• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

12 Charged in $20 Million Food Stamp Fraud, Largest Food Stamp Takedown Ever

waiguoren

Double Yellow Card
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
The fraud happened like this, according to authorities: A store clerk swipes a person’s electronic benefits card at a point-of-sale terminal for a large amount. The person with the card is paid a lesser amount in cash. The remainder is ill-gotten profit for the store owner.

Some of the defendants owned, worked at or operated stores authorized to accept Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program payments, known as SNAP. Others worked at stores not authorized, but allegedly used the point-of-sale terminals for stores that were authorized.

The 12 charged over four cases are Hasan Saleh, 59, Mohammed Alobaisi, 37, Reynold Francois, 38, Ihab Hassouna, 44, Mohammad Alteen, 33, Maria Jerdana, 36, Joe Ann Baker, 56, Yousef “Joe” Homedan Zahran, 60, Omar Hajje, 43, Jalal Hajyousef, 42, Andy Javier Herrera, 24, and father Javier Herrera, 49.

The bust from Operation Stampede/Cash Hungry in Florida involved more than $13 million in fraudulent food-stamp transactions and could be the largest food stamp bust in the nation's history. The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office, state and federal law enforcement conducted a joint identity theft investigation involving obtaining SNAP EBT cards with the stolen identities. According to the sheriff's office, the fraudulently obtained EBT cards were taken to the Opa Locka Flea Market where the SNAP(food stamp or EBT) benefits allocated to them were exchanged for cash. Twenty two people have been charged with crimes.

Federal prosecutors give the money title, $10 million, to the Herreras, who also allegedly ran their game longer than everyone else — April 2012 through last month. Javier has convictions for third-degree grand theft and lottery violations on his rap sheet.

9751100172%20(1)

Source

Last edited:
In America if you chose the working class path, you fridge is mostly empty.

People who choose the food stamp program are over fed

Lol, my fridge is pretty stocked. Maybe you should cut back on the iphones.

"The 12 charged over four cases are Hasan Saleh, 59, Mohammed Alobaisi, 37, Reynold Francois, 38, Ihab Hassouna, 44, Mohammad Alteen, 33, Maria Jerdana, 36, Joe Ann Baker, 56, Yousef “Joe” Homedan Zahran, 60, Omar Hajje, 43, Jalal Hajyousef, 42, Andy Javier Herrera, 24, and father Javier Herrera, 49."

Such respect for America.

It's bad enough to skim and commit fraud against the SNAP program. Add the Identity theft on top to get even more out of it and you are really a huge scum bag.

Screw the people who aid them by changing out there food stamps for money too. Especially if they have kids.

Reminds me of "My EBT" song. (Eat Better Today) LOL

This happens in every inner city I've been to. It's rampant.

Good they were caught. Should be more investigations like this. Same with doctor billing as well. Didn't the current Governor of Florida rip off the federal government for billions with some medicaid billing scam? Also MIC contracts.

Really this is little difference than paying "under the table" for a service to avoid paying taxes. Everybody has their own scam/hustle. I almost feel like you're the sucker if you're not trying to beat the system.

But how do you know stores are skimming?

I’m genuinely curious.

Because everyone in the hoods knows. Just like I know where to get the best fake IDs, birth certificates and SSN cards.

Just like I know who is really supplying these "legal" marijuana dispensaries in socal.

Because everyone in the hoods knows. Just like I know where to get the best fake IDs, birth certificates and SSN cards.

Just like I know who is really supplying these "legal" marijuana dispensaries in socal.
Ok man you don’t have to share.

I wouldn’t call the town I grew up the hood but it was shitty and I could get anything in about 10 minutes. But I don’t remember hearing about stores that were skimming. Drugs? Check. Gambling? Check. Not that I’m surprised just wondering how they did it.

I have a professional curiosity but it looks like you’re not open to sharing details, which is fine.

Lol, my fridge is pretty stocked. Maybe you should cut back on the iphones.

You know, people joke about this ever since that stupid comment, but for a lot of people it is damned good advice. The number of people I know who constantly bitch about not being able to afford this or that but get a new damned iPhone/Galaxy whatever every year is nuts. It's like as soon as they get you on a jacked phone and say "Well, the phone is only $200..." and don't mention how much less you could be paying for your plan, people suddenly don't count that as money they are losing.

Anyway, not weighing in on the larger debate. Skipping an iPhone won't pay for your health insurance, but it's still a huge mistake people are making when it comes to their spending.

I have been on foodstamps before, but i actually used it for you know......food. Infact where i am you can't use EBT for cigs, alcohol, fast food or any basically pre-cooked food, etc. I used to go to the foodbanks as well. It's funny, the foodbanks that i went to would often have good meats and even organic fruits and veggies, pasta, rice, etc. which i loved but i would see people go in there and bitch because they apparently would rather have sweets and junk food than real food. It's ridiculous.

I wouldn't say i was overfed at all on foodstamps, especially with the prices at most supermarkets which is why i would travel 35-40 miles to go to places like Price Rite where foodstamps go a lot further. Fuck people that sell their foodstamps/EBT/whatever though. IMO if you're not using it for food, fuck off.

I have been on foodstamps before, but i actually used it for you know......food. Infact where i am you can't use EBT for cigs, alcohol, fast food or any basically pre-cooked food, etc. I used to go to the foodbanks as well. It's funny, the foodbanks that i went to would often have good meats and even organic fruits and veggies, pasta, rice, etc. which i loved but i would see people go in there and bitch because they apparently would rather have sweets and junk food than real food. It's ridiculous.

I wouldn't say i was overfed at all on foodstamps, especially with the prices at most supermarkets which is why i would travel 35-40 miles to go to places like Price Rite where foodstamps go a lot further. Fuck people that sell their foodstamps/EBT/whatever though. IMO if you're not using it for food, fuck off.
No place can you buy cigarettes or alcohol or non-food items or fast food/pre-cooked food with EBT. They can buy junk food but that's it.

If people have ever done that, it is at a place doing something illegal which is where the real outrage needs to be at.

Guy i know gets maybe 175 twice or once a month.
Sells it for 75 or 100 and i stock up st bjs pretty good for 175

Guy i know gets maybe 175 twice or once a month.
Sells it for 75 or 100 and i stock up st bjs pretty good for 175

No place can you buy cigarettes or alcohol or non-food items or fast food/pre-cooked food with EBT. They can buy junk food but that's it.

If people have ever done that, it is at a place doing something illegal which is where the real outrage needs to be at.

Yeah, I have seen some shady bodega's in certain cities (usually the bad ones) that give money for EBT somehow which is obviously illegal and they only give you i think 50% of the EBT value in cash. Fuck those places and fuck the people that do it. I'm fine with welfare, food stamps, etc. if you actually use it for what it's supposed to be used for and you try and you actually try and improve your situation but i can't stand people/places that abuse the system. They are just screwing the people over that actually need it and making other recipients look bad.

They need to vet these people and look into what they are actually using it for and that they are trying to improve their situation, but unfortunately they give it out to SO many people that it would be impossible to do that for every person.

And yeah, places like BJ's, Walmart, etc. can also have some pretty good prices on food. Price Rite has the best prices i have ever seen where i live. Most items are atleast 50% off compared to your average supermarket and surprisingly they not only carry most brand name items but their store brand stuff is incredible and high quality. For example they have amazing breads that are like $1.79 per loaf and they are made by the same company that makes ultimate grains or one of those expensive breads that are almost $5 in your average supermarket. It's 35-40 miles away but it's definitely worth it if you do a big order every 3-4 weeks.

People just have to be smart with their money/EBT and look around for good deals.

Last edited:
Back