Media Countdown: Holloway vs. Edgar

Can't wait! Still fence straddling on this one. Like both guys, but have questions about both also.

why the fuck didnt they put colby vs lawler on this card

War Max. So refreshing to have a fighting champion in the UFC..

giphy.gif

Holloway gonna piece this man up.

Can't help but root for the old guy taking his last shot at gold. And I think Frankie has a good shot too, a much better one than the oddsmakers are giving him. I think people are underestimating how much damage Max took vs Dustin and how recent that fight was.

Bad matchup for Max and always has been. When has he ever fought a wrestler anywhere near Frankie? He's not even come close. Those skinny little legs have never been tested by a wrestler. Look at his record. Remember what frankie did to Yair, Cub? Yep, that's what he's going to do to Max. How can anyone not see this? Frankie+300 all day long. Frankie got Ko'd by Ortega, yea we know. Frankie never tried to take him down due to Orega's JJ on the ground. Ortega was bigger and stronger and clipped frankie. Max doesn't have one punch KO power. He wears you out, grinds you with volume all round long. Try that with frankie? lol yea ok. frankie can go all day long too and even at his age his cardio is right up there with Max. Max isn't going to KO Frankie. Frankie will go for the takedowns and get him down. And it's not like Frankie's striking sucks, because it doesn't. No it's not as good as Max's but that's not how the fight is going to go. frankie is a more better wrestler than max is a striker. This fight goes to the ground and frankie wins. Place you bets at +300 and thank me later. Oh yea, i'm still waiting for the thank yous when i gave you two LOCKS this weekend. hernandex and Edwards were my two locks.

Max wins by devastating and career ending KO

Frankie is also the only fighter in UFC history to take Aldo down more than once. Aldo had probably the best TDD we've ever seen. Max's TDD is not even in the same language as Aldo's. Easy win for Frank. You'll see.

Bad matchup for Max and always has been. When has he ever fought a wrestler anywhere near Frankie? He's not even come close. Those skinny little legs have never been tested by a wrestler. Look at his record. Remember what frankie did to Yair, Cub? Yep, that's what he's going to do to Max. How can anyone not see this? Frankie+300 all day long. Frankie got Ko'd by Ortega, yea we know. Frankie never tried to take him down due to Orega's JJ on the ground. Ortega was bigger and stronger and clipped frankie. Max doesn't have one punch KO power. He wears you out, grinds you with volume all round long. Try that with frankie? lol yea ok. frankie can go all day long too and even at his age his cardio is right up there with Max. Max isn't going to KO Frankie. Frankie will go for the takedowns and get him down. And it's not like Frankie's striking sucks, because it doesn't. No it's not as good as Max's but that's not how the fight is going to go. frankie is a more better wrestler than max is a striker. This fight goes to the ground and frankie wins. Place you bets at +300 and thank me later. Oh yea, i'm still waiting for the thank yous when i gave you two LOCKS this weekend. hernandex and Edwards were my two locks.
I agree for the most part, the big question is whether or not father time has caught up with Frankie or not.

People are writing him off because of the 2 Aldo beat downs while Max beat Aldo twice but Max doesn't have the jab, pivots, and lateral movement Aldo does that gave Frankie fits and he also doesn't have the TDD of Aldo that allowed him to dictate the fight.

Max relies on pace volume and pressure aided by his iron chin to eventually wear out and overwhelm his opponent's but Frankie does the same thing with the added benefit of also being able to switch to his Wrestling if the stand up isn't going his way.

I've been a fan of Max since his UFC début and have never really cared much for Frankie but looking at this fight on paper without bias it's a much closer match up than it's being regarded as and I could see it going either way but am giving Max the slight edge due to Frankie's age.

I agree for the most part, the big question is whether or not father time has caught up with Frankie or not.

People are writing him off because of the 2 Aldo beat downs while Max beat Aldo twice but Max doesn't have the jab, pivots, and lateral movement Aldo does that gave Frankie fits and he also doesn't have the TDD of Aldo that allowed him to dictate the fight.

Max relies on pace volume and pressure aided by his iron chin to eventually wear out and overwhelm his opponent's but Frankie does the same thing with the added benefit of also being able to switch to his Wrestling if the stand up isn't going his way.

I've been a fan of Max since his UFC début and have never really cared much for Frankie but looking at this fight on paper without bias it's a much closer match up than it's being regarded as and I could see it going either way but am giving Max the slight edge due to Frankie's age.
Good response. I appreciate an intelligent analysis/debate here. You said the Aldo beatdowns? I don't recall frankie getting beat down at all. I remember both fights being very close and somewhat boring with Aldo slightly winning where one of them could have easily gone the other way. The judges just didn't think Frankie did enough. Far from a beatdown though. As you pointed out, Aldo was a terrible matchup for Frankie. Worst matchup you could possibly find for Frankie. Aldo has the best TDD we've ever seen and Frankie's biggest strength/advantage is his wrestling and cardio being able to wrestler or do whatever, switch it up all day long and never get tired. He's a little guy with a lot of heart and wants this more than anything he's ever done in his life. Also, he's pretty much been training just for max for the last two years. What does he need to beat max? Wrestling wrestling, wrestling... So what do you think he's been working on the most? Yep, you got it. Aldo and Max is an entirely different story. Styles make fights and Max is a horrible matchup for Aldo. Why? Because Aldo doesn't take people down. He uses his awesome TDD to stand and trade. Max is horrible matchup for Aldo. Max doesn't get KO'd and can stand all day long on the feet. See the different comparisons with these 3 fighters when they fight each other? Max vs. Aldo great matchup for Max. Max vs. Frankie horrible matchup for Max while Aldo is a horrible matchup for Frankie because he can't be taken down. Aldo's striking is better than Frankie's. Max's striking is better than Frankie's but Max's TDD is nowhere near Aldo's.
Max is getting taken down like we've never seen before and then everyone is going to be scratching their heads saying, "why in the world didn't I ever realize that Max has NEVER fought a wrestler before?" Ortega, Aldo, Aldo, Conor, Pettis... none of those are takedown wrestlers. Frankie is and you can bet your ass he'll be using it just like he did with Yair.
Once again, take the Frankie+300... HORRIBLE matchup for Max.

Also, look what Frankie did to that tall skinny BJJ expert... umm.... shit what's his name??? Charles Olivera... Had to look that up. He tossed his around like a piece of paper. Total ragdolling the whole fight. He does REALLY well against tall skinny fighters. He takes them down and has his way with them. Max will be no different.

Max doesn't have one punch knockout power.. Another reason this is a HUGE advantage for Frankie. I am going to bet big on this. The more i break this down the more I LOVE Frankie. I might even go as far as making this my LOCK pick of the week. I have one lock for 240 i'll give out later after im done placing all my bets but Frankie+300 might be another lock from me. I LOVE Frankie in this matchup.

Good response. I appreciate an intelligent analysis/debate here. You said the Aldo beatdowns? I don't recall frankie getting beat down at all. I remember both fights being very close and somewhat boring with Aldo slightly winning where one of them could have easily gone the other way. The judges just didn't think Frankie did enough. Far from a beatdown though. As you pointed out, Aldo was a terrible matchup for Frankie. Worst matchup you could possibly find for Frankie. Aldo has the best TDD we've ever seen and Frankie's biggest strength/advantage is his wrestling and cardio being able to wrestler or do whatever, switch it up all day long and never get tired. He's a little guy with a lot of heart and wants this more than anything he's ever done in his life. Also, he's pretty much been training just for max for the last two years. What does he need to beat max? Wrestling wrestling, wrestling... So what do you think he's been working on the most? Yep, you got it. Aldo and Max is an entirely different story. Styles make fights and Max is a horrible matchup for Aldo. Why? Because Aldo doesn't take people down. He uses his awesome TDD to stand and trade. Max is horrible matchup for Aldo. Max doesn't get KO'd and can stand all day long on the feet. See the different comparisons with these 3 fighters when they fight each other? Max vs. Aldo great matchup for Max. Max vs. Frankie horrible matchup for Max while Aldo is a horrible matchup for Frankie because he can't be taken down. Aldo's striking is better than Frankie's. Max's striking is better than Frankie's but Max's TDD is nowhere near Aldo's.
Max is getting taken down like we've never seen before and then everyone is going to be scratching their heads saying, "why in the world didn't I ever realize that Max has NEVER fought a wrestler before?" Ortega, Aldo, Aldo, Conor, Pettis... none of those are takedown wrestlers. Frankie is and you can bet your ass he'll be using it just like he did with Yair.
Once again, take the Frankie+300... HORRIBLE matchup for Max.
Man Frankie got his face smashed in in the first 2 rounds of the first fight and in reality should have lost both by 10-8 scores if people are giving him rounds where he landed 2 or 3 more strikes with most of them being insignificant leg kicks or knees to the inner thigh against the cage while Aldo continued to batter him with much more powerful strikes.

The only round Frankie can be awarded while properly applying the scoring criteria is RD.3 or 4 when the strikes where near even but Frankie landed a slam which was the most significant moment of the round.

The second fight he got completely shut down and nullified, it may not have been a blood bath but just look at Frankie's reaction when it was over, for the first time in his career he didn't dispute the decision and clearly knew he had been completely dominated in every facet of the game.

Holloway never had to fight Mendes, who was a wrestler that could've taken him down and beaten the shit out of him. So yea, I'm saying Max has been lucky over the years because he's never had to fight a wrestler, EVER... That is about to change this saturday.

95% sure Max is a horrible matchup for Frankie, but secretly hoping it's the other way around

asVvG9c.gif

SIIUhPa.gif

SvStQVh.gif

AigOyEM.gif

gTLKoaV.gif

mwUDETA.gif

{<hhh]

Back