What happened to Renan Barao?

djason1988

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
He was an absolute monster. Went 32-1 until his first fight with TJ, then went 2-5 after (including his rematch). And he's not old by any means, 31. That's considered prime for most MMA fighters. Did TJ just take his soul, or was there some serious flaw in his game that got exposed?

Talked to him last week over the phone . Doing well. TJ did take his soul but he’s finding solace he said in banging 10’s in Brazil , much like Arona. Wants to fight Conor or Mayweather . Wants to have plastic surgery to look like Paulo Costo but I told him he was a good looking dude to got his confidence up . Been doing advanced salsa lessons . Said “ obrigado” to all of sherdog family.

He was an absolute monster. Went 32-1 until his first fight with TJ, then went 2-5 after (including his rematch). And he's not old by any means, 31. That's considered prime for most MMA fighters. Did TJ just take his soul, or was there some serious flaw in his game that got exposed?
35 fights.

I think he's been fighting since he was 18 or so and that's a long time to go through hell to make 135. Also Nova Unaio aged poorly with their bad s&c

Edit: Barao and Gadelhea thought going to a supercamp would solve their cardio issues

I think he's been fighting since he was 18 or so and that's a long time to go through hell to make 135. Also Nova Unaio aged poorly with their bad s&c

Edit: Barao and Gadelhea thought going to a supercamp would solve their cardio issues

They need to hit up Nunes. She's got the secret.

People in lighter weights tend to decline faster. Usually, reflexes are the first to go in an aging fighter.

Marcos Galvao won Bellator BW championship and pretty much went "old" immediately. He's gone 1-5 since winning the belt.

Also, pretty much all of the WEC dudes still fighting today are on their way out. The promotion closed 8 years ago.

Talked to him last week over the phone . Doing well. TJ did take his soul but he’s finding solace he said in banging 10’s in Brazil , much like Arona. Wants to fight Conor or Mayweather . Wants to have plastic surgery to look like Paulo Costo but I told him he was a good looking dude to got his confidence up . Been doing advanced salsa lessons . Said “ obrigado” to all of sherdog family.

images

He is a regular Brad Pitt.

Accumulated damage, mileage, age, USADA, and evolving sport. He has had a very long and grueling career.

I want to say USADA but then again he is really old in terms of fighter age. He had 34 fights before he and TJ fought.

' Fluctuation of poise. '
- Tze

I want to say USADA but then again he is really old in terms of fighter age. He had 34 fights before he and TJ fought.
And his losses to TJ came before USADA started testing. Even if stricter testing forced him to get off of whatever he was on, that's only part of the cause.

And the majority of them were in very low budget and unregulated Brazil events, with insanely open rules, making peanuts in absolute dogfights. People forget how brutal it was in Brazil in the old days when the sport was basically not yet a sport. Not exactly like he has had a career with premium medical treatment either.

It's just sad to see him lose to the likes of nobodies like Kelleher and Ewell who both lost after beating Barao.

Cutting weight and then meeting someone who was too quick for him and taking a long beating twice.

Back