“The Telos Project”

First, let me say, I’m not trying to sell anything—to you guys...unless you’re interested, which is definitely not the point of this thread.

But I am looking to plumb the depraved sherdog hive-mind. As much as I hate you filthy bastards, deep down I know that I’m one of you...

I’ve been working on a project for the last 18 years or so and I’m about to start publicizing it. It’s not really “Life Coaching” (and I hate that term, so I won’t be using it), but I haven’t come up with a great designation of my role. I’m asking you idiots to help me with this, so do your worst.

A lot of what I’ll be doing is teaching a practical philosophical/spiritual theory which includes elements from stoicism, existentialism, virtue ethics, and a hodgepodge of insights from world religions (in a one on one, quasi-therapeutic setting) coupling that with a set of exercises and goal-seeking strategies, and probably an informal lecture series—maybe on YouTube—maybe in person, probably both.

So I think that I’ll call myself an ethical and spiritual advisor. Maybe I’ll put a “/life-coach” on the end if that seems easier to understand. What do you dickwads think?

I’m also brainstorming the name of the project as a whole. My original name for it was “The Telos Project,” but there’s a bunch of assholes who run a counseling group in Texas that already took it.

Then I was thinking of calling it “Natural Teleology” (Telos & teleology are about purposes and the study of purposes).

Not interested personally. That being said, if I were someone that was interested.. I’d want to know how well you’ve done in your own life before paying you to coach me on how to live mine. If you’re a complete failure and a dumbass whose life resembles that of a bath salt inhaling Floridian then.. nope.

As is, pitching this here on SD isn’t a good start or a good look.

Good luck tho, there’s a sucker born every day.

Not interested personally. That being said, if I were someone that was interested.. I’d want to know how well you’ve done in your own life before paying you to coach me on how to live mine. If you’re a complete failure and a dumbass whose life resembles that of a bath salt inhaling Floridian then.. nope.

As is, pitching this here on SD isn’t a good start or a good look.

Good luck tho, there’s a sucker born every day.

I’m not “Pitching” it here on sherdog. There just isn’t any place I frequent where people will so readily try to rip me a new one, I figured that it would be a decent trial by fire.

I’m handsome, fit, relatively well-off well educated, I have very diverse interests, and I have a positive self image. So I’m doing better than most bath-salt inhaling Floridians...

You might benefit from some sort of book or coursework concerning online marketing.

Other than that you are life coaching their are no two ways around it.

Just focus on creating quality content with a blog and through youtube and teach.

Thanks for dialoguing. Doing this is very helpful. I have my own concerns about the project and it’s viability and value, so it’s important for me to hear the criticisms, meet the challenges, and improve where I need to.

PhD is in philosophy.

No one would be supervising my work (but no one REALLY did when I was a professor, either.) My students won’t get any credentials.

The only people who can determine the value of my services are the people who either pay or don’t pay me. I’ll be fine financially either way, but if I could really make this work, it would be a dream come true, and my life would be a good bit more interesting.

So, you feel that going 'solo' is better than being a professor. Just curious, what did you teach? Was it Philosophy? You seem to be a nice enough guy. You did not 'blow up' or insult me, and others, after receiving negative comments. A sign of maturity. It also sounds to me like a mid-life crisis. The kind where you get tired of your life and career and want to do something new and exciting. Sounds like you enjoy working with people and helping them improve their lives.

I was a Psychology major, but most of my life lessons came from 20 years in the U.S. military. You learn a lot about yourself and others. You learn about limitations, failures, and success. Like the old saying in Ranger school: "Fair is for the weak, learn to control your inner bitch."

Admiral William H. McRaven also had some great life lessons, but he was in the U.S. Navy.
University of Texas at Austin 2014 Commencement Address -- 10 lessons from SEAL training:

Back