Which fighters could you tell were destined for greatness?

Jake the Muss

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Was/is there a fighter out there that you just knew they were destined for greatness before the fame?

I remember a bunch of friends ordering the UFC 221 ppv (Romero vs Rockhold), and after the main event I remember watching Israel's first UFC fight against Rob Wilkinson. After that fight, I just knew he was going to be a champ some day.

I also sense the same thing with Zabit Magomedsharipov.

None.

Everytime I thought that I was proven wrong in spectacular fasion.

Brandon Thatch
Travis Browne
Roger Huerta
Recently Johnny Walker.

It really never fails

Last edited:
khabib but i guess that was easy to see
still in the ngannou train tho

Wow...so you predicted a flaming, gender-bending fashionista man-woman was going to be champ soon in this insane society? Hell, I knew it too.

Petr Yan. Watched him fight back in the day on a Russian circuit. Dude’s special.

I know he’s not there yet but he will be.

Also Cejudo. Have been following his career since his pre-UFC fights.

Last edited:
I thought that this would be the eventual title fight at WW:

Gunnar_Nelson_%28fighter%29.jpg

i

Young GSP. It was obvious he was going to be a force

None.

Everytime I thought that I was proven wrong in spectacular fasion.

Brandon Thatch
Travis Browne
Recently Johnny Walker.

It really never fails

for me it was thomas almeida i had so much hope for that kid

No brainer, but GSP.
Felt like Robbie was but then Nick Diaz kind of exposed him and I saw him as a one dimensional brawler for awhile.

Recently, Volkanovski, Zhang, Ciryl Gane.

Umar Nurmagomedov last fight was scary to watch. I hope to hear more good things from him soon.

For me it was Cody McKenzie because I never thought anybody would solve the mystery of the Mckenzietine from this type of genius one trick pony. Close second was maybe Junie Browning who I always knew was destined for greatness until I was proven wrong.

Was/is there a fighter out there that you just knew they were destined for greatness before the fame?

I remember a bunch of friends ordering the UFC 221 ppv (Romero vs Rockhold), and after the main event I remember watching Israel's first UFC fight against Rob Wilkinson. After that fight, I just knew he was going to be a champ some day.

I also sense the same thing with Zabit Magomedsharipov.
Jon Jones. The Brandon Vera fight and even in the loss to Hamill he was impressive. All his early UFC fights were something special. He's a lot more conservative now.

GSP vs. Mayhem. I knew this guy was insanely talented.

Mayhem literally did a ninja flip up. GOAT.

Back