Zookeeper Gabe's Animal Thread V7.0

@KnightTemplar figured I’d move the dragon talk here so don’t derail the super important Avengers topic any more.
There’s no telling exactly how big she will end up being, my guess is around 6’6” and 85-90lbs. Females can top 7’ and 150lbs but I don’t think she will end up being huge.
link to dragon talk in Avengers thread?

@KnightTemplar figured I’d move the dragon talk here so don’t derail the super important Avengers topic any more.
There’s no telling exactly how big she will end up being, my guess is around 6’6” and 85-90lbs. Females can top 7’ and 150lbs but I don’t think she will end up being huge.
Nice. I was going to ask a follow up question in that thread but stopped myself thinking that was not the place.

So what are the signs she might be getting more aggressive or unhandleable? Do you expect a clear sign(s) or escalations over time and that suddenly one day she might not just bite?

If she does bite do you have anti venom and bacterial to deal with the bite?

Do zoo's like yours general have a prefered hospital nearby that might be familiar with the types of issues you guys might coming racing in with?

That’s a big fucking deer man
They really are a sight to behold. I was driving home last year at about 2am, smack dab in the middle of the rut and almost hit one. It decided to just casually stroll across the road. No word of a lie if it's legs were about 2 feet further apart and it were standing right, I could have driven under it.

@Badger67 the really big males are right around the 300 mark. It’s amazing watching them gorge, Fed ours a 6lb bunny yesterday and she’s only 35lbs.

@MikeMcMann her behaviors would become more standoffish, not come around for scratches, be more aggressive during feedings as they rarely just flip a switch and attack unless you smell like food. I only hang out with her in the morning as the afternoons are for feeding and training. All of that being said, she could totally become aggressive one day so you just have to pay attention.
If she actually bit me there isn’t any antivenin as it’s actually a relatively rudimentary Venom compared to snakes but supportive care would be important. The trauma from the bite would be bad and bacterial infection would be a serious risk. Since we have venomous snakes at the zoo we do have a doctor local that specializes in treating snake bites (rare in Rhode Island but he moved from NC). It’s really important to have a doctor that knows how to treat a venomous snake bite because improper treatments can cause more issues down the road.

@Badger67 the really big males are right around the 300 mark. It’s amazing watching them gorge, Fed ours a 6lb bunny yesterday and she’s only 35lbs.

@MikeMcMann her behaviors would become more standoffish, not come around for scratches, be more aggressive during feedings as they rarely just flip a switch and attack unless you smell like food. I only hang out with her in the morning as the afternoons are for feeding and training. All of that being said, she could totally become aggressive one day so you just have to pay attention.
If she actually bit me there isn’t any antivenin as it’s actually a relatively rudimentary Venom compared to snakes but supportive care would be important. The trauma from the bite would be bad and bacterial infection would be a serious risk. Since we have venomous snakes at the zoo we do have a doctor local that specializes in treating snake bites (rare in Rhode Island but he moved from NC). It’s really important to have a doctor that knows how to treat a venomous snake bite because improper treatments can cause more issues down the road.
Interesting. Thx. I find it awesome and fascinatiing.

But be careful out there sherbro. I've seen pics of you and you don't look like the biggest guy. In fact one might say you look like are about 150lbs of meat.

The ones that weigh 350+ have almost always eaten recently so that distorts their weight. Since they can theoretically eat 80% of their body weight in one sitting that throws those massive weights off.
<{katwhu}>

Interesting. Thx. I find it awesome and fascinatiing.

But be careful out there sherbro. I've seen pics of you and you don't look like the biggest guy. In fact one might say you look like are about 150lbs of meat.

<{katwhu}>
Lol. Thanks but I’m actually over 200, my arms may be skinny but I’m thicc in da legs and booty.

check this, crazy think human were already a thing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalania
Dang. No matter what the final size was, I think @Zookeeper Gabe would end up being a bite sized snack for it, booty and all.

Early estimates placed the length of the largest individuals at 7 m (23 ft), with a maximum weight of approximately 600–620 kg (1,320–1,370 lb). In 2002, Stephen Wroe considerably downsized megalania, suggesting a maximum length of 4.5 m (15 ft) and a weight of 331 kg (730 lb) with averages of 3.5 m (11 ft) and 97–158 kg (214–348 lb).decrying the earlier maximum length estimate of 7 m (23 ft) as exaggerations based on flawed methods. However, in 2009, Wroe, along with other researchers revised upwards their estimates to at least 5.5 m (18 ft) and 575 kg (1,268 lb).

220px-Extant_Monitor_lizards-Megalania_SIZE.png

Two size estimations of megalania compared to extant monitor lizards and a human

I would love to have been able to see a Megalania chase down the megafauna of the times. Komodo dragons are awesome as it is let alone something 3 times the weight.

Amazing high speed footage of a cheetah

warning: disturbing footage

A komodo ripping flesh off a live buffalo

I only hope that this is an actual interaction between two wild animals, these are often staged which is pretty awful imo. But yes, it’s a pretty brutal existence.

"Stargazer fish is often called the ‘meanest thing in creation’ as it can deliver both venom and electric shocks, often locally known as mother-in-law fish"

shutterstock_223161913.jpg

1534759698_uranoscopidae-poisson-le-plus-laid.jpg

Some videos for you guys.
Here’s Patsy our 9banded armadillo taking a bath

Here’s some slow motion dragon tongue action to get you hot and heavy.

Gabe you seen THE IRWINS on animal planet? they finally come out with a decent reality show. Love to see Steve's kids carry his legacy at the Australia Zoo. They are definitely doing things proper there. I cried for sure the first episode.

Back