Zookeeper Gabes Animal Thread 4.0

Look at this bad boy.

_68495901_c0076990-thylacosmilus_atrox_mammal-spl.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23126270

Why did all the large marsupial predators go extinct?

Why did all the large marsupial predators go extinct?

The prevailing explanations primarily involve being out competed by eutherians.
There are differences in morphology and physiology that allow greater intrinsic rates of increase for eutherians, greater niche exploitation, and greater thermal tolerances.

The prevailing explanations primarily involve being out competed by eutherians.
There are differences in morphology and physiology that allow greater intrinsic rates of increase for eutherians, greater niche exploitation, and greater thermal tolerances.
Which is why they are still prevalent in Australia; no (or few) eutherians to compete with them?

Which is why they are still prevalent in Australia; no (or few) eutherians to compete with them?

Generally, though SA was able to maintain decent numbers of metatherians even after the Isthmus of Panama was formed/surfaced. There's some speculation that the development of metatherians (need for grasping forelimbs) plays a strong role in limiting their ecological niche exploitation (e.g. can't have wings or flippers). Likewise, metatherians have smaller tolerable temperature ranges at least as youn.

Im just bringing the cold truth to the table. Nothing more my good man.

Debatable that a cheetah is smarter than a rock let alone any marsupial.

It's a scientific fact that you can not run at those speeds and be dumb.

Actually it is the opposite. You can't have a big head and run at those speeds. You need a teeny-tiny head and thus brain otherwise the resistance keeps you from reaching high speed.

Supporting evidence: Skull morphology of sight hounds.

SCIENCE!

This thread is more fun than the WR. Why do I always go back there?

(am I a cheetah?)

Actually it is the opposite. You can't have a big head and run at those speeds. You need a teeny-tiny head and thus brain otherwise the resistance keeps you from reaching high speed.

Supporting evidence: Skull morphology of sight hounds.

SCIENCE!

Smaller skull maybe, but small intellect and sophistication...I don't know.
For instance take this photo taken, in the wild mind you, in 2009.

smartcheetah.jpg

I love when you post that picture.

l_b9b94780-5d2c-11e1-b4bf-f51cc2300003.jpg

Sophisticated Whale and Sophisticated Cheetah are the best of friends. :D

Tuna versus lion.

That ducking cheetah makes me laugh very fucking time. I can't believe it's time for V5.0. Dochter is all wicked smart. Makes me feel dumb as hell.

Back