18 Pounds in 6 Weeks - Can it be Done?

anaconda

Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
@Gold
Reaction score
Alright - 6', 239 lbs with the gi on.

I have to get down to 221 with the gi on by June 6 (mundials). I'm cutting out carbs except for veggies, and being a little more liberal with fats. Also eating plenty of protein.

I'm supplementing with GNC mega green vitamin, 10-15g fish oil/day, 10 g BCAA per day, and green tea extract. I can't really cut too much weight because you weigh in with the gi on right before your match.

Going to be training BJJ at least four times a week, usually 5 or 6, as well as running twice a week for about 3 miles.

This is sort of a log/advice thread. Anyone have any tips, similar experiences, advice, etc please let me know.

I wouldn't plan on being any stronger when you finally get there, but yeah, 3 pounds a week is totally doable.

you may get better results from more frequent running though, as a tool to keep your ****bolism up...
tabata intervals a couple times a week maybe?
sounds like you're doing the right thing diet wise, make sure to keep water intake high, it sucks in terms of not seeing the weight drop as drastically, but does wonders for how well you handle the weight loss, and fat burning.

2 to 1 says you've thought about buying a lighter Gi though
:)

I wouldn't plan on being any stronger when you finally get there, but yeah, 3 pounds a week is totally doable.

you may get better results from more frequent running though, as a tool to keep your ****bolism up...
tabata intervals a couple times a week maybe?
sounds like you're doing the right thing diet wise, make sure to keep water intake high, it sucks in terms of not seeing the weight drop as drastically, but does wonders for how well you handle the weight loss, and fat burning.

2 to 1 says you've thought about buying a lighter Gi though
:)

Thanks for the advice. Luckily, my game doesnt rely on much strength and even so, I'd still probably be one of the stronger guys in the division. I might try to do a quick run in the morning, but from past experience its not likely to happen :(

And about the lighter gi - you can be damn sure I'm thinking about it now! I could use another gi, so maybe one of those vulkan ultra lite? My Koral is about 5 lbs, those vulkans are supposed to be like 3 lbs. I'll have to look into it :)

You are more than likely aware of this, but I'll throw it out there anyway. Cutting out (or at least limiting) salt in your diet will help you retain much less water (since salt promotes water retention). Lowering your salt intake should help cut out at least a few of those 18 pounds.

Good luck!

EDIT: Oh! And another thing regarding water retention. If you drink MORE water, your body will retain less of it (because your body will come to realize it doesn't need to retain it in order to survive), further helping to cut the pounds. So keep that gallon jug by your side!

but he's weighing in right before competing so i think that having a salt or potassium imbalance would certainly hinder his performance.

as far as losing the weight, i'd suggest interval training (bike, row, sprint) as well as barbell complexes and other metcon / high intensity stuff.

note: i weighed in at 212 tonight and ill be wrestling at 190 at naga. then again, i get to weigh in the night before. but i still have about the same amount of weight to lose as you before weigh in.

as far as losing the weight, i'd suggest interval training (bike, row, sprint) as well as barbell complexes and other metcon / high intensity stuff.

note: i weighed in at 212 tonight and ill be wrestling at 190 at naga. then again, i get to weigh in the night before. but i still have about the same amount of weight to lose as you before weigh in.

Thanks for the advice. I can't touch weights unfortunately because as soon as I do, I gain at least 5 lbs within a week or so, and it takes a couple of weeks at least before my weight starts dropping. This even includes barbell complexes with light weight - I can't explain it, thats just how my body is.

I definitely have to do some sort of HIIT or tabata stuff, haven't quite decided what to do - probably sprints, maybe before an LSD session.

Good luck with your weight loss as well - whens the naga?

dry your gi off at all times, wear light shit underneath it,

cut a lot of salt
cut a lot of sugar

it will be easy

You should be able to do this with just a proper diet and ramping up your cardio and running.

Back