16oz Training Glove - Hand Compartnent Too Small, Suggest Other Brands?

CHawkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is one of those times I wish there was a store that stocked all the pro gear so I could actually try gloves on before buying. The day someone starts a Fight-Mart chain of stores, they'll have a customer for life right here.

I just bought a new pair of 16oz Top Contender Training Gloves with the hook & loop closure. The hand compartment feels REALLY small, smaller than I remember my last pair of Top Contender or Ringside gloves being. Training gloves are supposed to fit snug, but my fingers start to go numb after a couple rounds. That's TOO snug. And I've experimented with my handwrapping, too - it's the gloves.

If I go to the 18oz glove, the hand compartment should be a little bigger, and might work. However, going to an 18oz (or larger!) glove seems goofy, as I'm not THAT heavy of a hitter.

But before I go to the trouble of shipping these back and waiting for a new pair to try, I want to ask you all:

a) Has anyone else had this issue with the Ringside or Top Contender 16oz glove?
b) How much larger can I expect the 18oz glove's hand compartment to be?
c) Is anyone aware of a brand of glove that is known for having a decent-sized hand compartment?

Note that I'm 5'11" and my open hand measures exactly 8.5" around at the knuckles. I'm not a particularly big guy.

Thoughts?

edit: spelling

One thing you may be able to do is stuff the glove full of crumpled up newspaper where it is tight and then let it sit for a couple of days. Sometimes this will work sometimes it will not. I have extremely large hands and have had the same exact problem.
Another thing i have done is crammed my hands wrapped very tightly into the glove and then wet it down with water and then hit a heavy bag like medium hard for a few minutes then I take the glove off and stuff it with newspaper.
I dont knoiw if you will be able to return the gloves if you do this though. A good glove that fits larger hands is the IMF and the pro-mex if you do return the gloves.

Yeah, I don't want to beat the shit out of the gloves only to have to return them anyway. :D

So if I go with the IMF gloves, should I get the 18oz for the larger hand compartment? Or is the 16oz IMF hand compartment already bigger than the 16oz Top Contender hand compartment?

OK, I just got off the phone with a guy from Ringside. He was nice enough to run out to their retail floor and stick a 16oz Top Contender on one hand and a 16oz IMF on the other! The IMF is definitely bigger, he says, but not as big as the XL Super Bag Glove (which is important beacuse my XL Super Bag Gloves are TOO big).

So, being in-between means that the IMF is probably the perfect size.

I'm going to swap them out and should have the IMF gloves in a few days.

Also, I want to take a minute to give huge props to the customer service crew at Ringside/Combat Sports International. I've spent more than $1,000 with these folks over the past few months and have always gotten top-notch help from them. THAT is how you run a company! :D

Yeah Ringside is good people. the Imf I salot bigger I could of told you that lol but I wasnt thinking. I think you will really like the IMF it is honestly the best training glove out there right now

Boomstick said:
Yeah Ringside is good people. the Imf I salot bigger I could of told you that lol but I wasnt thinking. I think you will really like the IMF it is honestly the best training glove out there right now
Do you think I should have stuck with the 16oz IMF then? Hopefully the 18oz won't be too big inside.

i bought some Twins off ebay and they have more than enough room in them. i wrap my hands and put them on and they feel great, keep an eye out for them and u can probably get them for like 50 bux

Back