1917 vs. Saving Private Ryan

Ezekiel 25:17

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
WW1 vs WW2.

Mendes vs Spielberg

Thomas Newman vs. John Williams

I enjoyed both almost equally in all aspects. I might give the edge to SPR just for that first 20 minutes or so. That was a masterpiece Imo.

Which of the two do you prefer. Just these two btw, no need to bring other war films into this.

How much action / war scenes?

Compared to saving private Ryan

they are not even in the same ballpark, 1917 was alright and had wonderful imagery....but SPR is a better movie in every aspect

1917 is a great film but there is nothing in that movie that can compare to the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan
I still remember people walking out of the theater in stunned silence from that scene

The airplane crash scene in 1917 was really horrible though and did a great job of making you angry while showing you the brutality of the situation they were in

As the others have said already, and I agree, 1917 is amazing and extremely enjoyable. But SPR absolutely shits on it in every conceivable way.

1917 is a great movie that never really warrants a rewatch. SPR is a movie I rewatch every single year since it came out

Saving Private Ryan is the creme de la creme of war movies. It has it all. 1917 was a good movie no doubt but it is not taking the throne. I dont think it was gritty enough really to truly represent WW1 to its fullest. Really I thought the movie should have been longer so they could fit more in

1917 is a great movie in terms of cinematography, the meticulous planning requires to make the movie look like 1 shot is an amazing feat but SPR is a much more complete film. For one thing, it has great characters which 1917 really lacked (we don't really learn much about the protagonists)

Back