1st place at Saulo Ribeiro's Tourney

Wolverine

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
What up Guys!

I won my first tourney at Saulo Ribeiro's Tourney yesterday!

I fought in the white belt 190 - 210 division and I had to share it with my Sherdogers!

Wolverine
///

Thanks bro!

It has been at least 7 months but I have been on and off. Actually I did not get to train a week and a half prior to this tourney. I actually was not going to go but my friend talked me into it so I went, and thank God I did.

This is my second tourney ever. The first one I entered was at the Arnold Classic last March. Won my first match at that one and then lost my second match to the guy that won the whole division. I had only been newly training, but I did learned alot from that loss.

Wolverine
///

congrats bro, i got a tourney this coming sunday. i hope i win also.

congrats again!

Congrats! How it went? Some crazy gogoplatas, twisters etc.? :)

Very nice. Sounds like you should have a promotion ahead of you soon.

Congratulation man! Should be a nice feeling!!!!!

Did you see Saulo? Did you send him my greatings?

Thanks guys!

After the tourney I was like "wow I have no bumps or scratches". I wake up this morning and all of the sudden I have a little crank in my neck and a bruise righ knee. LOL!

Nah... no promotions. I'm not that good. I might have won this time but because of a wife, three young kids, work and studying for certifications, I am only limited to training once or twice a week. Those guys will be training more and the next time I may not be so lucky.

I think what helped me is that I really don't get that much nervous about the tourney. I did not expect much so I went in there with a mind set of "I don't care if I win or loose". So I really was not that nervous... but just a little bit.

And yes Saulo was there. I always see Saulo... he comes to Detroit to train us (and his brother Xande).

Yes winning the tourney was a greate feeling!

Thanks again guys! I hope you all do great at all of your tourneys.

Wolverine
///

Hey congrats. How did the rest of the guys from melvindale do ?

congrats! i would imagine that's a pretty popular division you were in. how old r u? give some us fellow older working dads more inspiration!!! do you have other wrestling/judo/ma experience, or is it just the 7 months of bjj, 1-2x a week?
either way, that's great to win only your SECOND tournament ever!

Yeah, defintely an inspiration to us other "married with children", working full time and going to school weekend warrior dads. Good job.

But dude, c'mon. We need details.

jim.s said:
Hey congrats. How did the rest of the guys from melvindale do ?

Well Danny won his Blue belt division and in front of everyone Saulo gave him his purple belt. He was very happy! The rest of the guys got either silver or bronze.

Last guy I fought we were standing for at least 2 1/2 minutes. He would try to trip me and I would try to trip him. We could not take each other down. Then I shot in and took him out of the mat. So they started us in the middle again. I acted like I was going to grab him them shot in again and took him down. He got half guard on me then pulled a greemah and was able to pull me leg out of his half guard and mounted him.

There was about 30 seconds left and I was up 6 - 0 so I tried to get him to his side so that I can arm bar him but I ran out of time. Actually I did not know that was the last match. I did not hear them announce that this was the last match so I thought I had another match coming up. Then I found out later that it was the final match. I could not beleive that I won.

It is funny because I really never won a troufey or a medal before. I played basketball, football and even baseball I was always on a team that never won the whole thing. I was telling one of my friends (who has a troufey in basketball) that I got to get one some day. Mind you this was before joinning BJJ. I actually called him up today and reminded him of what we talked about and he instantly knew that I won.

I am currently 29 years old (you guys are thinking "29 and he has a wife with three kids!"(all girls)). Got married young, but because I thought I was ready not because of mistakes. I never did MMA, wrestling or anything. I did always wrestler around with my friends who some where wrestlers but I don't really have any solid back ground. I am fairly strong which helps my BJJ... for now at least (higher belts can neturalize your strength if you do not have the technique to back it up).

When I first started BJJ I was going about 3 days a week but that changed after 2 months. I had to cut down to one or two days a week. You will still get better, just not as fast as some going 3 - 5 days a week. Hey it is better then nothing.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Wolverine
///

Congrats man- are you from Saulo/Xandre's association or Chitwood's. Would've been nice if you said something before- I fought in the purple belt division and I often avoid watching any matches before I fight so I dont think I got to see your matches.

Hey VD,

I am actually from Saulo/Xande's association. Not sure what Chitwood is?

It would have been cool to meet you there. I guess maybe next time.

BTW, did you see the fight where that one purple belt guy popped his knee? Please, don't tell me that was you.

Thanks!

Wolverine
///

Wolverine said:
Hey VD,

I am actually from Saulo/Xande's association. Not sure what Chitwood is?

It would have been cool to meet you there. I guess maybe next time.

BTW, did you see the fight where that one purple belt guy popped his knee? Please, don't tell me that was you.

Thanks!

Wolverine
///

I had heard about someone popping their knee, but I dont think its was too serious. I fought in the lightweight division- some guy named "Shrek" the first match who wore a red gi, the second match against someone who's name I forget, but was a short fireball/bull kinda player, and then the finals against Mica (sp?).

Shit, so it was you that took out Shrek. I saw the match but I don't remember the face... sorry. Yeah, Shrek had a red Gi (Koral I think).

Did you do no-gi. I left as soon as they gave out the medals. So I did not see the no-gi.

If you were there when they were giving out the medals, I was the guy who tried to take a picture of the guy the just got his purple belt. My digital camera took forever to reset. Saulo and Danny were waiting forever to take a picture because my camera had to reset.

Wolverine
///

Wolverine said:
Nah... no promotions. I'm not that good. I might have won this time but because of a wife, three young kids, work and studying for certifications, I am only limited to training once or twice a week. Those guys will be training more and the next time I may not be so lucky.

///

i hear ya, i am in the same boat, wife and one kid, a new one on the way in feb. (a future bjj champ in the making)
congrats on the wins and medal

guardpasser said:
i hear ya, i am in the same boat, wife and one kid, a new one on the way in feb. (a future bjj champ in the making)
congrats on the wins and medal

Just don't give up. It is better then nothing. Yeah, I guess if we can't become the BJJ experts we want to be then hopefully our kids will be. Live our dreams through them. LOL!

Thanks bro!

Wolverine
///

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back