1980s vs. 1990s - Which decade had the better music?

Which decade had the better music?

• Total voters
If you compare top charting hits like in these YouTube compilation videos, the 80's is gonna wipe the floor with the 90's.

If you look at albums, and the broader work of the most acclaimed artists, not necessarily the top charting singles, the 90's trounces the 80's.

If you compare top charting hits like in these YouTube compilation videos, the 80's is gonna wipe the floor with the 90's.

If you look at albums, and the broader work of the most acclaimed artists, not necessarily the top charting singles, the 90's trounces the 80's.

Yeah that's true, you got a good point.

I like both decades but would lean towards 90's because of metal and hip hop (Although 80's had great stuff from both genres too it went up a level in the 90's)

I enjoy a melange of both decades, 80's had a great run of of bubblegum pop, the rise of hip hop and some solid RnB offerings plus Michael Jackson and Prince
90's had the emergence of West Coast gangsta rap and Bay Area Mobb Music, an amazing run of RnB acts and a nice selection of radio hip hop hits plus Prince

The 80's hands down. Was just the golden age for metal.

This.

Prime Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Motley Crue, AC/DC... FFS this goes to the 80's on metal alone. And that's without even considering prime Michael Jackson, Madonna, Oingo Boingo, Tears for Fears, Van Halen...

I enjoy a melange of both decades, 80's had a great run of of bubblegum pop, the rise of hip hop and some solid RnB offerings plus Michael Jackson and Prince
90's had the emergence of West Coast gangsta rap and Bay Area Mobb Music, an amazing run of RnB acts and a nice selection of radio hip hop hits plus Prince

Yeah, the answer depends on what genre of music we are talking about. I love 80's pop and 80's hip hop but love the 90's rock era. I'm actually interested in some people's favorite albums/songs of both eras so I can hear music I forgot about.

The one thing the 90's got wrong looking back at it was the Spanish Pop introduction such as Ricky Martin and Jennifer Lopez.

This.

Prime Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Motley Crue, AC/DC... FFS this goes to the 80's on metal alone. And that's without even considering prime Michael Jackson, Madonna, Oingo Boingo, Tears for Fears, Van Halen...

I've told numerous friends of mine that even in the era of Tik Tok and YouTube no one (and I stand by this) will ever be as famous as Michael Jackson. Before internet there were people in the smallest villages around the world who knew who Michael Jackson was.

The 80s though the 90s had better rap.

But that being said the music of the 60s and 70s was the best era for music

I've told numerous friends of mine that even in the era of Tik Tok and YouTube no one (and I stand by this) will ever be as famous as Michael Jackson. Before internet there were people in the smallest villages around the world who knew who Michael Jackson was.

Agreed and it's hard to explain that to someone who didn't live through the 80's. Thriller single-handedly kicked off big budget music videos as a thing. And this was in the 80's when there was no internet and fuck all to do other than listen to music, ride your bike around, watch re-runs on TV or play Atari 2600 or NES if you had one. Amazing how much exposure and star power he had, and I haven't seen anyone else that comes close.

Last edited:
I voted 80s.

Both decades produced amazing rock and metal, but the 90s was a real low point for decent pop music. The dominance of manufactured boybands like Take That, Boyzone and Westlife really damaged the creativity of the genre, when image became more important than talent, and grass-roots acts had to compete with plastic bands already starting with the backing of wealthy record labels.

Back