Which fighters could you tell were destined for greatness?

None.

Everytime I thought that I was proven wrong in spectacular fasion.

Brandon Thatch
Travis Browne
Roger Huerta
Recently Johnny Walker.

It really never fails

Fuck, I was dead positive on Thatch and Huerta as well.

I also thought Spencer Fisher would be champ... go figure.

I thought David Terrell was going to be a can’t miss superstar. Nope

In recent memory most definitely Khabib. Jones is another one.

I thought it was apparent with Jose Aldo. He was still hitting his stride when the big 3 (Fedor/Silva/GSP) were solidifying their legacies, even on occasion thrown in with them. When Cormier was wreaking havoc in Strikeforce I figured he was champ material.

Last edited:
Cain is just about the only one where I saw it coming.

I was even in denial about Jones for a while.

Jon Jones
Travis Browne
Makwan Amirkhani
Hatsu Hioki

I remember thinking Robert Whittaker was going to be champ after he lost a close decision to Court Mcgee. (I thought he won)

Even back then his distance management and counter striking were phenomenal.

johny-hendricks-ko-walburger.gif
Johny+Hendricks+Knockouts+Martin+Kampmann+UFC+154.gif
giphy.gif

I really thought he was going to be the WW Hendo, and going to terrorize this division for years as a wrestler who could destroy you with a patented punch.

That was the fight for me also. I was like, “this guy is my new favorite fighter.” All of my friends couldn’t see it and didn’t understand why I liked this random Canadian guy.
He spinning back kicked and axe kicked mayhem on the ground. Still one of my favourite all time fights

Conor. After his first fight I felt like he had the Anderson Silva type effect about him

He spinning back kicked and axe kicked mayhem on the ground. Still one of my favourite all time fights
Yeah that's a good one. I sometimes forget how sharp, fast, relentless and well-rounded young GSP was. Almost 15 years has passed, but place a 23 y.o. GSP into the modern LW/WW landscape, and he would still kick major ass.

OK I'm putting Geoff Neal on that list right now haha.

The one that stands out the most was watching Anderson Silva manhandle Leben.

Cody Garbrandt. He’s fell off hard but he screamed future champ to me after I saw him beat Brimage.

Back