3 Choices in where to train...

Well, it's a BJJ, Kickboxing, and MMA difference...

I know, but I just mean which instructors seem the most qualified?

Not sure what your goals are but since you asked in the grappling forum...

Norcal has an ATT black belt bjj instructor.

Morriseys' doesn't even have a bjj program. Only mma and kickboxing.

Don't know anything about Allegiance.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is offered on Tuesday and Thursday nights; 5:30-6:15PM for kids and 6:15-7:30PM for adults. Saturdays Classes are for adults and begin at 12:00PM. Please drop by for a free week of lessons and pass on the word to others who have a desire to learn this Art

Northern California Martial Arts

Dave Hogan has controversy surrounding him, according to nhbforums.

Morrissey is affiliated with Marinoble, who is legit, but other than that I have no idea about him.

Meier is a BB under Liborio.

I would go with Meier.

Okay, thanks for the input everyone. I'll be checking out a BJJ class with meier tomorrow.

Stay away, stay away, stay away from Allegiance. Dave Hagon is a downright fraud and I can't believe he has students. He knows almost nothing about grappling and even less about striking. He's also a complete douche.

Flavio is a great guy with very solid BJJ. BJJ at Nor Cal is $90 a month or so.

The guys are Morrissey's are very nice and they seem to put out pretty decent kickboxers. Don't be fooled, though. You are learning American/International rules kickboxing, not Muay Thai. It's good, it's just not MT, as they might lead you to believe. They also have an "MMA" class which includes striking, takedowns, subs, GNP, etc. If I had the money, I would take kickboxing and "MMA" at Morrissey's and BJJ at NorCal.

If you want to tighten up your striking on a budget, Woodland Boxing Club is run through the city and costs like $22 a month for 3 hours every night Mon-Fri. The instructor has produced Silver and Golden Gloves champs and even an Olympian in Vicente Escobedo.

Are you from woodland, by any chance?

Sacramento, but I know the Sacramento-area MMA scene very well. I have friends that live in Woodland and my wife works in Davis. I keep an eye out when I see a new gym or anything open up anywhere in the Sacramento area.

I had an experience with Hagon when he was teaching his garbage-jitsu class in Davis at Elite Instinct. I took a few classes at Elite here and there as I often spend the day with my wife in Davis and wind up getting bored when she has to get back to work. That's where I also met Flavio, as he and Mauro Ayres (a Carlson Gracie black belt) were brought in to replace Hagon after word got out the Dave Hagon sucked ass and basically promoted himself to black belt in BJJ and having no verifiable formal training in it. I take that back, he MIGHT be a high white belt/low blue belt. But it's obviously been a few years since he's rolled at a legit gym.

Dave knows a few sweeps and submissions and is pretty big and strong, but fat, so he gets position mostly through strength and impresses noobs because he shows them a basic armbar or triangle. But a good blue belt from any legit gym should be able to tap him.

never train anywhere that teaches less than 10 different martial arts. otherwise it might take you more than a year to get your blackbelt

The deciding factor when I picked which school to go to in NYC was the 'pressuring' factor. If they tell you on the phone to make sure and bring your credit cards and it's a special one time discount rate they're giving you and you have to sign up right away and there is a 2 year contract to get your blue belt etc..... I cross those schools off the list.

The school I picked there is a month to month fee, no pressure. My instructor only wants dedicated people, and if you want to come to class and get better and spend time on the mat, you pay the monthly fee....Guys who come on once in a while to class; get hurt and spaz and ;end up hurting someone else...

Back