10 best BJJ artists in the world today

I'd have Rafa over Marcelo basing on recent achievements. In the past year he's won the ADCC, Euros, Brasileiros, Abu Dhabi trials & pro 2x as well as the Worlds, basically dominating everyone not named Cobrinha.

But no way Calasans is over Langhi, dude hasn't lost in like 3 years!

calasans is such a fuggin beast though has he lost to anyone except marcelo in the last couple of years?... its actually so hard to separate some of these guys or even to compare their achievements, only one who everyone seems to reach consensus on is roger... that says a lot

I'd have Rafa over Marcelo basing on recent achievements. In the past year he's won the ADCC, Euros, Brasileiros, Abu Dhabi trials & pro 2x as well as the Worlds, basically dominating everyone not named Cobrinha.

I suppose everyone can use their own rubric for this... but I think Rafa would struggle against Marcelo (size aside).

I am blessed to have rolled with Michael Langhi who has now been on everybodys top 10 list.

Maia beat jacare
wheres saulo
maura?
get bj off that list

calasans is such a fuggin beast though has he lost to anyone except marcelo in the last couple of years?... its actually so hard to separate some of these guys or even to compare their achievements, only one who everyone seems to reach consensus on is roger... that says a lot

In 09, Calasans lost to Roger in the absolute semifinal. He was the closest to having Roger in trouble, I guess (he scored a takedown).

Malfacine should be in that list too. If I'm not wrong he's the most dominant competitor in his weight class of at least the last two years.

Malfacine should be in that list too. If I'm not wrong he's the most dominant competitor in his weight class of at least the last two years.

His win vs Caio in 2010 at Mundials was quite bullshit and the year before he was saved by the bell.

Why no love for Leo Liete? Dudes a monster in the gi.

Top 10 BJJ Fighters Right Now - BJJ Heroes
That is a pretty good list:

1. Roger
2. Rafa Mendes
3. Marcelo Garcia
4. Michael Langhi
5. Claudio Calasans
6. Romulo
7. Braulio
8. Cobrinha
9. Ricardo Demente
10. Bruno Malfacine

I don't know about Bruno Malfacine, and I think Demente needs another solid year to put him on that list. There are solid arguments to putting guys like Xande, Cavaca and Tarsis on the list.

The problem with Xande is that he didn't get gold this year (lol how terrible!) But relative to how good he is it seems like he fell short. Hell, Bernardo Faria could be put on this list. Its hard to judge.

I do think that list above does a pretty good job though.
I like a majority of this list. Nice to see Calasans getting some press! But I STILL have to put Rominho at #2 as I think he beats everyone on that list except Roger. I just don't see how Romulo isn't #2 on EVERY list? Freak knee injury at the Mundials? If that doesn't happen he might have taken gold at his weight AND given Roger his toughest match of the day.

His win vs Caio in 2010 at Mundials was quite bullshit and the year before he was saved by the bell.
Concur.

Winning a lot in the last 2 years? Yes.
Dominant? No. He's eked out some rather ridiculous decisions in my opinion. Yeah, he's got the gold medals around his neck. But I would expect smart money to be on Caio if they meet again.

I think Xande's been recovering from a pretty bad knee injury in the past year or so, hasn't he? At least that was given as the reason he couldn't compete in 2009 Mundials.

Maybe that's not a good enough excuse, but I still think Xande is solid top 10. It would have to take another year or two of him not winning his division for him to get bumped, considering he's the last guy to beat Roger, who is #1

Just got married and had a baby too in the last year and a half so it's been pretty hectic for him. Not really an excuse but I can attest to how a new born can at least throw off your sleeping schedule! LOL

just thought to mention, Moura has defeated Sameul Braga at the 07 finals in a convincing manner.

As for Malfacine, he is good but I don't agree with him on the list. First off, he is much bigger than almost anyone in the galo division. Not to mention this year, he had quite an unfair weight advantage over the others in the division. Black belt matches go for 2 days at the Mundials. THe first day, he had a bye and advanced without having to compete against anybody. So, he weighs in for his "bye" and his weight is marked and that's good. He can start to eat and regain all his weight back while the others in his division battle it out. He shows up the next day for his first match and doesn't need to be weighed in. Yet, he steps on the scale the day he competes at 143 lbs. The other guys who show up that day for their second day of competition still have to weigh in before their matches.

Hmmmm... it's hard to say whether one should focus on recent accomplishments (like Braulio) or being in the world elite for ages but not really doing much anymore (like Jacar

just thought to mention, Moura has defeated Sameul Braga at the 07 finals in a convincing manner.

As for Malfacine, he is good but I don't agree with him on the list. First off, he is much bigger than almost anyone in the galo division. Not to mention this year, he had quite an unfair weight advantage over the others in the division. Black belt matches go for 2 days at the Mundials. THe first day, he had a bye and advanced without having to compete against anybody. So, he weighs in for his "bye" and his weight is marked and that's good. He can start to eat and regain all his weight back while the others in his division battle it out. He shows up the next day for his first match and doesn't need to be weighed in. Yet, he steps on the scale the day he competes at 143 lbs. The other guys who show up that day for their second day of competition still have to weigh in before their matches.

You have proof he seriously stepped on at 143? @_@

Back