Elections 2020 Democratic Primary Thread: The Announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.
We certainly have a common view in this area. To get the immediate satisfaction they crave, they're willing to inflict damage upon the long term health of the country, for reasons that escape me, other than hedonism maybe.
We're careening off the cliff and the establishment incremental approach does not work.

By electing the Hillary's and the Biden's we're just delaying the inevitable and securing the final fall toward complete fascism.

These people have no legitimate plan to provide the relief the poor and working so desperately need. Like tuition debt forgiveness or providing universal health care for all- including the 30,000,000 Americans the ACA left out.

No, their solution is to fully maintain the status quo of the past 3 decades that has seen working class Americans' wages compete against third world countries and the destructive push toward underemployment which has only added to their despair.

So essentially, in the words of the great Hillary Ramrod Clinton "What difference does it make?!!!"

Specific Thread:
Tulsi Gabbard just (informally) announced she is running for President

Tulsi Gabbard to run for president
Politico

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard said Friday that she is running for president.

“I have decided to run and will be making a formal announcement within the next week,” she said during an interview on CNN's "The Van Jones Show."

Specific Thread:
Julián Castro expected to formally announce 2020 presidential bid today 11am EST

Democrat Julian Castro expected to launch 2020 U.S. presidential bid
Reuters
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Texas Democrat Julian Castro, a former San Antonio mayor who went on to be the top U.S. housing official, was expected to formally announce his White House bid on Saturday, the first Hispanic in what looks to be a crowded field of candidates vying to challenge President Donald Trump in the November 2020 election.

Castro launches 2020 bid with nod to party’s future
Politico

SAN ANTONIO, Texas — When 44-year-old Julián Castro officially launches his presidential campaign Saturday, he’ll be one of the youngest candidates in the prospective 2020 Democratic field. And he’ll be first — and likely only — Latino candidate.

That could give Castro an edge in a key early presidential state — Nevada has the highest percentage of Hispanic voters of the four early voting states. And it’s likewise an asset in California, which stands to cast a long shadow over the Democratic presidential primary now that its primary has been moved forward to early March.

Last edited:
The 5 Corners Of The 2020 Democratic Primary
Five Thirty Eight
silver-DEMLANES-PART1.png

So for the 2020 Democratic nomination, we’ve resolved to entertain multiple hypotheses about the contest simultaneously. Perhaps the party will decide, and so we should be looking at how much support each candidate has from party elites. Perhaps the candidate most dissimilar to Trump will win, and so we should be evaluating the candidates based on that criteria. Perhaps the primary is just so hard to forecast that you might as well look at the polling, crude as it might be. (It has more predictive power than you might think.)

It's pretty obvious the maker of this chart is a supporter of Kamala Harris. They're being very generous with her span of support. "The left" sees her as an establishment candidate. This chart maker is pretty clearly trying to make Harris seem as though she's the strongest candidate despite this.

The Cory Booker chart is pure fantasy. Cory Booker will be lucky to get more votes than Martin O'Malley did in the primary.

It's pretty obvious the maker of this chart is a supporter of Kamala Harris. They're being very generous with her span of support. "The left" sees her as an establishment candidate. This chart maker is pretty clearly trying to make Harris seem as though she's the strongest candidate despite this.

The Cory Booker chart is pure fantasy. Cory Booker will be lucky to get more votes than Martin O'Malley did in the primary.

I thought it was odd how much they gave to Harris. I do find it odd how they came up with the groups. Two are just race based which is lazy imo.

AP sources: Gillibrand moving toward 2020 bid in coming days
Associated Press
91617efad1f44185a7049f9889415ed6.jpg

WASHINGTON (AP) — Several people familiar with Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand's plans say the New York Democrat is expected to take steps toward launching a presidential campaign in the coming days by forming an exploratory committee.

One person says Gillibrand will likely announce her intentions ahead of a trip to Iowa this weekend. She will be a guest Tuesday night on CBS' "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert."

The people spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to speak on Gillibrand's timing. Gillibrand's representatives didn't comment Monday on her plans.

Gillibrand to visit 'The Late Show' amid reported 2020 plans
The Hill
kirstengillibrand.jpg

Another potential 2020 White House contender is headed to late-night TV. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) will appear on “The Late Show” with Stephen Colbert on Tuesday.

Filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan is the other guest booked for the show, the network announced Monday.

Gillibrand, 52, is expected to “take steps toward launching a presidential campaign in the coming days by forming an exploratory committee,” The Associated Press reported Monday.

LMAO Gillibrands a younger Killary.I think the corporate whore Dem boat is full by now

He went soft when push came to shove.
Nah, Bernie did what he's done for 40+ years: fight the good fight. In 2020 Superdelegates will not choose the DNC nominee. Also, whoever that person is will likely support Bernie's Medicare for all policy.

Bernie won major battles from the inside; that's the real story for the DNC from 2016 until today, and it hasn't gotten enough press.

The DNC voted to strip superdelegates of their powers.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...or-2020/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.37d8b0c218ae

"It is the mark of a mature man to live humbly for a worthy cause."

giphy.gif

Gillibrand announced her candidacy on Colbert, saying, “As a young mom, I’m going to fight just as hard for other people’s kids as hard as I would fight for my own.”

Lol, “young mom”... this chick 52.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/15/6782...en-gillibrand-announces-2020-presidential-run
Yeah and she was about 37 when she had her first kid lol. I think she means she's the mom of a young kid, a 10 year old. I wouldn't nail her on that. Wouldn't nail her, period. Especially not on her period.

Yeah and she was about 37 when she had her first kid lol. I think she means she's the mom of a young kid, a 10 year old. I wouldn't nail her on that. Wouldn't nail her, period. Especially not on her period.
Lol.

Maybe she just means young for a vampire.

Lol.

Maybe she just means young for a vampire.
That vampire thing was all a big mix up that got distorted by the media. She heard there were donations happening somewhere and when she showed up to collect them, it turned out it was a blood drive. The fact that her chin was dripping with blood when they found her, and also her pockets filled with bags of blood and also her fangs that were dripping with blood were all a result of the ensuing confusion. She swears that she no longer associates with blood drives, and is now officially anti-blood drive.

Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown Moves Closer To Joining 2020 Campaign

My man. Blackest name in the race.

That vampire thing was all a big mix up that got distorted by the media. She heard there were donations happening somewhere and when she showed up to collect them, it turned out it was a blood drive. The fact that her chin was dripping with blood when they found her, and also her pockets filled with bags of blood and also her fangs that were dripping with blood were all a result of the ensuing confusion. She swears that she no longer associates with blood drives, and is now officially anti-blood drive.
Lol. Damn shame this is pearls before swine.

I'm not seeing reasoning behind Gillibrand's candidacy. She'd be behind three female senators running and isn't even a viable V.P candidate.

Here is the problem with Gillebrand:

1. Me too front runner who has angered everyone from Soros to Bill Maher over her basically getting Al Franken thrown out of the Senate. You can bet MeToo will be a huge part of her campaign and I don't think that is a good platform.
2. She threw the Clintons under the bus. Both these things make her look opportunist. Good section of the party does not like her. Soros threatened to pull money over her shenanigans.

I thought it was odd how much they gave to Harris. I do find it odd how they came up with the groups. Two are just race based which is lazy imo.

What's remotely surprising about either? They are two of my least favorite likely candidates, but their graphics seems to be what should be expected: Harris should pull well from black voters (she's black), Asian/Hispanics (she is a Senator from fucking California), and moderately well from party loyalists (she has been probably the most visible opponent of the Trump administration).

And the right-wing screeching about Booker is likewise idiotic. He has been the golden child in waiting for 9 years: he has impeccable pedigree, good experience, and is an exceptional public speaker. I don't think he has the level of popularity with millennials that is reflected in that graphic, but who knows.

This was bad optics at the very least, but I've read conflicting reports on how significant the agreement actually was. Don't know enough to comment intelligently.

The US is leading the world in cutting down emissions. Us not signing agreements to transfer our wealth to the endless pit of corruption that is the 3rd world is not the issue. They need China and India to sign and actually follow through.
This was a positive.

What's remotely surprising about either? They are two of my least favorite likely candidates, but their graphics seems to be what should be expected: Harris should pull well from black voters (she's black), Asian/Hispanics (she is a Senator from fucking California), and moderately well from party loyalists (she has been probably the most visible opponent of the Trump administration).

And the right-wing screeching about Booker is likewise idiotic. He has been the golden child in waiting for 9 years: he has impeccable pedigree, good experience, and is an exceptional public speaker. I don't think he has the level of popularity with millennials that is reflected in that graphic, but who knows.

Going by the graph, it seems like she is the front runner so if she destroys the competition, I guess the graph made sense. I just thought they could’ve did the matrix better. The 2016 GOP one they did covered five groups too but it wasn’t race based. I understand that the GOP is less diverse but they should come up with better coalitions than black and hispanic. You somewhat pointed out how shallow that criteria could be (Harris is black and thus will do good with black voters). Worried this is going to open a can of worms but I’m just saying you could find wings of the party broken down by policy differences instead.

Going by the graph, it seems like she is the front runner so if she destroys the competition, I guess the graph made sense. I just thought they could’ve did the matrix better. The 2016 GOP one they did covered five groups too but it wasn’t race based. I understand that the GOP is less diverse but they should come up with better coalitions than black and hispanic. You somewhat pointed out how shallow that criteria could be (Harris is black and thus will do good with black voters). Worried this is going to open a can of worms but I’m just saying you could find wings of the party broken down by policy differences instead.

I don't have a problem with the criteria, as black voters and Hispanic voters are two key constituencies that have unique interests that cannot be correlated non-racially. I don't know that Asian Americans necessarily are, and I do think that independents would have been a good category, but meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back