“Lee Hammond” in TUF latest season?

Home_Slice

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
It’s easier to assume the dude reads this forum as most fighters do so, yeah.
This is not a knock or criticism, just a series of interesting observations.

With that being acknowledged, being a Conor McGregor fan myself I was curious to see how a fighter raised in the same training environment would get on.

1st - the weigh ins. Clearly he lacked the confrontationalism/grit of McGregor, as he wasn’t comfortable in the stare down, then smiled his way out of it.

Not that him not smiling would have made a difference. It was just indicative of his “emotional strength”, if you will - and therefore how his nerves hold up and perform under pressure.

2nd - he was FAR more talented than his opponent. Very slick on the ground. Not wonderful punching technique or power but still better than his opponent, Lovely looking Muay Thai knees.

3rd - he gave up. At the end of round one he was done. He’s nerves got the better of him and he got super tired. And his body basically bottomed out and his opponent capitalized on that.

My appraisal, you can train 24/7 in the gym, be slick as can be, but without that emotional strength, he’s always going to have ceiling on what he can achieve.

In contrast to McGregor, as Dana White said, “if this guy can throw a punch, he’ll be a mega star”. He has emotional fire-power for days.
And in his film, emphasized that was what brought him to the sport in the first place, a means to learn how to manage those difficult emotions.

As Paul Newman (playing Fast Eddie Felson) said:

“Talent excellence is not about excellent talent… it’s about becoming something” (referring to emotional development).

If a fighter loses that means he didn't try hard enough.

1st - the weigh ins. Clearly he lacked the confrontationalism/grit of McGregor, as he wasn’t comfortable in the stare down, then smiled his way out of it.

Yeah... It's grit that made Shogun laugh out loud.

1706789468062.png

That's the absolute one thing you can rarely train away :confused: You either got heart or you don't :confused:
Which is even sometimes a bad thing bc to much heart/toughness can result in you taking way to much punishment just bc you can.

He's very talented but clearly a front runner. He recently lost in Combate Global in a similar way, some superb grappling in the opening round but didn't get Froggy out of there and gassed and got finished.

Basically he's like Bryce Mitchell without the cardio and mental toughness.

Maybe he should get into flat earth.

He's very talented but clearly a front runner. He recently lost in Combate Global in a similar way, some superb grappling in the opening round but didn't get Froggy out of there and gassed and got finished.
My thoughts also.

From this short highlight reel, he looked slick....... until he didn't.

They say you can't train "character"?

My thoughts also.

From this short highlight reel, he looked slick....... until he didn't.

They say you can't train "character"?

I think it can come with maturity though. Do Bronx being the prime example of someone who used to fold when faced with adversity but now doesn't. Although that's more the exception than the norm. I do tend to find that most fighters who show quit always have it in them.

I think it can come with maturity though. Do Bronx being the prime example of someone who used to fold when faced with adversity but now doesn't. Although that's more the exception than the norm. I do tend to find that most fighters who show quit always have it in them.

Yeah I can't believe Chucky Olives would literally fold when in any sort of adversity. Paul Felder made him tap with elbows IIRC, after Chucky won the first round.

To go on, stop folding when the going gets tough, and win the title fighting absolute killers, is quite amazing.

Anthony Smith could be another example. Before UFC he was tapping to strikes left and right.

Episode 8, that fight finish and maybe overall fight was the best so far.

McGregor's response to it is an example of why he's so beloved.

Hilarious.

Shit let me tell you something, this Kurt guy.........

I just watched episode 11.

The fact Lee Hammond made it look EASY against him, up until his nerves basically bottomed out.......... at 26 years of age you'd have to imagine, he makes the necessary adjustments, he could be a force.

But his opponent Kurt looked very on-top-of-his-game in episode 11.

Solid boxing.

Some of the most mma specific boxing we've seen, certainly on TUF?

"He gave up" is one of the weakest excuses in a sport that requires endurance, grit, and heart. It's like saying someone that is ahead after a few miles in a marathon only lost because they gave up. Maybe they just weren't conditioned or have the skill set for a marathon. He's a front runner - plain and simple. He's also lost since. I definitely don't think you can say someone is more skilled if they show they are ahead early. That's not the game...

Back