• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Your Thoughts On Gary Goodridge?

vladimirvlad

MMA is my life
@Green
Reaction score
Gary Goodridge was ready to face anybody and anywhere. Maybe he suffers serious brain damage, but in my eyes, this guy will be a legend forever. What do you think about this amazing man, the owner of the most brutal knockout in the history of UFC?

Dan Bobish stoppage

LHK Loss Gilbert Yvel

Yoshiaki Yatsu win

First Pride KO versus Oleg Taktarov

Le Banner loss

Don Frye demolition

Most brutal UFC KO vs Paul Herrera

To me, this guy is a real legend. How about you?

He should have retired after head kicking don frye and getting his revenge. Everything else after that I feel was just extra gratuitous cte

First UFC event I ever saw was three months afterwards, on vhs. Every guy on the block crowded into the dorm to see it.

Goodridge wrecked Herrera so quickly and so brutally I was hooked.

It felt so underground then. Now it's glitz and glamour Mcgarbage.

He should have retired after head kicking don frye and getting his revenge. Everything else after that I feel was just extra gratuitous cte
Yup, he should have, but Gary chose to fight until the end... and now he is fighting CTE...

First UFC event I ever saw was three months afterwards, on vhs. Every guy on the block crowded into the dorm to see it.

Goodridge wrecked Herrera so quickly and so brutally I was hooked.

It felt so underground then. Now it's glitz and glamour Mcgarbage.
I watched UFC 1 on VHS, also three months later, and I was hooked by Royce's impossible wins, but Gary Goodridge is the real reason for my love towards MMA, I was also hooked after his brutal KO over Herrera, and I said my life mission will be to spread the love towards the best sport in the world everywhere. Even today, people in my country think I have brain damage because of love for MMA hah, but I haven't changed my mind after 25 years, I love MMA even more now. :D

I watched UFC 1 on VHS, also three months later, and I was hooked by Royce's impossible wins, but Gary Goodridge is the real reason for my love towards MMA, I was also hooked after his brutal KO over Herrera, and I said my life mission will be to spread the love towards the best sport in the world everywhere. Even today, people in my country think I have brain damage because of love for MMA hah, but I haven't changed my mind after 25 years, I love MMA even more now. :D
Embarrassingly, there was a ring girl walking around before his fight with a card reading "Kuk Sool Won", supposedly the style he used.

So I was hot to find someone who could teach it to me, and only later understood that it was a sponsorship gimmick.

He fought a who’s who of MMA and K1 and has nearly 100 fights. He deserves the respect of every fight fan. The man would have fought a tiger in a cage if you let him. Fearless. Lot of respect for him.

a poorly trained big meat head, now hes suffering the consequences

Gary Goodrich was not very technical

Prior to his debut in the UFC, he was already famous in Japan where he took challenges from Japanese armwrestlers on tv shows. He didn't appear to be a violent person.

Sanae kikuta mentioned the vovchanchyn fight was the hugest upset of the era because he thought Igor literally had no chance. That tells how invincible big daddy looked to the Japanese pros back then. Even sakuraba denied the possibly of fighting him.

Prior to his debut in the UFC, he was already famous in Japan where he took challenges from Japanese armwrestlers on tv shows. He didn't appear to be a violent person.

Sanae kikuta mentioned the vovchanchyn fight was the hugest upset of the era because he thought Igor literally had no chance. That tells how invincible big daddy looked to the Japanese pros back then. Even sakuraba denied the possibly of fighting him.
Big Daddy was a real legend.

a poorly trained big meat head, now hes suffering the consequences

It wasn't a good decision to go to K-1 full-time in his late 30's after "retiring" from PRIDE in 2003. Could have saved his brain a whole lot of trauma if Goodridge called it a career at that point.

Gary Goodridge was built for XARM.

Big daddy is a true mma pioneer and was a legit competitor back in the days. its sad seeing him in the state he is.

A man who should be respected but should also be used as a example: Retire when you are on top or when you start declining or you could end up like Big Daddy.

Last edited:
It wasn't a good decision to go to K-1 full-time in his late 30's after "retiring" from PRIDE in 2003. Could have saved his brain a whole lot of trauma if Goodridge called it a career at that point.

Gary Goodridge was built for XARM.

yeah, it was a bad call.

Big daddy is a true mma pioneer and was a legit competitor back in the days. its sad seeing him in the state he is.

A man who should be respected but also should be used as a example: Retire when you are on top or when you start declining or you could end up like Big Daddy.
I have nothing but respect for Gary. He's actually the reason why I love this sport so much. Especially after KO (elbows) win over Herrera.

Well, technically, SAKU G. would have faced him, had Big Daddy beaten Igor...
SAKU G. reportedly only said no to a potential Fedor fight...

A priori, the most feared OG of that era was Igor, tho...

Well, technically, SAKU G. would have faced him, had Big Daddy beaten Igor...
SAKU G. reportedly only said no to a potential Fedor fight...

A priori, the most feared OG of that era was Igor, tho...
yup, you are right.

The UFC crucifix KO elbows seemed like the perfect technique. I would have guessed more would copy it.

I feel guilty watching him get beat down now, given his state....

Back