2017 NFL Draft Discussion v1

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I'm not the one saying college sucks. Btw, how long was that walk since it took you a whole day to reply? lmao
Had to actually work. It was awful.

And I was patching holes in my wall.

Had to actually work. It was awful.

And I was patching holes in my wall.

I have punched and kick so many walls I am a master at the "wall patch". I've always assumed other Raider fans were skilled at this as well.

Sidney Jones tore his Achilles at his pro day. That sucks

Just read about that. A team willing to wait on him being able to take the field is going to get a helluva player.

What do you guys think about Zach Cunningham? He really needs to work on his tackling technique, but I think that is fixable. Becoming a draft crush of mine

What do you guys think about Zach Cunningham? He really needs to work on his tackling technique, but I think that is fixable. Becoming a draft crush of mine
Like him a lot. Definitely needs to wrap up more.

Like him a lot. Definitely needs to wrap up more.

I havent watched film on Cunningham, but this is one of my biggest pet peeves about defensive players coming out of the draft.

If theyre bad tacklers in college, why on earth would they suddenly become fundamentally sound tacklers in the pros? I dont even give a shit about if a player makes good "form" tackles or not. I mean, how many perfect form tackles do you see in an actual game, ffs? What matters, especially for a LB, is the ability to take a ball carrier down once theyre engaged. If Cunningham sucks at taking poor angles to the ball carrier, tendencies for arm tackling or ankle biting, or whiffs in the open field...it's not going to get better when he gets to the next level.

Starting to see a lot of mock with the Bears passing on Allen for Solomon. Can he stand up?

I havent watched film on Cunningham, but this is one of my biggest pet peeves about defensive players coming out of the draft.

If theyre bad tacklers in college, why on earth would they suddenly become fundamentally sound tacklers in the pros? I dont even give a shit about if a player makes good "form" tackles or not. I mean, how many perfect form tackles do you see in an actual game, ffs? What matters, especially for a LB, is the ability to take a ball carrier down once theyre engaged. If Cunningham sucks at taking poor angles to the ball carrier, tendencies for arm tackling or ankle biting, or whiffs in the open field...it's not going to get better when he gets to the next level.
Meh. Fundamentals can always be worked on.

Cunningham doesnt take the best angles but he doesnt let up on them either. Goes high quite often.

Hes got a nose for the ball. Happily take him to Oakland.

Like PUO3 said, I wouldn't say his angles are bad. He is always around the ball and in on the play. He just goes way to high way, often.. He can be a violent hitter, but he also likes to grab and slam guys back, also might not work at the next level.

I think my favorite thing about him is the way he takes on blocks, have seen videos of him blowing up TEs/OL that he takes on heads up.

>>Side note - I think you can teach tackling. I don't think the Seahawks just draft good tacklers, I believe they develop it. They have cool videos on youtube of the seahawk roll, etc, that they teach

Meh. Fundamentals can always be worked on.

Cunningham doesnt take the best angles but he doesnt let up on them either. Goes high quite often.

Hes got a nose for the ball. Happily take him to Oakland.

Cunningham could be a stud. The pros could far outweigh the cons. I'll concede those points (I havent even watched his film). I just think it's worrisome for a guy to have poor tackling form/high % of missed tackes as a LB. At the NFL level teams arent going live often; its hard to replicate game fits in drills.

Like PUO3 said, I wouldn't say his angles are bad. He is always around the ball and in on the play. He just goes way to high way, often.. He can be a violent hitter, but he also likes to grab and slam guys back, also might not work at the next level.

I think my favorite thing about him is the way he takes on blocks, have seen videos of him blowing up TEs/OL that he takes on heads up.

>>Side note - I think you can teach tackling. I don't think the Seahawks just draft good tacklers, I believe they develop it. They have cool videos on youtube of the seahawk roll, etc, that they teach

The side note: I'll check out those vids. I do think every fundamental CAN be taught, but it's harder to teach tackling at the pro level.

The side note: I'll check out those vids. I do think every fundamental CAN be taught, but it's harder to teach tackling at the pro level.

Stuff like this. Lots of basic stuff, but the rugby style and roll is something you see them doing as a team more then anyone else. And that team has been one of the better tackling teams during Carroll's tenure

Cunningham did 15 reps of 225 at the combine. That's pretty weak.

Stuff like this. Lots of basic stuff, but the rugby style and roll is something you see them doing as a team more then anyone else. And that team has been one of the better tackling teams during Carroll's tenure

Im about 5 minutes through the vid. The rugby style and Hawk roll are good shit. It seems so obvious for football players to utilize some rugby tackling techniques, but to see it drilled and actually presented in kind of a mission statement is cool. Seems like Cunningham should go to the Hawks. lol. Dont see a lot of teams adopting that idealogy- which they should. I especially like their keying leverage fits on the inside hip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back