2016, a year in review, share what you've learned/experienced.

Plutoburn

Alpha booze head
@Silver
Reaction score
New Year resolutions are a lot easier to accomplish if you actually set tangible steps and time frames. Instead of wishing to lose weight, make goals on how much fat loss to accomplish by a certain deadline, and specifically what to do to accomplish it.

Elections is just a type of marketing but a lot of people mistaken it for PSA. It's all about saying the things that the voter (consumer) likes and will accept rather than informing them. I don't think Trump will build a wall and make Mexico pay for it, but it sounded great to enough Americans that mattered (battle ground states). At the same time, all the other outlandish things he said, I also take it with a grain of salt. His predecessor, Obama promised change, but I don't really feel there was much change. I could be wrong, time will tell.

More and more of our possessions are taken over by cheap crap that we don't care for and thrown out at first sign of . I remember my grandfather owns significantly less things than my generation (I'm in my mid30s), but the fewer things he owned are made of much better quality and are cared for and repaired. I feel like this trend also carries over to our relationship with people. Especially with social media, friends are becoming more disposable, less valued, and damage go unrepaired because it's a lot easier to make new online friends.

Are movies based/inspired by real life events inherently better? I've noticed movies in the Oscar discussion, the percentage of movie based on true story are creeping up in the past few years. And this also made me thought of two movies I watched recently, Flight and Sully. While Flight borrowed certain elements of story that actually happened, most of it is made up, Sully on the other hand, is much more faithfully recreated based on Miracle on Hudson.

There seems to be an unusual onslaught of celebrity death news to close out the year. While I think it's important to honour these people, reflect on their positive impact and accomplishment, it is also important to think on those loved ones that are still with us: people such as grandparents, or parents that you haven't see in a while, good friends from way back that you've lost touch, etc...

I like to end the post by saying I am thankful for what I have for 2016. I got married this year to a beautiful wife who I am getting along splendidly, I've made a few great friends that I want to keep for the years and decades to come and my career has been going quite smoothly. I have some specific goals for 2017 that I won't post in detail here, but the result I hope is that I become a better person to those around me.

Overall I had a good year:
-got away from a toxic ex gf
-Started dating an amazing girl
-graduated from UNCC

This year did suck ass for video games and movies though (only a few solid movies and no games i gave a single f about)

the beginning of the year was super tough for me. I lost my oldest Aunt. she was a personal hero of mine, so I took it really hard. my relationship with her was one of a kind, she's one of strongest pillars in the foundation of my life, all fortified by the values she's instilled within me since childhood to which I still cherish to this very day.

she took a LOT of secrets with her to the grave, & a lot of them had to do with the family drama she had to endure through with her generation in my family's lineage. I pieced a lot of shit together & learned a lot of these secrets where they made me love her even more, especially for the love she & her husband (my favorite uncle) had for my mom & dad.

I know kinda vague, but the point of this is that I'm passing on her values to the next generation of youngsters in my family's lineage, & I'm blessed as all hell to have their love & respect. as my aunt was the favorite to everyone in my generation, I'm the favorite to the all youngsters in the generation after.

without family, there's nothing.

Last edited:
My year started off brutal, but overall was a great year.

2016 is the year that I got clean and sober.

May 18 2016

It was an insane year, I traveled across the country and had my third child.

A lot happened, which I would say, but i have friends who read this forum. ;)

the beginning of the year was super tough for me. I lost my oldest Aunt. she was a personal hero of mine, so I took it really hard. my relationship with her was one of a kind, she's one of strongest pillars in the foundation of my life, all fortified by the values she's instilled within me since childhood to which I still cherish to this very day.

she took a LOT of secrets with her to the grave, & a lot of them had to do with the family drama she had to endure through with her generation in my family's lineage. I pieced a lot of shit together & learned a lot of these secrets where they made me love her even more, especially for the love she & her husband (my favorite uncle) had for my mom & dad.

I know kinda vague, but the point of this is that I'm passing on her values to the next generation of youngsters in my family's lineage, & I'm blessed as all hell to have their love & respect. as my aunt was the favorite to everyone in my generation, I'm the favorite to the all youngsters in the generation after.

without family, there's nothing.
I could've wrote this almost verbatim.
Except it wasn't my great aunt that
passed this year, it was my grandmother.

Thanks for sharing.
Have a blessed 2017 doggy

I could've wrote this almost verbatim.
Except it wasn't my great aunt that
passed this year, it was my grandmother.

Thanks for sharing.
Have a blessed 2017 doggy

hyup - to you & yours my nebro.

Back