Zookeeper Gabes Animal Thread 4.0

I was under the impression that cheetahs were the inbred morons of the big cat world.

I was under the impression that cheetahs were the inbred morons of the big cat world.

That is a vicious rumor spread by evil zookeepers who are against cheetahs.

You have to have smarts to be that fast.

This should be at very petting zoo

1E49C9B5-303E-4070-8BFE-684942E9D801-3120-0000043DA62BFA7A.jpg

Blitz ,thats a bad ass pic.
That looks scary as hell.

Something killing pets in IN neighborhood, a couple stays up to kill the bobcat. Couple shoots what appears to be large bobcat, couple shoots Leopard

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/natio...ard-article-1.1380300?localLinksEnabled=false

showing my ignorance but whats the difference between a leopard and a jaguar?

i ask because i have a friend who swears he saw a panther hunting early one morning. any chance these things are spreading out from the south and moving into new territory

i ask because i have a friend who swears he saw a panther hunting early one morning. any chance these things are spreading out from the south and moving into new territory

Leopards and jaguars are both big cats in the genus Panthera (along with lions and tigers), but leopards are old world (Africa/Asia) and jaguars are new world (the Americas). Jaguars once inhabited the southern US, but it's not part of it's modern range. It's much more likely he saw a bobcat, which live throughout the US. But, as the article shows, it's not actually impossible that he saw an escaped/released exotic pet.

Beyond what jbs said Jags are larger, have a much thicker wider skull and their pattern is different. Leopards in general have a spot or rosett while jags usually have spots inside their rosett. Jags have started to expand northward and we have a few confirmed sightings in the desert southwest.

Also as far as the term panther goes he probably saw either a bobcat even possibly a cougar. He also could have seen a dog or a large house cat, I'm not shitting kn your friend here, I know multiple people who have seen "panthers" and I've actually gone out and tracked the animal. They were dog prints :)

Like how they describe the gun man shooting at a "shadowy creature" First thing you learn when you get your gun and hunting license is to identify what the fuck your shooting at lol. Still a pretty crazy story none the less

Beyond what jbs said Jags are larger, have a much thicker wider skull and their pattern is different. Leopards in general have a spot or rosett while jags usually have spots inside their rosett. Jags have started to expand northward and we have a few confirmed sightings in the desert southwest.

Also as far as the term panther goes he probably saw either a bobcat even possibly a cougar. He also could have seen a dog or a large house cat, I'm not shitting kn your friend here, I know multiple people who have seen "panthers" and I've actually gone out and tracked the animal. They were dog prints :)

we see plenty of bob cats, some really large ones sometimes. and our state game office swears there are no cougars in alabama anymore. i dont know what it was and in regards to the post above, because he followed the dont shoot unless you know what you are shooting at, we will never know. not complaining, he did the right thing.

I don't know a lot of Leopards, but I know they're not native to Indiana.

Back