180% Career Change at your thirties

I make good money at my current job but it's just a job. And I hate working with public. In school to finish my CompSci degree, although I'm not passionate about that or much else so it's whatever at this point.

I finished up my teaching degree. around my early thirties. Had various jobs and then taught myself design and code.

That's what I do now and I am so glad I got out of teaching.

Its possible, I have had friends do it. Techincally I have done it. With the way the economies around the world are now, there are shit tons of people much older than in their 30's that have been forced into it. To be in the market right now, people need to be diverse -and I am thinking its going to be this way for a while with technlogical changes in jobs and so on. Going to be hard to pick 1 career to camp out in for 30 years or more and reach retirement in that same field.

if you wanna type degres, hold down alt and press numpad numbers 0176.

I just met a doctor today who was an IT guy for 20 years and got sick of the way doctors offices worked and such and went to med school and now has a private practice for the last 8 years

I don't get it. Are you trying to make 180% of your current salary? 180% less? Did you mean 180 degree career change?

I would gladly change careers, but it's just hard to find any opportunities.

I have wanted to switch from social work to fire fighting. Seems out of reach for me at this point

That depends. Are you older than 35? I see a lot of Dept.'s are starting to use that as their cut off age for applicants. Which I think is bullshit by the way. My dept. has two guys who came over as retirees from other FDs. They maxed out at their old spots because they started so young. But weren't so old they could no longer do the job.

Depending on your situation and finances. There are ways to make yourself a more desirable applicant to FDs. The trend right now is with increased medical responses being handled by FDs. People who are Paramedics are getting the lions share of FD jobs. Then taking it a step further. People are also putting themselves through recruit training schools to get certified as F1 and F2s thus saving the hiring agencies the cost of training. So there are definitely ways to make FDs look your way for hiring.

My father entered medical school at age 38 to become a physician, he always says it's the best decision he ever made.

I changed careers at age 28 because of long term health concerns.

Drugs and staying up all night is not a sustainable lifestyle

I changed careers at age 28 because of long term health concerns.

Drugs and staying up all night is not a sustainable lifestyle

styler.jpg

I was a body piercer for seventeen years, then about a year ago started writing books full time. Best decision I've ever made.

I was working crap jobs until i hit 30, decided to make a change, took some silly computer programming certificate course, and essentially switched to a better career path due to it (didn't end up doing programming though).

Please don't come to work at my current company after you're done. It seems like most of the IT people here have only book knowledge, if that, but absolutely zero real world knowledge which just makes my job miserable. They are good at kissing ass, so make sure to take a course in that. The high level people I deal with are typically relieved to deal with someone like me who doesn't kiss their ass at any chance available, and will tell them the truth, not some bullshit sanitized version of the facts.

I started out as a DBA in private industry fresh out of college, did that for a year. Then I got a cherry state government gig as a computer analyst, the title is ambiguous but I'm essentially a Web services programmer.

Heh, tons of guys feel the same way in those positions. Computer Analyst, Systems Analyst, Applications Developer...all interchangeable titles depending on the company.

It's difficult to leave that career because you end up in comfort zone. Steady decent paycheck and benefits. Personally the most soul sucking aspects is just dealing with the corporate methodologies on development or even bullshit HR goal setting that they make you do depending on where you are at. Agile, scrums, sprints...they all suck out innovation in my opinion and are really ingrained in the culture of most older companies.

Back