How much does Khabib's style rely on the cage ?

GoatArtemLobov

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Do you think he would be able to take anybody down like he does if it wasn't for the fence ?
Would he still be champion if fights took place in a kind of basketball court (or even in a ring like in Pride days) ?
Wouldn't he have some trouble with high bjj guys who would be able to display their abilities on the ground if they weren't stuck against the fence ?

His style would be just as effective against the ropes as it is a cage.

He'd get most down still...you couldn't just have a football sized fighting ring so there's eventually nowhere to run no matter what

He does use the cage a lot though but that's also his opponents going off to the side trying to avoid him, and he's such a physical presence that it's like a gravitational push to the side

It's an interesting theory and easy to write off initially but when you think about it he does use the cage a lot.

I would say he'd still be as dominant to be honest and it's not a necessity, just happens to be the cage is there and it ends up there often.

Gaethje himself has said he'd meet him force with force and stay in the middle of the octagon so you do have a valid point there for discussion for sure :)

A lot. Rings dont work in MMA unless you think Japanese refs pushing you back into the ring is good.

Lol no. Not saying he still wouldn't be great, but his current style is extremely dependent on the cage

I think he relies a lot on the cage to chain wrestle people and take them down.
Moreover, stucking opponents against the cage prevent them from fighting off their back/Moving their hips etc.
Wouldn't be surprised if Tony couldn't be able to do anything off his back if he's stuck against the cage (even Ramos couldn't against Islam, if you can't move your hips, you are fucked…)
Current rules/fighting conditions favour wrestlers so much, whether it is the 5 min round or the octagon as a fighting area.

What if they fought in the maze from The Shining, but instead of a fight they baked donuts for each other?

He does rely on the cage a lot for his take downs and control unlike GSP who shoots a fast double from just about anywhere..

however khabib is using it because it’s there not relying on it as his only option

Cmon TS. Watch him M-1 and Sambo fights on youtube.

Make your own damn conclusion, then come back and tell us what it is.

Inform yourself. Then lets talk.

Here's I'll even save you the first step:

The ring was a terrible format for MMA and you had a half dozen guys interrupting the fight and physically touching the fighters.

It was flat out stupid for a sport that involves grappling.

The cage is imperfect but more realistic.

Ultimately I think all the truly elite fighters, Khabib included, would adapt their game to different formats as needed. I'm glad Khabib fights in the cage though.

I'm not saying he wouldn't be great. I'm just asking myself if he would be THAT great.
So watch him work without a cage, then tell me your conclusions, and support them.

"He would still be good, but not as good" is not a supported opinion. It's just blabbering.

No offense :eek:

EDIT: I apologize. I'm a dick. Ignore me. But enjoy the fights I posted. Cheers.

Last edited:
He does rely on the cage a lot for his take downs and control unlike GSP who shoots a fast double from just about anywhere..

however khabib is using it because it’s there not relying on it as his only option

Agreed! The answer is OBVIOUSLY yes, but only because that IS his medium so he has trained and honed his style best to use that environment to his best advantage. If there was no cage his training should and would be much different.

**shrugs**

He didn't use the cage as much in his early fights and adapted to use it as an extra tool because he does fight in a cage now. If he didn't, he wouldn't.

Back