Masvidal official BJJ belt ranking

I agree with the concept, but in your examples:
Donald Cerrone is a BJJ black belt of long standing.
MM is a brown belt (tbf was blue or purple when he pulled that sweet flying slam to armbar).
JJ is a blue belt.

Who gave Cerrone his black? Greg Jackson did but is not a gi system. Its a hybrid nogi submission system. Ive never seen cerrone in a gi.

MM was a white belt when he submitted jiu jitsu demi-god Wilson Reis via armbar.

And JJ may have still been a white belt when he subbed Machida, a Judo and BJJ black belt.

Who gave Cerrone his black? Greg Jackson did but is not a gi system. Its a hybrid nogi submission system. Ive never seen cerrone in a gi.

MM was a white belt when he submitted jiu jitsu demi-god Wilson Reis via armbar.

And JJ may have still been a white belt when he subbed Machida, a Judo and BJJ black belt.
Fair points.

RE: Cerrone (july 2015):

Capture.JPG

Who considers Wilson Reis a "jiu jitsu demi-god"?

The guy has zero major tournament wins at black belt.

His best finishes are 3rd at Pans and 2nd at Brasiliero.

He probably isn't even top 20 most accomplished BJJ guys in MMA.

Black belt at 3 piece and a soda delivering. All that counts

Who considers Wilson Reis a "jiu jitsu demi-god"?

The guy has zero major tournament wins at black belt.

His best finishes are 3rd at Pans and 2nd at Brasiliero.

He probably isn't even top 20 most accomplished BJJ guys in MMA.

Didnt mean to ruffle your jimmies there, I never said he was the most accomplished.
But the dude has guard passes named after him and his bottom half guard game is sick AF and sweeps about everyone.

He’s also submitted or endangered multiple black belts in MMA, and Demian Maia said he had the best ground game he’s faced in the UFC.

So, yeah he’s a white belt, but.

Which is very high praise when you consider all the grapplers that maia has faced.

Ben Askren gave himself a black belt. Open challenge to anyone who wants to go try to take it from him.

I could have sworn when he was competing in NAGA he was purple.

I think MMA bjj is different than sport. Sport you can play half guard and be cool. In mma that is suicide to play half guard or you can even argue that once you hit the bottom in any scenario then you most likely lost the round. I think MMA grappling is still roughly some years behind sports grappling. It isn't because mma grappling isn't good; it's just that certain moves aren't applicable in a setting where striking is allowed. I like Aoki because he plays an interesting guard for "MMA" but there are times he just gets snuffed out.

is White belt via his IG live discussing his jiu jitsu superfight no gi match vs Showtime Pettis who is a black belt
Masvidal via Darce
giphy.gif

So what was the black belt he received from Avellan?

Back