3 possible names at LW you´d like to see Aldo fight if he moves up?

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Obviously Khabib, Ferguson or Barboza have too much at stake to accept a fight against Aldo as they´re very close to a TS. They´d have nothing to win and everything to lose.

Diaz won´t fight. Chiesa, Lee and MJ already have a fight scheduled.

So I was thinking some good names that could accept the fight and in a good position in the rankings, would be # 3 Alvarez or #9 Poirier (already fought at FW) who are coming from a NC... or #10 Dariush who is coming off a brutal loss.

So this 3 guys don´t have a winning streak at the moment, so taking a fight against Aldo would make sense for them, imo, and they would be excellent tests for Aldo to show how much potencial he´d have at LW.

My number 1 pick would be Alvarez.

Thoughts?

Aldo is gonna rematch Max and beat him to win back the FW title.

Aldo is gonna rematch Max and beat him to win back the FW title.
I´m a huge Aldo fan too, but it´s highly unlikely he gets a rematch against Max or a TS at FW any time soon.

1. Conor McGregor
2. The Notorious
3. Mystic Mac

I´m a huge Aldo fan too, but it´s highly unlikely he gets a rematch against Max or a TS at FW any time soon.
Likely 2 fights away

He should fight Cub but i think cub wants nothing to do with aldo
Especially with him thinking he somehow deserves a title shot

Likely 2 fights away

He should fight Cub but i think cub wants nothing to do with aldo
Especially with him thinking he somehow deserves a title shot
Swanson is in a bad spot. He got finished by Max

Edgar
Frankie%2BEdgar%2BNeck%2BCranks%2BCub%2BSwanson%2BUFC%2BFight%2BNight%2B57%2BAustin.gif

and Aldo in 7 sec...
Aldo+GIF+Swanson+1.gif

I've always wanted him to fight Ben Henderson. They were champs together for the longest time in the WEC and UFC but that fight never even came close to happening.

Maybe Barboza or Cerrone

Thoughts?

Don't you think he's a bit too small for LW?

People will say that Edgar fought bigger fighters when he was at LW, but they're a lot bigger now than when he was fighting in the division.

I would go with Alvarez as being a good first fight for him if he decides to move up - you have the ex LW Champion against the ex FW Champion. Boom, there's the sell on that fight.

I think he'd have to tweak some things in his game. Holloway is ridiculously tall for the average FW and you could see Aldo was having trouble in the striking at times. I still don't understand why he didn't try to take him down - it seemed like he was locked in to having a Kickboxing fight with Holloway and swung and missed a lot of shots.

Obviously Khabib, Ferguson or Barboza have too much at stake to accept a fight against Aldo as they´re very close to a TS. They´d have nothing to win and everything to lose.

Diaz won´t fight. Chiesa, Lee and MJ already have a fight scheduled.

So I was thinking some good names that could accept the fight and in a good position in the rankings, would be # 3 Alvarez or #9 Poirier (already fought at FW) who are coming from a NC... or #10 Dariush who is coming off a brutal loss.

So this 3 guys don´t have a winning streak at the moment, so taking a fight against Aldo would make sense for them, imo, and they would be excellent tests for Aldo to show how much potencial he´d have at LW.

My number 1 pick would be Alvarez.

Thoughts?

Well said op. I agree. Ed would be a great test at 155. Poirier at 155 would be a good start too.

I'd like to see Aldo vs the Johnson/Gaethje winner. Perhaps Aldo vs Khabib even.

Khabib, Nate or Tony for the interim title.

Don't you think he's a bit too small for LW?

People will say that Edgar fought bigger fighters when he was at LW, but they're a lot bigger now than when he was fighting in the division.

I would go with Alvarez as being a good first fight for him if he decides to move up - you have the ex LW Champion against the ex FW Champion. Boom, there's the sell on that fight.

I think he'd have to tweak some things in his game. Holloway is ridiculously tall for the average FW and you could see Aldo was having trouble in the striking at times. I still don't understand why he didn't try to take him down - it seemed like he was locked in to having a Kickboxing fight with Holloway and swung and missed a lot of shots.
That's actually a good point about LW size. Watched Maynard/Rdgar III the other day and I'd always thought Maynard was a monster LW but actually his dimensions are pretty standard nowadays, there are plenty of bigger guys.

Aldo would be a small LW. That doesn't mean he can't win. Maybe start him off vs Poirier/Alvarez winner or Beniel if one thinks he should start a bit lower down the ranks.

Khabib the most compelling one for me.

Anti-wrestler vs human bear

I don´t think Diaz would take that fight, he´d never take the fight to the ground and his achilles heel are leg kicks.

Now if we only knew someone who threw leg kicks... :D

Max_FPS.png

Interestingly, the Diaz fight may be Aldo's only avenue to try & get some respect back from the Conor loss. If he can finish Diaz off, or dominate him more than Conor did... then at least people can have a better idea of what could've happened if him & Conor's fight lasted more than 13 seconds. MMAth doesn't work... but it would be pretty much Aldo's only shot at getting some kind of retaliation.

Last edited:
That's actually a good point about LW size. Watched Maynard/Rdgar III the other day and I'd always thought Maynard was a monster LW but actually his dimensions are pretty standard nowadays, there are plenty of bigger guys.

Yeah, I remember Edgar against Henderson and thinking that while Edgar was definitely competitive with him, Henderson used his strength to get out of certain spots more than technique. Aldo can bulk up, but he can't add inches to his height.

Aldo would be a small LW. That doesn't mean he can't win. Maybe start him off vs Poirier/Alvarez winner or Beniel if one thinks he should start a bit lower down the ranks.

I think there's certain fights that would suit him. But if he has Nurmagomedov on top of him or any LW for that matter, he's going to have a hard time getting back up, imo, as good as his TDD is - Nurmagomedov is bigger and has that freakish strength. Ferguson as well with his reach would give him a lot of trouble.

I'm not so sure Aldo would be content fighting the mid-tier fighters at LW. He obviously has a very good skill-set, but even at FW he doesn't mix it up too much and I think that's partially why Conor and Holloway knew what to expect from him. We always hear about his ground game, but he never uses it offensively, and against certain LW's, I don't think he'd get away with being on his back almost taking a break when he's tiring with a heavier fighter on top of him

Yeah, I remember Edgar against Henderson and thinking that while Edgar was definitely competitive with him, Henderson used his strength to get out of certain spots more than technique. Aldo can bulk up, but he can't add inches to his height.

I think there's certain fights that would suit him. But if he has Nurmagomedov on top of him or any LW for that matter, he's going to have a hard time getting back up, imo, as good as his TDD is - Nurmagomedov is bigger and has that freakish strength. Ferguson as well with his reach would give him a lot of trouble.

I'm not so sure Aldo would be content fighting the mid-tier fighters at LW. He obviously has a very good skill-set, but even at FW he doesn't mix it up too much and I think that's partially why Conor and Holloway knew what to expect from him. We always hear about his ground game, but he never uses it offensively, and against certain LW's, I don't think he'd get away with being on his back almost taking a break when he's tiring with a heavier fighter on top of him
I think Aldo may struggle at LW with some of the guys' top games, sure. Is Khabib even coming back to LW? He's missed weight twice now and he's a big guy for 155.

I think Aldo may struggle at LW with some of the guys' top games, sure. Is Khabib even coming back to LW? He's missed weight twice now and he's a big guy for 155.

Yeah, that's another issue. When Helwani asked him if he'd consider moving up to WW, he said he'd never fight at that weight. I'm pretty sure he threw his name into the hat to fight Conor at 170.

Sure who knows, that shady doofus who manages him went on about how his kidneys were shutting down and how "he realised at that moment he was human" <31>

He said he wants to come back at 155, but if your kidney's are failing after your last cut, you'd think he'd put his health first or not pile on the lbs when not training for a fight.

Back