Prediction: Gustafsson will retire after UFC Stockholm

Danis_champ

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Win or lose I don't think he has it anymore to stay on the top. I think he knows it too and he even admitted that he had problems with motivation.
It looked like he showed up for the paycheck against Jones. He wasn't even mad at himself after the fight. Looked like he didn't give a fuck.
I think Gus is a reasonable guy.
Hope I'm wrong but I think his retirement could be a possibility

I think he should move to hw

It's awful. He could probably do well

Yep gonna get finished by Smith too send him off to retirement

I feel like he retired before the last jones fight

He brought nothing

I think he's gonna do so good that Dana gives him the belt.

I think a move to HW would be good for him, personally. But if the motivation just isn't there anymore, then yeah, he should just chill and move on.

Wouldn't surprise me. I have Smith beating him, so that might be the thing that makes him hang up the gloves for good.

If he loses in Sweden again he just very might.

Considering every year he threatens to do so, i wouldnt really consider this a bold prediction or anything

It wouldnt even surprise me if he retired only to come back a year later or less

Last edited:
agree, knocking the shit out of smith in stockholm and retiring would be nice way to go

If he would lose I definitely buy it.

But with a win, he would only need to beat someone like Borey Anderson to get a title shot and make bank.

Hopefully he ko’s smith and then retires or goes to HW. Either way, his 205 journey should come to a close

Was he ever actually at the top or just elite by association? lol I fully agree though, TS... a guy who has CHOSEN to be as inactive as he has doesn't enjoy fighting... he should move on and keep what's left of his myth intact

Win or lose I don't think he has it anymore to stay on the top. I think he knows it too and he even admitted that he had problems with motivation.
It looked like he showed up for the paycheck against Jones. He wasn't even mad at himself after the fight. Looked like he didn't give a fuck.
I think Gus is a reasonable guy.
Hope I'm wrong but I think his retirement could be a possibility

Not disagreeing with any of this, just don't get the timing. Maybe wants to go out with a win? Tbh people saw this coming ever since the Rumble fight, he's fought four times since then in four plus years. I will always believe Bader was robbed of his title shot in late 2015 cause Gus was going to retire if he didn't get a shot. There was just no reason to shoehorn him into that DC fight and they did.

But Gus is still pretty young and he's better than most everyone at 205+. He can hang around win some more fights, maybe get a trilogy with Jones in a few years or can go up to HW and should get a title shot and the title pretty easily. But if his motivation isn't there that doesn't change much. Crazy he had 7 UFC wins before his 26th birthday he's 32 now and he's got 10 maybe 11 after this fight.

He surely made a lot of money fighting Jones twice and headlining in Sweden also twice (3 times if you count Smith fight).

I think he should stick around and get fun fights or fight in his hometown. No reason for him to keep chasing the title.

Back