How likely is Gordon Ryan to be Successful as a UFC MW?

J

Jpenwell14

We know the man can out grapple heavyweights. The question is how well does he transition to mma?

Assuming garry tonon levels of natural ability, how do you think gordon ryan stacks up in the current middleweight division?

It's very hard for me to see him being any less than above jack hermanson.

he doesnt beat USADA, that's for sure ..

Depends on his striking. Obviously he'd immediately be the best grappler in the UFC.

With respect, all these BJJ guys are likely roided out of their minds and would eat shit under USADA

Depends on his striking. Obviously he'd immediately be the best grappler in the UFC.
MMA grappling aint straight grappling ... I doubt rayan could takedown israel once if they fought, I doubt he could even clinch with israel.
Strikes being involved change every thing when it comes to grappling.

He could probably be the unranked guys in the ufc right now. The top ten though would take him years of training mma.

oh, and yeah that dude is juiced up

MMA grappling aint straight grappling ... I doubt rayan could takedown israel once if they fought, I doubt he could even clinch with israel.

I highly doubt he will be so mediocre at other aspects of mma given his rise and talent in no gi

Gordon has pretty decent wrestling,I think he'd be one of the easier guys to transition if he's at least competent as a striker.

I think JT Torres would find it the easiest, though he's never shown any interest AFAIK.

We know the man can out grapple heavyweights. The question is how well does he transition to mma?

Assuming garry tonon levels of natural ability, how do you think gordon ryan stacks up in the current middleweight division?

It'll be exciting, especially the build up and his first fight, whoever that may be... but i just can't see gordan hanging in there with the likes of whitaker

Plus you would imagine that if he committed to the transition that he'd probably go and train his striking with Mark Henry, which would be good for him.

Gordon has pretty decent wrestling,I think he'd be one of the easier guys to transition if he's at least competent as a striker.

I think JT Torres would find it the easiest, though he's never shown any interest AFAIK.

I think most pro BJJ guys toss the idea around... but JT is on top right now with his recent gold, and i assume he wants to be on top of that mountain for the time being.

Paulo costa is a thing.....
Well we can shit all we want on paulo costa, but the dude was always big, I couldnt find one picture of him not jacked, even before the ufc ( he had more body fat, but he was still very big ), unlike rayan who changed completely since he had his gf ...

Well we can shit all we want on paulo costa, but the dude was always big, I couldnt find one picture of him not jacked, even before the ufc ( he had more body fat, but he was still very big ), unlike rayan who changed completely since he had his gf ...

If we can give paulo the benefit of the doubt we should with Gordon also. Dude was super young when he started. Ur body changes a ton transitioning from young man to full adult. On top of doing elite level training. My understanding is he started out cutting from 185 to 160 for grappling. He's about 220 right now. I don't think it's impossible he put on that amount of weight. But again i don't really know

If we can give paulo the benefit of the doubt we should with Gordon also. Dude was super young when he started. Ur body changes a ton transitioning from young man to full adult. On top of doing elite level training. My understanding is he started out cutting from 185 to 160 for grappling. He's about 220 right now. I don't think it's impossible he put on that amount of weight. But again i don't really know
there's no benefit of the doubt, as I told you the evolution of rayan is far too quick even if the dude was just doing powerlifting, which is not the case, he is grappling a sport that do not favor muscle hypertrophy that much ... It is known that ADCC competitor are on full roids. I want argue with you to know if the sky is blue or not ... have a good day
SeMbhzc.jpg

There are some olympic champions in the UFC y'know? I don't see how Ryan's grappling is superior in MMA to Khabib's or Jones's

There are some olympic champions in the UFC y'know? I don't see how Ryan's grappling is superior in MMA to Khabib's or Jones's

In terms of on the mat grappling it would be, if you include takedowns then I can see your point. I don't think Khabib would be likely to engage Gordon in grappling were they hypothetically the same weight.

He would never get past Romero, unless he pulls off a flying armbar or some shit like that. Seriously, it all depends on whether he has that inherent grittiness and lack of fear of getting punched in the face like Askren and whether he would be able to improve his wrestling fast enough, because I'm sure no one would want to go to the ground with him, at least not at MW.

In terms of on the mat grappling it would be, if you include takedowns then I can see your point. I don't think Khabib would be likely to engage Gordon in grappling were they hypothetically the same weight.
Assuming you're talking about grappling in MMA, I think Khabib would not be afraid of taking him down, pressing him against the cage and working from top. When you're stacked against the cage and have your limbs controlled, it's very hard to pull off submissions and sweeps.

Can't really see him doing much to be honest, but you never know. He's obviously roided, so he would probably do better at Bellator. At Middleweight no way in hell would he ba match in any shape or form for somebody like Gegard Mousasi or Lyoto machida.
I know there's beef between him and Dillon Danis (who he has fought in grappling competitions). So that would be an interesting match up at welterweight.

Back