3 diffrent jab footwork ways?

stinkoman

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I did a search and cant find what im looking for.

Im new to boxing and ive been shown 3 diffrent ways on how I should jab properly.Each are diffrent but Im comfortable doing them as properly as I can with my skill level,but Im wondering should I learn how to do 1 or will trying to learn all 3 mess me? Or is any of these bad technique>

1. Basic step and jab at the same time.What most have instructed me to do.

2.In proper stance. Lead legs pivots kinda like a hook, but more forward and weight shifting wtih hips. Even ok to push off wtih the right.I think this was also off Duane Ludwigs sight,explaining how you dont need to step but can shift your own body movement forward.

3.This one is kinda hard to explain.This is from a ringisde video boxing basics 1. The boxer is like steping/rasing his right foot to the balls of his feet with out leaving the groud with his right foot to whip his left shoulder forward and dose not step with his lead.

Are all 3 of these okay to learn?

Jab footwork is complicated. The first way is the best way to throw a heavy, hard jab. Sometimes you jab while moving back, or as a counter, however, in which case you don't step into it, and there is more arm and should twist to give it force. That's more like the second type. The third type you mention, I don't understand.

It's okay to practice all three, but I think the first type of footwork, the basic, is the most important type of jab if you want to use it as a primary weapon (as opposed to using it for defense or to set up other punches).

I really don't like to pivot my front foot too much, since it turns me away from my opponent. I would go with the first one, but you should also learn how to jab going backwards and sideways.

Doesn't hurt to know different ways, and I wouldn't say there's a "correct" way. Go with whatever your coach advises, otherwise he may not be able to coach you on it.

Jab using different footwork, the technique of the punch itself never changes but it will make it different to throw when you work different angles, when you shadow and do pads make sure to get the jab in at all angles.

My problem is with throwing a punch as I go to the right side.
My stance is regular (left foot to the ront). I have been told to do the following to move and jab as I go to the right.

Starting with the regular stance, move my backward (right) foot to the right, punch as I do this, then as I drag my front (left) foot to the right I am supposed to throw another punch (this time not a jab but a right hand).

I find this very difficult and counterintuitive. Is it just me or is there something wrong with this technique??

thanks guys.

dude, i have that exact problem...lol feels unnatural and inneficient when on the bag

musclemax said:
My problem is with throwing a punch as I go to the right side.
My stance is regular (left foot to the ront). I have been told to do the following to move and jab as I go to the right.

Starting with the regular stance, move my backward (right) foot to the right, punch as I do this, then as I drag my front (left) foot to the right I am supposed to throw another punch (this time not a jab but a right hand).

I find this very difficult and counterintuitive. Is it just me or is there something wrong with this technique??

thanks guys.

try throw the jab when youre pushing off of your left foot instead of merely stepping to the right with your right foot. you want your weight to be at the place where youre throwing the jab, then quickly shifting it to your right foot to get traction for the right hand.

oh yah and for the topic starter...
remember to not lunge in when throwing a jab by stepping too far forward, instead throw a series of jabs while stepping forward with short steps quickly and throw away the number three jab footwork. its for more for throwing right hands.

Footwork is essenstial and feies the speed of the jab, as bob&weave rightly mentioned short steps on the balls of yr feet help in movement in all directions, this type of foot work is more exhausting but is more effective in countering and power production of punches such as jab slip left to slip their jab come across with yr left hook, this movement is a by-product of footwork and lateral movement. To cut it short footwork in short quick movements

Back