Your definition of a hype train

L0ki

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I would say a hype train is someone who has generated a large amount of buzz without being tested against quality competition.

Houston Alexander, Alessio Sakara, and Israel Adesanya for a current one. Those are hype trains, IMO.

This is in reference to a lot of posters saying the Ngannou hype train is back.

He has wins over AA, Blaydes 2X, Reem, and Cain.

Maybe 1 or 2 big wins can still be attributed to luck or something along those lines, but that's beyond the point of hype train.

How do you define a hype train and does Ngannou fit your description?

Alessio sakara has a hype train? That was a joke b

currenlty Zabit

A fighter who constantly gets easy match ups and is never tested until they fight for a title

Not sure why anyone hyped up Jimmie Rivera, his record was nice looking but I knew he wasn’t anything special.

Any fighter that strings together some impressive performances and I don't really like them or think they are very good

Michael Page

Dude was getting outwerstlee by Paul Daley

Groovy Lando: but I actually think this guy is an animal. Not sure he's top 5 material at any point but he could make a run.
Platinum Perry: this one was solid trolling but again he's a JBW and I get a kick out of him.
Erick Silva: no hype here still currently on track for UFC gold and semi possible GOAT.

people thinking you are going to be a 2 division champ when your biggest win is pe de pano

currenlty Zabit
Yea Zabit is definitly overhyped a bit. He was slowing down hard in a 3 round fight and was eating shots from a brawler. Exciting versitile fighter but way too much ball latching by this forum.

How do you define a hype train and does Ngannou fit your description?

When the amount of buzz a fighter gets is completely out of line with his actual skill. Ideally, we'd want to see his skills tested against decent competition, but it's often possible to correctly identify talent even if the competition is a bit lacking.

For instance, let's take a look at Jon Jones and his first 4-5 UFC fights, the best fighter in there is probably Brandon Vera who is an inconsistent journeyman. But if we looked at how Jones was crushing everyone and the skills & techniques he used to do it, it's not hard to say that he's a very talented fighter with championship potential. We didn't have to wait for him to wreck Bader to tell how good he was.

IMO Ngannou isn't a hype job, his skills are legit and he's used them well in his fights. I don't think Adesanya is either, though there's still some things he needs to work on his skills are solid.

Back