“Wolf Tickets”

MR MIAGGI

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Is Nick Diaz credited with coining this phrase or is the origin from some rap song or something ?

The phrase "selling wolf tickets" has been around for a while but Bay Area (Vallejo CA) rap group, 'The Click' re-popularized it in the 90's.

Diaz is from Northern Cali so it makes sense that he used the phrase.

I heard it from Nick Diaz. Then all of a sudden I started hearing it everywhere. Like in movies and whatnot.

It's been around longer than when Diaz said it. I first heard it in a Gang Starr song a long time ago.

Is Nick Diaz credited with coining this phrase or is the origin from some rap song or something ?

It's "selling wolf tickets", not just "wolf tickets".
Wolf tickets means, for example, something completely different in Russian.

And no, this is quite an old slang phrase.

I just checked.. The line I remember from Gang Starr was from the song Gotta Get over on the Trespass soundtrack from 1992.

It's been around a long time, Nick Diaz introduced it to white mma fans not in the know.

It’s Bay Area slang. It’s kinda old school, I don’t think people really say it much anymore but it used to be a thing I guess. A lot of people say “woof tickets” or “woofin”. I was never really sure if it was woof or wolf.

I have always thought it was a spinoff of the story "The Boy Who Cried Wolf". He kept screaming that a wolf was coming and it wasn't - people stopped believing him. So crying wolf - asking for something you don't want - Wolf Tickets - being invited to the show of the beat down over the person that didn't want to be there in the first place.

Just my take though, idk!

It’s a phrase that’s been going around for a long time now, long before Nick made it famous around these boards. E-40, Spice-1 and even Tupac would use it when he rolled with his NorCal friends. People only think they hear it now because of Nick, wrong, it’s always been around, now you just are reminded of Nick because of the phrase.

Youngsters... take a seat.

It was coined by an American singer and songwriter named Tom Waits on his first live album. It was released
by Asylum records in 1975. The album is called Nighthawks at the Diner.

I have always thought it was a spinoff of the story "The Boy Who Cried Wolf". He kept screaming that a wolf was coming and it wasn't - people stopped believing him. So crying wolf - asking for something you don't want - Wolf Tickets - being invited to the show of the beat down over the person that didn't want to be there in the first place.

Just my take though, idk!

I feel like you misinterpreted the moral of that story though.

It’s a phrase that’s been going around for a long time now, long before Nick made it famous around these boards. E-40, Spice-1 and even Tupac would use it when he rolled with his NorCal friends. People only think they hear it now because of Nick, wrong, it’s always been around, now you just are reminded of Nick because of the phrase.

Youngsters... take a seat.
I think Miles used it around the time he split up with Coltrane already.

Lol, no one except mma fans even know who Nick bloody Diaz is yet he made something universally famous?
Come on guys...

The phrase was derived from the tale of the boy who cried wolf, it's been around long before Diaz or mma.

I feel like you misinterpreted the moral of that story though.
You are right - I think the overall interpretation of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" is don't lie or nobody trusts a liar. In my post I was moreso trying to explain "Wolf Tickets" and I took some shortcuts.
(If my post was longer than 5 sentences nobody would read it, lol).

Back