Perspective-check: Tony Ferguson is a pretty crappy striker

TheLastEmperorReurns

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I challenge any of you to think of Tony fights where he hasn’t been hurt or dropped at least once = there aren’t many of them.

This guy’s success is mostly a product of his Mexican heart, chin, stamina, and sharp wit.

His most notable wins are comeback finishes on opponents that gassed whaling on him; Kevin Lee, Anthony Pettis, etc.

Donald Cerrone doesn’t have half the heart that Tony does but he’s sharp and lethal as fuck and his wins are almost always one-sided beatdowns.

Highly likely that Cerrone hurts Tony and although his heart will always be there- his body can’t keep taking the punishment it’s been taking for 10 years.

IMO Tony is heading into Nogueira type career ending.

Red circle is where he's been dropped or hurt badly. The Kevin Lee asterisk is because he seemed more off balance than hurt

upload_2019-5-22_20-22-12.png

This is all based on memory so I could be wrong

Point is, aside from the MJ fight where he broke his arm, Tony hasn't been out struck over the course of a fight. He's never seemed out classed. That's why his win streak is what it is and he's the lineal interim LW champ

Last edited by a moderator:
His "striking" is actually good. His defense is sub par but having a good chin has saved him... Needs someone to yell Head Movement at him during fight and could be next GOAT... or wait, wasn't he GOAT or something before losing interim belt... :)

That may be true, but he's still a winner. He's faces adversity but he battles back like a true champion. Cowboy has been known to fold in the face of adversity. That said, I still hope Cowboy pulls it off.

Ah yes, the ole “Tony gets hurt or dropped in every single fight” myth. Gotta love it.

His Striking might not be the greatest but he is exciting to watch and I can't wait for his fight with cowboy ,despite the fact I would hate to see either guy lose .

Yeah, let's low key shit on a fighter's heart who has only been finished 5 times in 47 professional fights with 2 of those coming while fighting at a higher weight class. Get back to me when Tony racks up 20 more fights to see where he's at.

I thought you said 'pretty scrappy striker'

And i was like

<mma4>

He’s for sure a high level striker. I think his style can lead to awkward exchanges where he gets caught but I wouldn’t say he’s someone who takes a lot of beatings before pulling out a win ala Ortega.

Red circle is where he's been dropped or hurt badly. The Kevin Lee asterisk is because he seemed more off balance than hurt

View attachment 586803

This is all based on memory so I could be wrong

Point is, aside from the MJ fight where he broke his arm, Tony hasn't been out struck over the course of a fight. He's never seemed out classed. That's why his win streak is what it is and he's the lineal interim LW champ

Abel Trujillo dropped him too- as well as a few other ones not highlighted.

Khabib even nicknamed Tony El Knockdown

I challenge any of you to think of Tony fights where he hasn’t been hurt or dropped at least once = there aren’t many of them.

This guy’s success is mostly a product of his Mexican heart, chin, stamina, and sharp wit.

His most notable wins are comeback finishes on opponents that gassed whaling on him; Kevin Lee, Anthony Pettis, etc.

Donald Cerrone doesn’t have half the heart that Tony does but he’s sharp and lethal as fuck and his wins are almost always one-sided beatdowns.

Highly likely that Cerrone hurts Tony and although his heart will always be there- his body can’t keep taking the punishment it’s been taking for 10 years.

Tony's best win is probably RDA. A fight where he was never hurt or dropped, and fought long and effectively. Getting in a rhythm as the fight wore on, landing an incredible amount of strikes in rds 4 and 5 at Mexico City elevation.

Tony has been actually HURT twice in his UFC career. Lando and Pettis. That's it. He's been knocked down a few other times where they were balance shots but he was clearly not hurt even a little. If you can show me another fight (aside from Lando and Pettis) where he was truly hurt, please do. But you won't be able to, because it didn't happen.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but if you think "his opponents gassed by whaling on him", you just don't know what you're watching. I really mean it, I'm not trying to pick a fight or be an asshole. You just don't understand what you're watching. I'm sure you'll fire back and disagree, and that's fine. But nobody who understands the sport would say that. Tony forces wars of attrition. He deals damage and sometimes takes it yes, but it's also by design as he knows his cardio and durability are beyond what his opponents can handle. Acting like he goes in every fight, gets outclassed for a couple rounds but his opponents all gas from just beating him up so badly, and then he finds a win is just idiocy.

Tony has great, unpredictable, and varried striking offence. BUT he has abysmal defense at times. He uses that to his benefit. He can dominate exchanges easily but it is the definition of high risk high reward.

Abel Trujillo dropped him too- as well as a few other ones not highlighted.

Khabib even nicknamed Tony El Knockdown

Tony throws strikes from odd angles and is off balance sometimes. Getting knocked down when you aren't hurt even a little doesn't really matter. Especially when most of the division wants nothing to do with you on the mat so won't follow you there anyway. But who are these "few other ones"? I think you are just making shit up on the fly now as your argument gets some holes poked in it.

Wouldn't say he's a crappy striker but I agree that his fans are becoming fairly salty in recent times and are not realistic about him or his abilities in 2019.

Very similar to Nog, people take for granted his "toughness" and assume just because he was able to survive a beating in the past that he'll always remain the same way. History has proven time and time again that this is not the case.

Tony is 35, has been incredibly inactive for the last few years, has been hurt in 3 of his last 4 fights, and he really hasn't faced that stellar of competition lately either considering what others in the division have been up to.

His massive 12 fight win streak is impressive on paper but it's not a "get out of jail free card" allowing him to suddenly trump every future opponent.... good opponent or bad (and many of them are bad), performances from 4+ years ago are not reflective of him in 2019. Many long streaks have built up at LW and been dashed pre-title shot (Jim Miller, G Sot, Guillard) and people seem to think Tony is immune to this basically because they "like his fighting style".

In terms of fighting Khabib, again people are somewhat delusional. Obviously this is MMA and anything can happen but the idea that he would easily sub Khabib from his guard is pretty far-fetched. Offensive submissions are nearly extinct at the highest level of mma and his usual strategy of "wearing opponents out" by taking punishment would be incredibly foolish against someone proven to be a top level grappler with brutal ground and pound who doesn't get tired. I hope the fight happens but it has the makings of the "Beatdown of the Year" IMO and people thinking will we easily win will be very disappointed.

TL/DR: Considering his recent injuries, personal issues, and wear and tear, it's not at all ridiculous to think that Tony's performances are going to continue trending down. He is not immune to aging and biased people are overlooking warning signs IMHO

his chin will reach its expiration date at some point. until then hes one of the top fighters in all of ufc.

I think a lot of people just pretend to like Khabib because they hate Conor and he’s the opposite of Conor.

Someone like Tony Ferguson is the happy medium between complete degenerate and religious hypocrite.

He definitely gets hurt and hit hard too often. He needs to do something before he ends up like Eddie Alvarez. Alvarez was great but got dropped every fight.

I'm picking Cerrone for the upset. He will land hard and hurt Tony with a head kick.

It's the perfect storm for Tony to lose. He's been gone a while, his head might not be in the game. He's had a rough year.

Back