• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

17-year-old teenager fatally shot by East Pittsburgh police. UPDATES: OFFICER CHARGED WITH HOMICIDE

Exactly, The weapons were elsewhere.
It's not like they were at home. That car was involved in a car where they shot at someone, and that was known beforehand. At what point does it make sense to treat the suspect as though they are unarmed when that suspect gets out of the car and runs off? It's a super reasonable assumption that they are still armed, and now they are running into an environment where they could harm additional people in an attempt to escape. This has to be one of the least controversial shootings in that has made headlines in recent memory.

I don't follow, I'm not predicting anything, it's an objective fact that the decision not to shoot cannot directly hurt anyone. There could be some later harm caused to someone by this kid, but that's just speculation. By shooting him in the back like a coward, the cop guaranteed that an innocent person was hurt.
Innocent? Didn't he just do a drive by shooting that had victims?

Lmao

It's not like they were at home. That car was involved in a car where they shot at someone, and that was known beforehand. At what point does it make sense to treat the suspect as though they are unarmed when that suspect gets out of the car and runs off? It's a super reasonable assumption that they are still armed, and now they are running into an environment where they could harm additional people in an attempt to escape. This has to be one of the least controversial shootings in that has made headlines in recent memory.

I'm not saying it's controversial, just that it's cowardly. And you don't make assumptions about whether the guy is armed based upon a report of guns elsewhere. If he was able to hit a fatal shot with his pistol, he was close enough to tell if the kid was holding a gun or not.

Its good to see that Shaun "white bread" King is still out there asking the hard questions!

I'm not saying it's controversial, just that it's cowardly. And you don't make assumptions about whether the guy is armed based upon a report of guns elsewhere. If he was able to hit a fatal shot with his pistol, he was close enough to tell if the kid was holding a gun or not.
This is kind of an odd statement. What's cowardly about doing your job and protecting the community from a guy who has just committed a drive-by?

Not necessarily. Seeing his hands and wasitline is totally dependent upon the angle you're looking from, and you'll never have a full 360 of the guy. But you don't need 360 degrees to find a lethal shot on the body with any firearm.

Car full of people driving around shooting at people...

Drstranglov: surprised when two of the cars occupants get smoked.

LOL!

This is kind of an odd statement. What's cowardly about doing your job and protecting the community from a guy who has just committed a drive-by?

Not necessarily. Seeing his hands and wasitline is totally dependent upon the angle you're looking from, and you'll never have a full 360 of the guy. But you don't need 360 degrees to find a lethal shot on the body with any firearm.

He wasn't protecting anyone, he was killing an innocent person. We know, specifically, who this officer hurt, who specifically did he protect? There's no report of this kid threatening anyone, or even interacting with anyone between the traffic stop and his death. Certainly the officer himself wasn't concerned with his own safety, the kid's back was to him. Its cowardly to shoot a kid in the back who is running away.

Involved in drive by shooting.
Police chase.
Run from car.

You're telling me you want these people to get away into your community? Shooting them seems to be the only reasonable thing to do. I wouldn't want these fuckers around me or my kids.

If they were indeed a part of the earlier drive by shooting, or even if they are/were just thugs in general, I say good riddance. However, it is a small drop in the ocean, many more need to be taken out to get the streets clean.

There shouldn't be any 17 year olds driving around with pistols.

He wasn't protecting anyone, he was killing an innocent person. We know, specifically, who this officer hurt, who specifically did he protect? There's no report of this kid threatening anyone, or even interacting with anyone between the traffic stop and his death. Certainly the officer himself wasn't concerned with his own safety, the kid's back was to him. Its cowardly to shoot a kid in the back who is running away.
How do you know that there were no civilians in the area? It's in Pittsburgh, a major American city. You think no one else was around at all?

You mean he himself ensured he won’t be held accountable because he was stupid piece of shit

No, nothing he did guaranteed that he would be killed. Only the cops actions ensured he wouldn't be held accountable. If we start blaming people for every possible thing others do in response to their action, however cowardly and unreasonable, then you open the cops up to blame for lots of outrageous shit.

No, nothing he did guaranteed that he would be killed. Only the cops actions ensured he wouldn't be held accountable. If we start blaming people for every possible thing others do in response to their action, however cowardly and unreasonable, then you open the cops up to blame for lots of outrageous shit.
I think there’s a lot of people who truly believe the cops should have taken the risk & chased him before shooting him. Pass on shooting him & wait to see if he shoots back or puts a gun to a hostages head. Even though it was all but certain the suspect just shot someone & was most likely armed, he still deserved a chance to get arrested.

Cops owe it to criminals to risk their lives & the lives of others to spare the life of a criminal. That’s the logic of people like @the muntjac
I would explain it again, but I’ll just quote my post from earlier.

The kid was not occupying the car when he was killed.
Exactly, he WAS occupying a car involved in a shooting when he decided to jump out and make a run for it, instead of keeping his ass in his seat and complying with police instruction.

That was just one stupid and dangerous decision he made, in a long list of stupid and dangerous decisions that this individual made leading up to his death.

Do you really feel sorry for this clown? If you do, then I feel sorry for you.

How do you know that there were no civilians in the area? It's in Pittsburgh, a major American city. You think no one else was around at all?

I don't think that's the standard here, the presence of civilians doesn't mean a threat to civilians, there's no report of any interaction between the victim here and anyone at all besides the cop who killed him. If there's more information, I'm not stuck on my stance. That's why I asked who, specifically, he was threatening.

Exactly, he WAS occupying a car involved in a shooting when he decided to jump out and make a run for it, instead of keeping his ass in his seat and complying with police instruction.

That was just one stupid and dangerous decision he made, in a long list of stupid and dangerous decisions that this individual made leading up to his death.

Do you really feel sorry for this clown? If you do, then I feel sorry for you.

It was a stupid decision to shoot the kid, do we now hold the cop accountable for any protests, riots or retaliatory violence against police officers?

I don't think that's the standard here, the presence of civilians doesn't mean a threat to civilians, there's no report of any interaction between the victim here and anyone at all besides the cop who killed him. If there's more information, I'm not stuck on my stance. That's why I asked who, specifically, he was threatening.
From another exchange. Some of it doesn't apply to you, but you may find other parts helpful. From two guys with tactical experience and training.
The problem is that you don't know if he was quick to shoot or not. You're making an assumption based on the fact that he didn't catch him after chasing him down. None of us has facts on whether or not the officer attempted to chase the suspect down on foot first, details about where the suspect was headed (if headed towards a crowded area, area where detaining the suspect becomes impractical or unsafe, etc.). Shooting may have been the last resort, but you seem to be assuming that it wasn't.

Let me clarify what I mean by saying "detaining the suspect becomes impractical or unsafe" because I know how people are going to take that. If the suspect is in an area where there are lots of people, bedroom windows, or dangerous items (pretty much anything involving gasoline, chemicals, electricity, etc), then it becomes unsafe to discharge your firearm under any circumstances. A missed shot could lead to a dead civilian or multiple victims. You have to look at what's between you and your target, what's to the left and right of your target, and what's behind your target. If any of those are things that you can't shoot, then you shouldn't be discharging your firearm. If you can't shoot, but the perp will be in a place where he will be able to discharge his firearm at you or a civilian, then you need to stop him before he gets to that point. Since we've established that the suspect was believed to have been part of a driveby shooting incident earlier that same day, then it is reasonable to believe that the suspect is armed and dangerous, meeting the above qualifications as soon as he runs towards an area where lots of civilians are present.

You don't immediately chase when someone bails from a car. In this case they are already, per the article trying to detain the driver and 2 suspects are fleeing from a car with fucking bullet holes in it that just was involved in a gunfight with another gang member. You have no idea if that is all the suspects out of the car or if one is waiting inside armed.

We had an officer at my agency stop a car late night in an industrial area. Luckily he is a seasoned dude with time on and put it out and was letting others know the car was not yielding and instead pulling around a business, away from the street. He asked for additional units code 3 because he thought the driver was going to bail.

We all watched his dash cam after which showed this:
Car stops driver foot bails
Officer jumps out, yells police and takes off after him
Officer passes door of suspect car and 2nd occupant, who you could not see prior gets out
2nd occupant pulls hand gun from his waistband, steps around to try and get a clear shot at officer in foot pursuit
Can't get shot cause they were too far away and you can hear sirens of other approaching officers on the video
2nd occupant gets in driver seat of suspect car and drives away just prior to follow officer arrival

Now none of this shit was known until we watched his dash cam. Had he not been running so fast and had he not requested other units code 3, we would have had the passenger shoot him as he was chasing the first dude.

I also went to Ryan Bonamino's funeral. He got in a foot pursuit in the dark, of a stolen vehicle suspect. As he came around a corner, suspect ambushed him, bashed him in the face with a tire iron/tire checker bat, then picked up his gun while Ryan laid on the floor with his face bashed in and proceeded to execute him.

So all you armchair quarterbacks who have zero police training or military background need to realize how little you actually know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bakedboy
Back