2022 Heavies Awards KO of the Year Winner: Leon Edwards

What's your KO of the year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I got the Leon KO winning. Amazing head kick KO out of nowhere with a beautiful simple set up, Usman out cold for the first time ever, derailed a huge win streak, P4P number one KO'd, WW championship and lastly adding Leon's journey to the belt makes it way better.

Shout out to Jeremiah Wells KO over McGee tho, that one was pretty brutal.

Those are all wonderful but it can only be Leon.

Shoutout to Topuria and Dober.

Topuria has two of my favorite knockouts in the last few years. The combination punching, ripping to the body to open up the knockout punch and just the crushing power and speed. It's definitely high level and not common to see hands that good in MMA along with this much raw talent. His KO of Damon Jackson was also pretty nuts, their bodies crumbled to the ground.

Topuria has two of my favorite knockouts in the last few years. The combination punching, ripping to the body to open up the knockout punch and just the crushing power and speed. It's definitely high level and not common to see hands that good in MMA along with this much raw talent. His KO of Damon Jackson was also pretty nuts, their bodies crumbled to the ground.
I haven't been that impressed with his hands apart from the speed and power but maybe I need to pay more attention. His raw talent is off the charts. Easily top 5 athlete in UFC.

Voted Leon.
It encompasses so many aspects of why this sport can be appealing.

That said, even if it were an Apex undercard fight between unranked guys, the KO would still be lovely.

I was so happy for Leon too. Life gives you such moments of bliss sometimes. It's even better when you fought so hard for it. He can be proud of himself, no matter how long he stays champ.

Voted Leon.
It encompasses so many aspects of why this sport can be appealing.

That said, even if it were an Apex undercard fight between unranked guys, the KO would still be lovely.

I was so happy for Leon too. Life gives you such moments of bliss sometimes. It's even better when you fought so hard for it. He can be proud of himself, no matter how long he stays champ.
Very well said my friend.

Leon over Usman. It was basically a real life version of a movie. Title fight, on his way to a loss, coach giving a speech and a last minute emphatic finish.

Chandler did have the most vicious KO. Came out of nowhere and looked as if you could see Fergs soul leave his body. Without the intangibles of the Leon KO, Chandler's would win.

Chandler cos it was a better KO.

If Topuria and Herbet was in 2022... that was a BOMB of a knockout

I haven't been that impressed with his hands apart from the speed and power but maybe I need to pay more attention. His raw talent is off the charts. Easily top 5 athlete in UFC.

Agreed, I've definitely said hes one of the best athletes in the UFC on here a bunch too. Yeah, at range he can be a little overzealous and wild and his defense needs to get better, he's particularly bad at blocking high kicks but in the pocket he's fantastic, he puts combinations together very well, works high and low to create openings and his punching is pretty tight. Ontop of being good on the inside, like boxing distance he's also very strong in the wrestling clinch. I'm interested in seeing him vs someone who's also quick, good at striking and does well fighting longer like a Kattar, Allen, Max, Volk etc I think they could definitely offer him some trouble both striking and just straight up his cardio. But his pocket work is very good and where he scored those crazy knockouts from a 3 and 4 punch combination.

Chandler ko on Tony was a cool highlight, but it was a washed up sacrificial lamb getting KOed so that severely limits how exciting it could possibly be

With the stakes and the comeback nature of it, definitely Leon vs Usman for me for best KO of 2022

Agreed, I've definitely said hes one of the best athletes in the UFC on here a bunch too. Yeah, at range he can be a little overzealous and wild and his defense needs to get better, he's particularly bad at blocking high kicks but in the pocket he's fantastic, he puts combinations together very well, works high and low to create openings and his punching is pretty tight. Ontop of being good on the inside, like boxing distance he's also very strong in the wrestling clinch. I'm interested in seeing him vs someone who's also quick, good at striking and does well fighting longer like a Kattar, Allen, Max, Volk etc I think they could definitely offer him some trouble both striking and just straight up his cardio. But his pocket work is very good and where he scored those crazy knockouts from a 3 and 4 punch combination.
Yeah he definitely has the right striking style for his talent, just needs to refine it. Would be great if he could copy a guy like Gastelum who was great at slipping and getting on the inside. You're right about those 4 guys though, they are terrible matchups for him. Luckily for Topuria they're all getting old...

Gotta be Leon, not just an awesome KO but the importance of it and the context of it in terms of coming from behind.

Chandler ko on Tony was a cool highlight, but it was a washed up sacrificial lamb getting KOed so that severely limits how exciting it could possibly be
No. No it doesnt. You can only say that after the fact. Watching it live,was fucking incredible.

Back