2012 Training - Breakdown of Numbers

NateTx4112

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So at the end of 2011 I looked at some people who really logged their training and started to log my own mat times/hours etc. I'm not as detailed as I want to be yet but it does provide and insight for what I did accomplish and the mat time I did put in.

Trained a total of 236 (may be 237 if I go Saturday)times in 2012, for a total of 335 hours.
Breakdown by Month (Classes/Open Mats):
# of Classes
Jan 15
Feb 18
Mar 17
Apr 18
May 22
Jun 18
Jul 21
Aug 19
Sep 23
Oct 20
Nov 22
Dec 23
Total 236

Of that 236 breaks down like this:
47 Open Mats
8 Seminars
3 Privates
1 Competition
3 Training sessions for Nova Uniao Worlds Camp
174 Classes (43 No-Gi classes from this)

Was surprised to see that nearly 20% of my training is open mat, figured it was less then that.

Notes:
I attended 8 Seminars from some pretty great guys (Roger/Rener/Buchecha/Jacare/JT Torres/Cyborg)

I only competed once (Dallas Open - Gold medal Blue Belt Super Heavy)
**disappointed in this one as I need to compete more

Took 3 Privates lessons

Promoted to Purple belt in May

Random #'s/things I as a data analyst find interesting:
Most classes in a month: September - 23 times
Most hours in a month:May 35.3 hours
Most consecutive days training: 13
Biggest Gap: 6 days (Stomach flu)

I did see a direct correlation with # of times I trained in a month to how I felt sparring with others of even levels. The more I trained, the better I felt I did (funny how that works).

Just a random/pointless view into my 2012 year. If anyone has any random questions or thoughts feel free to ask.

You have some sort of data base that you use for this?

What do you do with the information? Does it alter your behavior in any way? Legit questions here too...not trying to be a dick or anything.

13 days in a row is no joke. I almost always end up getting hurt in some way (usually my chancy lower back discs) or my fingers get too busted up. I do find that if I train ~5+ days a week for a while my overall level does seem to rise until I go back to a more normal 3-4 day rate, but it's hard to sustain that level with job and family.

You have some sort of data base that you use for this?

What do you do with the information? Does it alter your behavior in any way? Legit questions here too...not trying to be a dick or anything.

Simple excel file with formula's. I'm a data analyst so it's pretty straight forward/very simple stuff. I could build one for you if you were that interested.

Honestly I didn't have a plan for this at the beginning more just a tracking. I had 3 BJJ goals for the year and achieved 2 of the 3 and this was to help me track.
1) Train 15 times minimum a month
2) Take 3 private lessons
3) Compete 3 times (missed this)

Just once a week or so I would fill in a line of Date, Type of training (open mat/gi class/no gi/etc, length of training. End of a month sum it all up to see how I did towards my goal of that month.

Now the plan for 2013 is to go into more detail to break down the sparring time/drilling time and detailed moves covered to build a "database". I want to see how much I am drilling vs. rolling as well as start to catalog all the "moves" I learn as I begin to teach classes more. I sometimes draw a blank as to what to teach and would like to remember certain details as I don't keep notes in class.

I'm sure, if you posted a generic excel file, I'd use it.

That's how I lost all my weight, using a random online excel file that made me keep track of my caloric intake each day.

13 days in a row is no joke. I almost always end up getting hurt in some way (usually my chancy lower back discs) or my fingers get too busted up. I do find that if I train ~5+ days a week for a while my overall level does seem to rise until I go back to a more normal 3-4 day rate, but it's hard to sustain that level with job and family.

In order to hit that I had to hit some 6 AM classes and after about day 6 I did have to dial down my intensity a bit in sparring as I was just flat out "tired".

I did a run of 10 days with a 2 day break just prior to that 13 days and during the 10 day I did 11 classes. When I finally took a few days off and came back I really tore thru a couple guys as I felt "fresh". It was interesting to see how much the rest helps as I usually train Saturday thru Tuesday and my first rest day is Wednesday, and then again Friday. So skipping the Wednesday rest day and going to No-gi on Thursday was ROUGH on me (and a bit on the marriage haha).

I am dialing it back down for January some as I add some more conditioning outside of BJJ and will ramp up for a Pan Ams run in March.

I'm sure, if you posted a generic excel file, I'd use it.

That's how I lost all my weight, using a random online excel file that made me keep track of my caloric intake each day.

Let me play with the 2013 format I want to use and see if I like it. The 2012 File is pretty bare bones and not that interesting.

Going to end the year with 237 after all.

slow day at work so creating the 2013 file if anyone cares later.

Random #'s/things I as a data analyst find interesting:
Most classes in a month: September - 23 times

Tie with December, actually.

Thanks for posting the data, and cograts/props on the hard work.

Post up an email if you want it. I've got a rough draft that doesn't have all the formula's auto calculating yet, but it's pretty simple stuff.

Back