Your Thoughts On Gary Goodridge?

Oddly enough, I showed the lady a few interviews with him tonight. I find his current state to be so sad. He was an absolute warrior and always went hard. He has a great interview on youtube, with a guy named hannibal. Highly recommend it. Hannibal also has interviews with mark coleman, don Frye, and tank abbot. All very entertaining and eye opening.

Oddly enough, I showed the lady a few interviews with him tonight. I find his current state to be so sad. He was an absolute warrior and always went hard. He has a great interview on youtube, with a guy named hannibal. Highly recommend it. Hannibal also has interviews with mark coleman, don Frye, and tank abbot. All very entertaining and eye opening.
thank u

He's admitted that the CTE wasn't from MMA as much it was from K1 kickboxing.
That is not something he can 'admit'. Like the person with brain damage could possibly know something like that. Not even doctors could know. They cannot go back and pinpoint something like that. Could have been from one major concussion, and he would have had it anyway if he only got KO'd that one time. Or it could have been from all the concussions added up and he needed all of them to end up with CTE. They can't tell you. It doesn't work like that.

Gary himself was just guessing.

That is not something he can 'admit'. Like the person with brain damage could possibly know something like that. Not even doctors could know. They cannot go back and pinpoint something like that. Could have been from one major concussion, and he would have had it anyway if he only got KO'd that one time. Or it could have been from all the concussions added up and he needed all of them to end up with CTE. They can't tell you. It doesn't work like that.

Gary himself was just guessing.

I'm sure he would know. When he first got diagnosed he did a bunch of interviews and went on inside MMA to promote his book. Bas rutten and they both said as much because K1 is only knockouts. He was still well spoken at the time. I don't know how bad it's gotten since. This was like 2012.

Last edited:
First UFC event I ever saw was three months afterwards, on vhs. Every guy on the block crowded into the dorm to see it.

Goodridge wrecked Herrera so quickly and so brutally I was hooked.

It felt so underground then. Now it's glitz and glamour Mcgarbage.
I remember it used to be in tge same shelf as the faces of death tapes

He's admitted that the CTE wasn't from MMA as much it was from K1 kickboxing.
This was clear, Gary would easily get frozen in K1 and many times just stand there with his guard up trying to check a kick with his lead leg that wasn’t there to check usually. Guard up, taking massive blows it was sad for a while.

Last edited:
Hannibal has a great channel good call

Legend. Tough guy that would take on all comers.

Legend. Too bad what happened to him, with the head trauma and I believe, memory loss, etc. My understanding is that was mostly due to kickboxing. Either way, sucks.

Legend. Too bad what happened to him, with the head trauma and I believe, memory loss, etc. My understanding is that was mostly due to kickboxing. Either way, sucks.
I also see him as the greatest legend of this lovely sport, an ultimate warrior, an emperor, a real pioneer. I also feel sorry because of his brain damage, he didn't deserve that. But given that he had courage to face anybody anytime, it was kinda inevitable. :(

Tough guy, and definitely one of the faces or early MMA. Had lots of exciting fights but absorbed a ton of damage during his career. But his UFC debut is the stuff of legend.

The sport chewed him up and spit him out .

Yeah I like Big Daddy but I think he's a cautionary tale for the PRIDE style of matchmaking. Yes, a lot of his damage probably came from his kickboxing career, but a lot of it came from being a solid but not great fighter who routinely ended up in there with great fighters because he is a charismatic dude who people like.

With the current rankings way of doing things, that wouldn't happen.

Goodridge is a just bleed legend .....provided lots of entertainment over the years

Back