contact to train for the Conor fight.

Now you did a good job explaining away how Cowboy is riding a current 4-7 streak, with 3 losses in a row. The best way to describe this is exactly how it is at face value - against steep competition, Cowboy generally loses.

The other detail to highlight is this is the FIFTH time Cowboy has been knocked out in the first round. Really the 6th if you count Masvidal, and you should. He was picked out because he's a guy on a losing run, on a losing streak, who has a history of crumbling in the first round.

I like Cowboy and he's a fine fighter. He was hand picked to fall over and he did.

I don't disagree with you. The point remains indisputable that he was coming of 2 consecutive stoppage losses, the most recent only a few months earlier. I'm not even sure how he was cleared in time to resume full contact to train for the Conor fight.

Now you did a good job explaining away how Cowboy is riding a current 4-7 streak, with 3 losses in a row. The best way to describe this is exactly how it is at face value - against steep competition, Cowboy generally loses.

The other detail to highlight is this is the FIFTH time Cowboy has been knocked out in the first round. Really the 6th if you count Masvidal, and you should. He was picked out because he's a guy on a losing run, on a losing streak, who has a history of crumbling in the first round.

I like Cowboy and he's a fine fighter. He was hand picked to fall over and he did.
he was finished in the first round twice in his last 14 fights prior to conor (and 3 times in 25 fights). almost all against dangerous opponents.

Losses versus:

Cowboy shouldn't be fighting champ material guys at this point

I really wanted to see if he improved on some of the issues in this fight during his long lay off but sucks that it ended so quickly:

his gas tank
wrestling and BJJ defense

Cerrone's losses in his last 35:
McGregor Southpaw
Gaethje Southpaw
Ferguson Switchhitter
Edwards Southpaw
Till Southpaw
Lawler Southpaw
Masvidal Switchhitter
RDA Southpaw
RDA Southpaw
Pettis Switchhitter
Diaz Southpaw

List of Cerrone's losses in his last 35 against orthodox only fighters:
uh nobody

This is funny, as if the UFC was thinking:" Who is a guy who can't fight a southpaw, is way past his prime and got finished a lot lately with a 4:6 record in his last 10"
Plus he has to be a slow starter and already finished 6 times in the first round.
Let's take the guy with 50 mma fights, who has lost his chin.

Cerrone had a great career, many records, good money and was always a fighter near the title.
Respect.

Back