25 Minority Characters That Hollywood Whitewashed

We've reached the point where it's cool to cast black actors, but Asians still get the shaft.

I dont like forced affirmative action type casting thats going on with a lot of roles today like making Captain Marvel a female, or changing a comic character to a gay or tranny just to appease some left wing agenda.

Asians dont complain, its why they get the shaft, they are literally still doing it to Asians though because they dont complain. If they do cast an Asian they try to kill two birds with one stone, they will cast a gay Asian or something, a lot of those medical dramas had few Asians but if anyone knows real life they have MANY asian nurses and doctors at big city hospitals.

But you cant really blame hollywood they know most of America will not watch a movie like Ghost in the Shell if the leads were Asians, or 21 if it was true to form with Asians.

They study this and know it thats why studios recast these roles with white actors, because an all Asian cast is not going to make money in America and if it does its an exception and rarity like Crouching Tiger.

Rico was Filipino in the Starship Troopers book. But in the movie he is from Argentina.

I think cleopatra could have been white, she had greek roots but who knows.

I dont like forced affirmative action type casting thats going on with a lot of roles today like making Captain Marvel a female, or changing a comic character to a gay or tranny just to appease some left wing agenda.

Asians dont complain, its why they get the shaft, they are literally still doing it to Asians though because they dont complain. If they do cast an Asian they try to kill two birds with one stone, they will cast a gay Asian or something, a lot of those medical dramas had few Asians but if anyone knows real life they have MANY asian nurses and doctors at big city hospitals.

But you cant really blame hollywood they know most of America will not watch a movie like Ghost in the Shell if the leads were Asians, or 21 if it was true to form with Asians.

They study this and know it thats why studios recast these roles with white actors, because an all Asian cast is not going to make money in America and if it does its an exception and rarity like Crouching Tiger.

How many Asian parents are going to help their kids pay the rent in NYC or LA, so they can pursue a pipe dream of becoming an actor? I knew one Asian girl that was hot and a bartender in NYC that had a degree from a good school and a rich daddy, but that has to be rare. If you can get a good job in the hospital or equivalent, why take the risk of trying to become an actor?

male asian actors always, and to this day, get the shaft by hollywood.

John Wayne is the closest we'll ever see to a modern day Genghis Khan...

Remember that terrible movie based on a good book Rising Sun.

Widely accused of Japan bashing.

Changed the protagonist from white to black and tried to add racial tension.

Changed the murder from Japanese to a white guy.

On a good note it did at least have a lot of Asians in the movie.

Had the hottest most voluptuous red head I have ever seen in a movie. OK, that has nothing to do with this thread, but it had to be said.

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/04/25-minority-characters-that-hollywood-whitewashed/

never knew 21 that black jack movie was a real story and it was all Asian students from MIT why not just cast Asian actors?

There are obviously more than those listed.

Im one of those guys who believe if the role is originally black, white, asian dont change it cast accordingly. I dont like when they cast black actors in traditionally white roles either and im black, just create new characters.

It seems Asians have it the worst though, they still get white washed, they actually put more effort in adding Gays and Trannies, if you think about it, Hollywood has more Gays and Trannies on TV and film than Asian leads.

As long as liberals control Hollywood it's not going to change.

Even Crouching Tiger exemplifies the problem. Asians can't be anything but kung-fu masters, doctors or emasculated nerds in Hollywood.

I'm telling you, someone like Justin Lin needs to come along and make another Better Luck Tomorrow type joint.

I thought Sung Kang or Byung-hun Lee were going to make some moves, but alas...

I support the director's right to make the best film possible, and if that means they use a talented white actor rather than a sub-par inuit, then I'm fine with it.

However, that means the director has to live with the consequences if it doesn't work out well.

images

There's a documentary about the MIT Blackjack team and I wouldn't add that movie to the "whitewashed" list. The MIT team had A LOT of members. It wasn't just 5 people and it was a diverse group of kids. I don't know how they decided the lead character should have been asian.

Also, watching the documentary, A LOT has been changed when making this movie, especially Kevin Spacey's character. The guy Kevin Spacey's character was based on wasn't some seedy high roller mastermind. He was some goofy, old nerd who created the team along with a couple other MIT alumni.

I so don't care. It's called 'acting' for a reason. 'Oh Noes! Johnny Depp isn't really a full-blooded Apache!!' Good god, shut the fuck up.

If I watch any movie, any performance, all I care about is whether the quality is good or bad. That's it. I do not give a fuck what color they are, or what their passport says.

Carol Danvers has been Captain Marvel/Ms. Marvel for quite a while. She's who everybody associates with that mantle.

so they prefer to cast people who are good at acting. i see.

Back