3 TUF Winners Fighting On The FS1 Prelims This Saturday

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
3 TUF Winners are fighting all in a row on the FS1 prelims of UFC 173. Chris Holdsworth who won TUF 18, Tony Ferguson who won TUF 13, and Michael Chiesa who won TUF 15. Other than the 3 TUF winners, there is TJ Dillashaw who was a runner up and now fighting for the title in the main event, Al Iaquinta another runner up on the card along with Sam Sicilia, Vinc Pichel and David Michaud.

A lot of TUF winners and vets on this card. I would say this is a good example of TUF actually producing a lot of fighters. I've always been a firm believer in TUF as a talent generator, not so much as a reality show. TUF has consistently produced talent in the UFC, there's a long list of guys still employed post show, and not only employed but doing well.

Dana always says TUF is going nowhere and other than the bullshit staged drama that comes along with putting a bunch of fighters in a house together, I see no reason why it should go anywhere. It has always produced prospects. Maybe not champions, but in most cases, a lot of the guys that were part of the TUF cast improved leaps and bounds post show. The UFC isn't stupid, I think they should get a little more credit for the prospects they've pulled in from TUF, because there are a fuck ton.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
OP's avatar is enough evidence to support TUF. Would somebody like Alex Caceres get in the UFC when did without TUF? The answer would be no because he had a 5-2 record. Even if he did make it to the UFC at that time he would have been released after going 0-2. Without the exposure from TUF his career would have been vastly different. For example he might have never joined the MMALab or dropped down to 135.

Michael Chiesa is a fun grappler to watch that is still young.

Tony Ferguson is probably a TUF bust because he never fights but he can put on some interesting performances.

Chris Holdsworth has a legit camp and is young.

I don't get why TUF fighters get ripped on so often. A lot of them were regional champs and/or considered big prospects before they were on the show. Plus, many of the fighters from the show end up having good careers.

OP's avatar is enough evidence to support TUF. Would somebody like Alex Caceres get in the UFC when did without TUF? The answer would be no because he had a 5-2 record. Even if he did make it to the UFC at that time he would have been released after going 0-2. Without the exposure from TUF his career would have been vastly different. For example he might have never joined the MMALab or dropped down to 135.

Tony Ferguson is probably a TUF bust because he never fights but he can put on some interesting performances.

A TUF Bust because he has had a bunch of injuries? GTFO. Ferguson is 4-1 in the UFC with 3 finishes and his only loss to Michael Johnson when he broke his arm early in round 1.

Agreed, Caceres is a great example. Guy should be like 7-0 at bantam weight if he didn't smoke some weed.

The craziest thing I heard from someone is that Chiesa is a boring grappler. The guy is 10-1 with 9 submission wins and goes to WAR. His fight with Masvidal was the shit, he dropped him so hard in the first round, was really pulling for him.

Tony Ferguson is legit dude, he's just had some nagging injuries but I think he'll make a strong comeback. The way he broke Aaron Riley's jaw was just sick.

The TUF product itself might be stale to some (and I can see why) but it's churning out some serious talent. TUF 14 put a lot of good fighters into the UFC, TUF 15 has really hit a stride behind the likes of Jury, Cruickshank and Iaquinta plus some decent prospects like James Vick, TUF 16 we're going to avoid like the plague but 17 and 18 have some guys who look like they could do damage as well.

The TUF product itself might be stale to some (and I can see why) but it's churning out some serious talent. TUF 14 put a lot of good fighters into the UFC, TUF 15 has really hit a stride behind the likes of Jury, Cruickshank and Iaquinta plus some decent prospects like James Vick, TUF 16 we're going to avoid like the plague but 17 and 18 have some guys who look like they could do damage as well.

Kelvin Gastelum is a serious prospect coming out of season 17. Him along with Uriah Hall who still has a lot of upside, Luke Barnatt who's 3-0 in the octagon, Clint Hester is 3-0 in the octagon, Zak Cummings has looked great since dropping to WW as well.

Kelvin Gastelum is a serious prospect coming out of season 17. Him along with Uriah Hall who still has a lot of upside, Luke Barnatt who's 3-0 in the octagon, Clint Hester is 3-0 in the octagon, Zak Cummings has looked great since dropping to WW as well.

And most importantly, they all have the chance to be more than just good fighters. Gastelum could become a big piece of the puzzle they're developing in Mexico. Uriah Hall has the potential to be this super flashy KO guy if he puts it all together. Barnatt could be a big part of getting bigger cards in the UK. Given how many Aussies are falling off the grid recently, they could use Dylan Andrews as well.

And most importantly, they all have the chance to be more than just good fighters. Gastelum could become a big piece of the puzzle they're developing in Mexico. Uriah Hall has the potential to be this super flashy KO guy if he puts it all together. Barnatt could be a big part of getting bigger cards in the UK. Given how many Aussies are falling off the grid recently, they could use Dylan Andrews as well.

Yep, almost forgot about Dylan Andrews too. He was 3-0 and coming off that brutal KO win over Papy Abedi before he tore his shoulder apart in the Hester fight.

Holdsworth is going to be a contender one day

Let's not sleep on Troeng or Samman either.

Samman is a really good prospect, he needs to get healthy. The guy has had nothing but bad luck since getting signed over to the UFC, I feel for the guy. Two sidelining injuries in a row plus his girlfriend of like six years past away. Rough shit man.

3 TUF Winners are fighting all in a row on the FS1 prelims of UFC 173. Chris Holdsworth who won TUF 18, Tony Ferguson who won TUF 13, and Michael Chiesa who won TUF 15. Other than the 3 TUF winners, there is TJ Dillashaw who was a runner up and now fighting for the title in the main event, Al Iaquinta another runner up on the card along with Sam Sicilia, Vinc Pichel and David Michaud.

A lot of TUF winners and vets on this card. I would say this is a good example of TUF actually producing a lot of fighters. I've always been a firm believer in TUF as a talent generator, not so much as a reality show. TUF has consistently produced talent in the UFC, there's a long list of guys still employed post show, and not only employed but doing well.

Dana always says TUF is going nowhere and other than the bullshit staged drama that comes along with putting a bunch of fighters in a house together, I see no reason why it should go anywhere. It has always produced prospects. Maybe not champions, but in most cases, a lot of the guys that were part of the TUF cast improved leaps and bounds post show. The UFC isn't stupid, I think they should get a little more credit for the prospects they've pulled in from TUF, because there are a fuck ton.

What do you guys think?

Dont forget Francisco Trinaldo Massaranduba another for your list!Tuf Brasil 1

I'm just glad they're not carefully booking and feeding the tuf winners matchups in their favor.

I don't watch the show too often, Chris Holdsworth looks impressive. I watched that entire season.

Dont forget Francisco Trinaldo Massaranduba another for your list!Tuf Brasil 1

True, was only pulling from the American TUF rosters, but yes. Trinaldo was a contestant on TUF Brazil, almost forgot that.

Seasons 17 seems to have a lot of prospect. There is like 7/8 guys doing really well in UFC post show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back