125 and 145 will be the prominent women's divisions in the future

IAmTheGOAT

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And will make WMMA more interesting. There's already a batch of new WMMA talent at 125. Ariane Lipski, Antonina Shevchenko, etc. as well as new straw weight talent that will probably move up due to weight troubles such as Maycee Barber and Mackenzie Dern. Former champion Joanna is moving up, and Valentina is moving down. I think it's interesting because fighters from straweight who were too small and dehydrated didn't have knockout power get to move up (and potentially have that knockout power) ,and smaller Bantamweight fighters like Valentina can fight at their natural weight class.

Ariane_Lipski.png

17015938_1350601081665629_3196759229728543832_o.jpg

145 is interesting because the cut to 135 extremely affected Cris Cyborg when she fought there, and even when Holly moved up she became twice the fighter. Holly looked extremely better against Cyborg and Anderson then she did at 135. It'll be interesting to see how Cat does against the Anderson the australlian chick at 232.
DfTRkSsVAAADLMk.1528602677.jpg

All in all, I think a lot of the talent in the future will sway at the 125 and 145 divisions and we'll finally get to see women's MMA fighters fight at their full potential. I think the 135 and 115 divisions were flawed and that 125 and 145 will become sweet spots and finally make WMMA as entertaining as MMA due to being better suited for women's builds and allowing them to have good power, speed, and stamina.

People have literally been saying that 145 is THE division for women for over a decade now and it has never been true. No women are flocking to 145 and Cyborg isnt the reason they are staying away.

People have literally been saying that 145 is THE division for women for over a decade now and it has never been true. No women are flocking to 145 and Cyborg isnt the reason they are staying away.
Nunes will bring balance to the force.

145 is interesting because the cut to 135 extremely affected Cris Cyborg when she fought there, and even when Holly moved up she became twice the fighter. Holly looked extremely better against Cyborg and Anderson then she did at 135. It'll be interesting to see how Cat does against the Anderson the australlian chick at 232.

All in all, I think a lot of the talent in the future will sway at the 125 and 145 divisions and we'll finally get to see women's MMA fighters fight at their full potential. I think the 135 and 115 divisions were flawed and that 125 and 145 will become sweet spots and finally make WMMA as entertaining as MMA due to being better suited for women's builds and allowing them to have good power, speed, and stamina.

Cyborg only supposedly cut to 135 twice, and missed weight both times. Including her first fight against Erica Paes:

145 has nobody. Even the ones fighting in Bellator have crap records, and it has been the post-apocalyptic wasteland of talent in all of MMA. 135lbs. women do better when moving up to take a fight at 145 than the women at 145 do fighting 135 lbs. women, it is that bad.

And there have been serious attempts to build the division since EliteXC.

145 is a bad division for women. The 135 division has become stagnant recently. 125 has been off to a rocky start. I think UFC should have allowed 105 in the beginning. They have a lot of ladies there and for some strange reason there are knockouts in that division

I agree with 125 but I'm not sure where you are getting at with 145. Holly and Cat are true 135ers and both are getting old anyways; W145 is still easily the worst division in the UFC and it isn't like W135 is exactly killing it right now either.

W125 is looking really bright right now; obviously the UFC recently signed Lipski but there's also Sabina Mazo at LFA and my homegirl Aga Niedzwiedz in Ivicta with all of them under 25. W115 is still the premiere WMMA division right now but I can see it eventually shifting over

Who are these people? for years there was basically an argreement women would aim for 135lbs and 115lbs to make those divisions as strong as possible, it was only Gina being pushed that led to 145lbs getting much exposure and now Cyborg, besides them the division is incredibly weak depending on girls who can easily make 135lbs moving up.

Last edited:
Who are these people? for years there was basically an argument women would aim for 135lbs and 115lbs to make those divisions as strong as possible, it was only Gina being pushed that led to 145lbs getting much exposure and now Cyborg, besides them the division is incredibly weak depending on girls who can easily make 135lbs moving up.

There have been the "if you build it they will come" clowns, but they are predominantly Cyborg fans/apologists.

How many women do you think weigh 160+ while being in great shape? 145 will never be a deep WMMA division because most women are not that big, especially women who are in great shape.

If they banned weight cutting most 115's would be 125 and most 135 would be around 145.

I kinda think the women's divisions should be re-organized to 115, 130, 145 now. There just isn't enough talent to support 4 divisions.

Nah. Aside from maybe M135, W145 is the next one UFC gets rid of.

Back