“That’s Their Problem”: How Jared Kushner Let the Markets Decide America’s COVID-19 Fate

The more we learn about the back end of the response to Covid, the less competent it appears and it was already obviously incompetent even when we didn't know the details.

So, I guess this is a positive? We're not imagining things. The response was incompetent because the people making the decisions were acting incompetently.
I disagree. Japan did less and did it later than the US. Yet the number stayed small for the most part. Deposited sending people from the cruise ship home, on public transportation.
Everything besides social distancing has been a waste imho. Or political, like NYC not using the naval medical ships.

Tbh I didn't realize Kodak was still a thing.
It's a pharmaceutical company that is trying to get our business back from China. Def w weird transformation.
There's also Kodak chemicals that was spun up in the 90s

I disagree. Japan did less and did it later than the US. Yet the number stayed small for the most part. Deposited sending people from the cruise ship home, on public transportation.
Everything besides social distancing has been a waste imho. Or political, like NYC not using the naval medical ships.

That's because the Japanese are already well practiced in fighting infectious viruses and their people aren't selfish assholes who already wear masks for just common colds without acting like it's some great tyranny.

They do it because it's the right thing to do.

Are you reading the decision making processes because that's what I'm talking?

Japan didn't lie to their population about Covid. To my knowledge, no one in the decision rooms of Japan said the equivalent of "fuck them, they'll die and that will teach them a lesson". Japan didn't run out scientists and then follow it up with Abe contradicting them on a weekly, if not daily, basis.

That's incompetence. This is what bad leadership looks like. I don't care if you agree with how things turned out or not, if you look at how decisions are made and how decisions are communicated, it's incompetent. Nothing significant should ever be run this way.

Are you reading the decision making processes because that's what I'm talking?

Japan didn't lie to their population about Covid. To my knowledge, no one in the decision rooms of Japan said the equivalent of "fuck them, they'll die and that will teach them a lesson". Japan didn't run out scientists and then follow it up with Abe contradicting them on a weekly, if not daily, basis.

That's incompetence. This is what bad leadership looks like. I don't care if you agree with how things turned out or not, if you look at how decisions are made and how decisions are communicated, it's incompetent. Nothing significant should ever be run this way.
No. But they sat on their hands and did crap all.
It's clear the scientists had no viable plans and their ideas were basically crash the economy. Which is devastating. They should be shamed and told them they were wrong, as they basically got nothing right, save for being massively overly cautious, which was harmful to being able to make a living.

Tokyo, btw, is the most densely populated city on earth, so it clearly wasn't just social distancing that saved Japan.

Japanese people may have had greater immunity due to earlier exposure to other SARS like viruses...

... or the fact that pretty much everyone wears masks in public at all times might have had something to do with it.

"Kushner, seated at the head of the conference table, in a chair taller than all the others, was quick to strike a confrontational tone. “The federal government is not going to lead this response,” he announced. “It’s up to the states to figure out what they want to do.”

One attendee explained to Kushner that due to the finite supply of PPE, Americans were bidding against each other and driving prices up. To solve that, businesses eager to help were looking to the federal government for leadership and direction.

“Free markets will solve this,” Kushner said dismissively. “That is not the role of government.”

Man, this isn't everything that is wrong in the world squeezed into three paragraphs, but it sure is a lot of it.

No. But they sat on their hands and did crap all.
It's clear the scientists had no viable plans and their ideas were basically crash the economy. Which is devastating. They should be shamed and told them they were wrong, as they basically got nothing right, save for being massively overly cautious, which was harmful to being able to make a living.
So, you're saying that Japan had bad leadership also?

You can shit on the scientists but they don't arrange press conferences. The leadership does. The leadership decides who speaks after reviewing the information and the leadership crafts the public message, which includes the scientists. If you don't agree with the scientists, don't put them on the podium. If you do put them on the podium don't get up and then contradict them.

So even if you have a bone to pick with what the scientists said, it's still a leadership issue. As I said in my previous post, no competent organization runs things this way.

Tim Cook doesn't bring up a bunch of Aplle engineers and then contradict what they say about the products. The message is consistent and if something goes wrong, Tim takes the blame because he orchestrated the message. Tim doesn't put out a message and then try to distance himself from it at the same time. He's not selling Xbox Series X's, for god's sake (lol).

Tokyo, btw, is the most densely populated city on earth, so it clearly wasn't just social distancing that saved Japan.

Japanese people may have had greater immunity due to earlier exposure to other SARS like viruses...

... or the fact that pretty much everyone wears masks in public at all times might have had something to do with it.
Immunity might be the thing. Masks, not sure how kuchen that helps. On a train you're literally inches from each other. I don't think a cloth mask would actually stop it. Plus they have the AC on pretty high on the train, which also spreads it. I me a it's on a pretty high setting and many trains can't open their windows. My train today the AC was on on high and they cracked a few windows. within 2 feet of me, were 3-5 people
I normally wear a mask from November into early April.

It's a pharmaceutical company that is trying to get our business back from China. Def w weird transformation.
There's also Kodak chemicals that was spun up in the 90s
That Kodak deal was shady as fuck but I am sure some in the know made a ton off the stock while creating a ton of bag holders.
The generic drug market the profit margins are razor thin so why not use a company that is experienced with it. Kodak will be this administrations Solyndra.

So, you're saying that Japan had bad leadership also?

You can shit on the scientists but they don't arrange press conferences. The leadership does. The leadership decides who speaks after reviewing the information and the leadership crafts the public message, which includes the scientists. If you don't agree with the scientists, don't put them on the podium. If you do put them on the podium don't get up and then contradict them.

So even if you have a bone to pick with what the scientists said, it's still a leadership issue. As I said in my previous post, no competent organization runs things this way.

Tim Cook doesn't bring up a bunch of Aplle engineers and then contradict what they say about the products. The message is consistent and if something goes wrong, Tim takes the blame because he orchestrated the message. Tim doesn't put out a message and then try to distance himself from it at the same time. He's not selling Xbox Series X's, for god's sake (lol).
Yes, Japan mismanaged it a lot.. Were promised a mask each. Took months and many were moldy ir defective.
They didn't have press conferences. They just recycled what Europe and the US said.
IDK, about contradicting, as even Fauci was seen not following protocol in public. Seems it was rules for thee, while Trump was dumb, he wasn't deceptive like many in the media were and the scientists being totsl alarmists

That Kodak deal was shady as fuck but I am sure some in the know made a ton off the stock while creating a ton of bag holders.
The generic drug market the profit margins are razor thin so why not use a company that is experienced with it. Kodak will be this administrations Solyndra.
I mean it's good s us company got it. But why Kodak? Must be a lobbyists with a golden bag of money out there
And yeah, generic drugs without regulations are like selling groceries. It'll be low single digit profits. At best imho. Weird stuff

Cuomo said that not a single life was lost because people didn't get a hospital bed or ventilator. Only a handful of hospitals ever reached capacity, and nearby hospitals were able to easily take on the overflow patients. The whole thing was a non-story.

Do you even know what PPE is?

Now see, I thought we did argue that it was the states responsibility a few months ago.

Long read but I thought it was worth it. Disappointing to see how bad the federal government messed up the response. I remember Fauci revising his death toll estimate from 100,000-200,000 to 60,000-70,000, oh how naive we were back then.

Why not though? Japanese people practice social distancing anytime they get a cold or its flu season. Its a fairly well ingrained cultural norm for them. Beyond that they're willing to sacrifice personal comfort for the greater good in a way Americans just aren't.

Not saying I'm wedded to this position. Why do you think they fared better?

Back