1,467 messages

What a time to be alive

I for one am pleased to have you back. I lead group hug sessions when you left.
As+explained+through+south+park+gifs+reddit_f97ac3_5291908.gif

i dont know why i still cringe reading sherdog threads

i should be immune to this shit by now

if I don't immediately reply to a comment, is because I'm thinking about it

In popular accounts of the time dilation effect in Einstein's special relativity, one often encounters the statement that moving clocks run slow. For instance, in the acclaimed PBS program “NOVA,”1 Professor Brian Greene says, “f I walk toward that guy… he'll perceive my watch ticking slower.” Also in his earlier piece for The New York Times, he writes that “if from your perspective someone is moving, you will see time elapsing slower for him than it does for you. Everything he does … will appear in slow motion.” We need to be careful with this kind of description, because sometimes authors neglect to consider the finite time of signal exchange between the two individuals when they observe each other. This article points out that when two individuals approach each other, everything will actually appear in fast motion—a manifestation of the relativistic Doppler effect.

Numerous publications use thought experiments to demonstrate that it takes a longer time for a clock in motion to tick as compared with our own clock at rest (often using a clock consisting of two mirrors and a pulse of light bouncing between them). But a less emphasized fact is that we cannot see the moving clock instantaneously because of the finite speed of light. To understand how the ticking of the moving clock appears to an observer at rest, it might help with the analogy of the classical Doppler effect, which is due to the finite speed of sound. Most people have the experience of hearing the sudden drop in frequency of the siren of a passing ambulance. In relativity, the qualitative effect is the same for the pitch of a siren and the frequency of a spectral line, say, the cesium-133 atom, which is used to define the SI unit second. A person will thus appear in fast (slow) motion if he/she approaches (recedes from) the observer.

Back