Pettis vs Ben Henderson

Kono dio da!

Giorno's Father
@red
Reaction score
I know he beat bendo twice very convincingly. But I always got the impression that bendo had the more rounded skillset and had better matchups with the rest of the division than Pettis. Pettis always had the tdd hole in his game, Henderson not so much. Idk what do you guys think? Was Pettis indeed just a superior fighter or was he just a bad match up specifically for Ben Henderson? Because I understand that the better fighter doesn't always win and can't for the life of me ever see Pettis beating guys like jorge even 2015 jorge, or khabilov. I also think current bendo would still kick mate's ass. Yeah.

I know he beat bendo twice very convincingly. But I always got the impression that bendo had the more rounded skillset and had better matchups with the rest of the division than Pettis. Pettis always had the tdd hole in his game, Henderson not so much. Idk what do you guys think? Was Pettis indeed just a superior fighter or was he just a bad match up specifically for Ben Henderson? Because I understand that the better fighter doesn't always win and can't for the life of me ever see Pettis beating guys like jorge even 2015 jorge, or khabilov. I also think current bendo would still kick mate's ass. Yeah.
egkn2vgujba01.gif

Benson is the better fighter despite losing to Pettis twice
Nice. I agree. He had discipline. Pettis was just flashy and wild. You can be flash and still not get caught slipping like Israel. But Pettis will throw a cartwheel kick, miss and end put himself in bad positions. And his wrestling is awful. Surprised he took bendo down though.

Pettis was just better. Benson might be the worst champ in UFC history. Almost all his title defenses were extremely questionable and his fights in Bellator have been shit as well.

Last edited:
Pettis was just better. Benson might be the worst champ in UFC history. Every single title defense he had was extremely questionable and his fights in Bellator have been shit as well.
Understandable

Benson Henderson was one of those weird fighters whose biggest asset was being able to have close fights most of the time. He was never a better fighter than Pettis, and never will be. I think Pettis is one of the biggest wastes of physical talent in mma. The man has it all, but just can't seem to keep it consistent. That Wheaties box ended him as a top contender.

He didn't beat him both times convincingly :D the first was close until that last round where Pettis dropped him

48-47 twice and 49-46 from the other judge

This is a tough one. But I believe Pettis at his best is better than Benson. Pettis fell off hard. You can say Benson might be more well rounded but he really isn't super dangerous anywhere.

Head to head Benson doesn't have much for Pettis. His takedowns aren't the strongest. His top control isn't. And neither is his striking. Benson was well rounded enough to beat other well rounded fighters.

Pettis was just better. Benson might be the worst champ in UFC history. Every single title defense he had was extremely questionable and his fights in Bellator have been shit as well.
Dave Menne

doubt anyone will ever take that title from him

He didn't beat him both times convincingly :D the first was close until that last round where Pettis dropped him

48-47 twice and 49-46 from the other judge
He beat him convincingly. According to you 2 judges had Pettis winning before the last round.

I think Pettis just had his number.

First fight was awesome. Second fight was a great submission.

Pettis is simply a nightmare matchup for Henderson, simple as that. Some guys just have your number. Basically, Bendo is a top-drawer point fighter. He's an athlete and a cerebral game-planner rather than a true fighter, though. He'll strike with you just enough to score points but if you start exposing him there, quick takedown, quick smatter of guard-work, rinse and repeat.

Pettiis is 100 x better standing meaning Bendo had to go to the takedown and boom, Pettis is also lethal off his back. So Bendo isn't completely safe anywhere for the entire fight. Pettis beats him again tomorrow if they fought again.

Benson is the better fighter despite losing to Pettis twice

This. However I still consider their second fight one of the most impressive title-fight performances in history by Pettis.
Much respect to both guys, also prime Bendo would be a very intriguing fight for Khabib and Tony.

GDR is first.
I agree. She hit Holly after the bell TWICE. No point deducted. If there was a point deducted, its a draw.

And then went on to get stripped of the belt after refusing to defend to the top fighter, Cyborg

Back