Why Conor won't/shouldn't fight Masvidal next

johncola

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dana cites size as the issue. That's clearly nonsense, as Masvidal isn't any bigger than Nate or Cowboy, and is shorter than both. Masvidal is actually a stylistically good matchup for Conor, in that he's an orthodox striker without a reach advantage.

The real reason is, Masvidal has a real shot at beating Kamaru Usman, while Usman on paper is a horrible matchup for Conor. Wrestling, height, reach, cardio, durability. He checks so many boxes for what constitutes a bad Conor matchup. But he isn't an especially tough matchup for Masvidal, who could conceivably stop the takedown and outstrike Kamaru.

Anyway, the UFC should be crossing their fingers for Masvidal beating Usman. Then they can do Conor vs Jorge for both the WW and BMF title to make the biggest fight of all time.

The question is, in the meantime, what should Conor do?

He's on standby to fill in for the calamitous LW contenders Khabib and Tony. But if that fight stays intact, a potential fight between Conor and the winner wouldn't happen until very late this year. And Conor can't afford that inactivity.

So I think these are the options:

Nate Diaz III
Dustin Poirier II
Justin Gaethje
Jose Aldo II

All winnable fights with heat behind them. I just don't know which of them are available right now.

Nate is an obvious choice. But Nate is coming off a loss, and the fight could happen anytime in the future. So I don't love that option right now.

Poirier is a great option. There's history, it'd be an exciting fight, and Conor would be tipped to get another first round finish. Poirier also has good stock right now, in that he has a not unrecent win over supposed #1 contender Gaethje, and he gave a respectable performance vs Khabib.

Gaethje is another very good option. However Gaethje isn't as well known to the general public, and he isn't an exciting personality. But the fight would be fireworks. Again, Conor would be tipped to get the KO over the hittable Gaethje. However, if it doesn't happen, he'd potentially be in big trouble late. Also Gaethje has some size on Conor. It's a riskier fight.

Aldo would be huge due to the history. It'd give Jose another payday, and that shot at redemption that he's wanted for so long. It'd be an easy win for Conor, so is very low risk. Aldo is on the BW title track, but he'd no doubt put that on hold for a red panty night. The biggest issue with this is his unreliability in making it to the fight.

My favorite options are Poirier or Aldo. Let Nate wait (or fight someone else). Put Gaethje on the LW title hunt, and hope he wins, as Conor vs Justin for the title is money. And as mentioned, give Jorge the Usman fight.

Bucket.

TLDR
Conor should fight Poirier or Aldo next. Masvidal should go for the WW title with a view to a future Conor WW title fight. Gaethje should go for the LW title with a view to future Conor LW title fight.

Counter argument to why he should fight Masvidal next:

I'd really like to see it.

Me too. But wouldn't you really like to see any of those other fights?
Sure, but this happening first doesn't prevent them from happening in the future. It just feels like the right time for these two to clash to me.

I think Nate is good bet. If he wanna make any money off nate now is the time,before he is as shot as cowboy is,and people start bitchin about it like they did about this one.

Imagine this. Masvidal beats Usman, Conor beats Masvidal and becomes the ww and BMF champ. Khabib moves up and makes Conor tap again. Khabib lightweight, welterweight and BMF champ. GSP comes back and Khabib successfully defends his welterweight title. Khabib retires undefeated as a triple champ.
Khabib goat bless

Conor should fight Nate of Masvidal and stay the hell away from titles. He is an awful champion never defending and getting his hand held constantly. He should just do big fights which we all know will make tons of money regardless.

I know that Dana thinks Masvidal can beat Usman and then Conor can beat Masvidal to get WW and BMF belts at the same time. But still, Usman would be the favourite against Masvidal and Masvidal would be the favourite against McGregor.

Khabib - Tony will happen imo. Conor will likely return in March against RDA/Gaethje/Nate at 170. He won't cut weight for a non-title bout. Then he'll face the Khabib - Tony winner and if he wins that too, then he'll face Masvidal if he gets the WW belt.

So many ifs in this plan.

Likelihood of ifs:

Khabib - Ferguson Happens: 90%
Masvidal beats Usman: 35%
McGregor beats Masvidal: 40%
McGregor beats RDA/Gaethje/Nate at 170: 95%
McGregor beats Khabib: 45%
McGregor beats Ferguson: 80%

Last edited:
I know that Dana thinks Masvidal can beat Usman and then Conor can beat Masvidal to get WW and BMF belts at the same time. But still, Usman would be the favourite against Masvidal and Masvidal would be the favourite against McGregor.

Khabib - Tony will happen imo. Conor will likely return in March against RDA or Gaethje at 170. He won't cut weight for a non-title bout. Then he'll face the Khaib - Tony winner and if he wins that too, then he'll face Masvidal if he gets the WW belt.

So many ifs in this plan.
Yeah there are a lot of ifs. But there always arein long term MMA matchmaking.

There are already lines released for the WW title fights you mention. Usman is 70% favorite over Masvidal, and I favor Usman too. But I think Masvidal is a very live dog. Conor is actually slight favorite over Masvidal, and I'd expect the gap to widen as the fight approaches. But yeah even despite that, there are a lot of ifs. edit: oops my bad... I was looking at the Conor/Gaethje line by mistake. Indeed, Masvidal is favorite over Conor. But I disagree with the odds, and think the line would move anyway.

I think he's staying at 170.

No matter what Dana says about the Khabib rematch now, Jorge's going to start his shit-talking to get the ball rolling...
Conor will respond...
Jorge will respond again...

BAM! You've got the buzz for another record-breaking gate.

UFC doesn't want its two biggest stars right now to cannibalize each other?

Conor fighting for 3 million purse in the UFC is all nice and dandy but you have to be outta your mind if you think Conor isn't thinking about his fine ass ex who just got implants and has been DM him on the low for a rendezvous in the penthouse jacuzzi suite. Dana can't make it rain like Money can.

upload_2020-1-20_2-28-38.png

Conor fighting for 3 million purse in the UFC is all nice and dandy but you have to be outta your mind if you think Conor isn't thinking about his fine ass ex who just got implants and has been DM him on the low for a rendezvous in the penthouse jacuzzi suite. Dana can't make it rain like Money can.

View attachment 714009
I feel a bit silly for not considering a boxing match as an option. Mayweather and Pacquiao both seem feasible right now. And remember how quickly MayMac came about. It was made official like 2 months before the fight happened.

I feel a bit silly for not considering a boxing match as an option. Mayweather and Pacquiao both seem feasible right now. And remember how quickly MayMac came about. It was made official like 2 months before the fight happened.

Yeah the whole PPV felt like a boxing card to me. They arent thinking small in 2020

Dana cites size as the issue. That's clearly nonsense, as Masvidal isn't any bigger than Nate or Cowboy, and is shorter than both. Masvidal is actually a stylistically good matchup for Conor, in that he's an orthodox striker without a reach advantage.

The real reason is, Masvidal has a real shot at beating Kamaru Usman, while Usman on paper is a horrible matchup for Conor. Wrestling, height, reach, cardio, durability. He checks so many boxes for what constitutes a bad Conor matchup. But he isn't an especially tough matchup for Masvidal, who could conceivably stop the takedown and outstrike Kamaru.

Anyway, the UFC should be crossing their fingers for Masvidal beating Usman. Then they can do Conor vs Jorge for both the WW and BMF title to make the biggest fight of all time.

He's on standby to fill in for the calamitous LW contenders Khabib and Tony. But if that fight stays intact, a potential fight between Conor and the winner wouldn't happen until very late this year. And Conor can't afford that inactivity.

Nate Diaz III
Dustin Poirier II
Justin Gaethje
Jose Aldo II

All winnable fights with heat behind them. I just don't know which of them are available right now.

Nate is an obvious choice. But Nate is coming off a loss, and the fight could happen anytime in the future. So I don't love that option right now.

Poirier is a great option. There's history, it'd be an exciting fight, and Conor would be tipped to get another first round finish. Poirier also has good stock right now, in that he has a not unrecent win over supposed #1 contender Gaethje, and he gave a respectable performance vs Khabib.

Gaethje is another very good option. However Gaethje isn't as well known to the general public, and he isn't an exciting personality. But the fight would be fireworks. Again, Conor would be tipped to get the KO over the hittable Gaethje. However, if it doesn't happen, he'd potentially be in big trouble late. Also Gaethje has some size on Conor. It's a riskier fight.

Aldo would be huge due to the history. It'd give Jose another payday, and that shot at redemption that he's wanted for so long. It'd be an easy win for Conor, so is very low risk. Aldo is on the BW title track, but he'd no doubt put that on hold for a red panty night. The biggest issue with this is his unreliability in making it to the fight.

My favorite options are Poirier or Aldo. Let Nate wait (or fight someone else). Put Gaethje on the LW title hunt, and hope he wins, as Conor vs Justin for the title is money. And as mentioned, give Jorge the Usman fight.

Bucket.

TLDR
Conor should fight Poirier or Aldo next. Masvidal should go for the WW title with a view to a future Conor WW title fight. Gaethje should go for the LW title with a view to future Conor LW title fight.

Masvidal is not beating Usman. It's crazy how the Ufc can set up a guy with 3 favorable style match ups and suddenly everyone forgets his flaws.

Nate Diaz III
Dustin Poirier II
Justin Gaethje
Jose Aldo II

Bucket.

TLDR
Aldo is getting a bantamweight title shot. Follow UFC. We all knew this before it was even announced.

https://www.mmanews.com/dana-white-confirms-cejudo-vs-aldo-in-the-works-for-ufc-250/

Also, why on earth are you calling for a diaz rubber match? he just lost to Masvidal himself. Conor fighting Masvidal makes a lot more sense. They will just say he ducked him by doing that.

Nothing you said convinced me, cheers though. I see a good year for MMA rising.

I fully agree, that's what I've been saying too. The best move for Conor is to take either Justin or Dustin at 155. Let Jorge get that TS and hope him or Tony wins a belt. Nobody believes that Conor would beat Marty and Khabib.

Obviously, the jackpot would be if Jorge becomes champ, even better than Tony. Just cuz he's already had that 155 belt, and he sure wanna be the first UFC Triple C.

Back