Masvidal official BJJ belt ranking

Mr WorldWide

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
is White belt via his IG live discussing his jiu jitsu superfight no gi match vs Showtime Pettis who is a black belt
Masvidal via Darce

Who cares. He’s a black belt with them hands tho!

It's like everyone is expecting this to be a all out jiu jitsu match. Trust me, it's going to be friendly exhibition match. They both have fights booked and they are both friends/acquaintances. I doubt this will be a hard fought Jiu Jitsu match, it'll competitive but not balls to da wall.

It's like everyone is expecting this to be a all out jiu jitsu match. Trust me, it's going to be friendly exhibition match. They both have fights booked and they are both friends/acquaintances. I doubt this will be a hard fought Jiu Jitsu match, it'll competitive but not balls to da wall.

I agree. Pettis by easy submission.

Since he's apparently only been training No Gi grappling for MMA, it's not a surprise.

He’s also submitted or endangered multiple black belts in MMA, and Demian Maia said he had the best ground game he’s faced in the UFC.

So, yeah he’s a white belt, but.

Its that nogi mystical rank. You cant really claim a belt without going through the Gi curriculum. Therefore you end up with dudes like JJ, MM, and Cerrone subbing top dudes up but only “white belts”

Es normal

Good god how do people still fall for this. He’s a white belt because he never trained in a gi. In reality in no gi competition he is likely a black belt

Its that nogi mystical rank. You cant really claim a belt without going through the Gi curriculum. Therefore you end up with dudes like JJ, MM, and Cerrone subbing top dudes up but only “white belts”

Es normal
Yep and for some reason people seem to confuse this as they never trained in bjj

Plus Masvidal been rolling nogi with blackbelts for well over 15yrs. He started back in the day at the Avellan Bros. gym in Miami (Ive trained there, called FFA). Top notch dudes there and ATT is littered from front to back with BJJ blackbelts and college level wrestlers to roll with every practice.

If you asked the blackbelts that roll with Mas what belt would they declare him as, they all would say he is NOT a white belt LoL.

Damian Maia said Masvidal has some of the best BJJ of anyone hes ever fought in the UFC.

Es normal
I agree with the concept, but in your examples:
Donald Cerrone is a BJJ black belt of long standing.
MM is a brown belt (tbf was blue or purple when he pulled that sweet flying slam to armbar).
JJ is a blue belt.

A lot of guys that aren't officially black belts would still murder most black belts in bjj lol.

Didn't Hughes consider himself a whitebelt… Plus, some fighters have been awarded belts for stopping fighters by strikes...

BJJ black belts are given out like Halloween candy these days. I’m not expert grappler but the best guy I ever rolled with (besides Dean Lister) was a purple belt, that dude could easily tap most brown belts from my old gym, maybe even black belts.

It’s more about instructors, technique, and mat hours than getting an award bc you can do X amount of chokes.

I pay little to no attention to belt rankings these days.

Back