Your Thoughts On Gary Goodridge?

Lot of fans unfairly remember only Gary's final losing streak.
2006 post, 40 yrs old Gary Goodridge = a can,
but
1998 Gary Goodridge = Top 10 ranked MMA fighter

Gary had solid career, being pioneer, UFC tournament finalist and International Vale Tudo champion. He had notable wins including 3 wins vs UFC champions: Frye, Bohlander, and Taktarov, beat Pedro Otavio while he was very prominent on MMA scene, also beat Valentijn Overeem after his RINGS tournament final (and wins vs Couture, Sobral, and Freeman) when Valentijn was in Top 10.
Skillwise, Goodridge was one of the biggest and strongest fighters on scene at that time, with solid boxing fundamentals, a prototype for later big black brawers like Lewis, Rogers, Ngannou. And he even did takedowns and ground and pound which we can hardly see from them nowadays.
Goodridge got a nickname "Gatekeeper", meaning - the guy you have to beat to prove that you are good enough to climb towards top.

He's probably in a worse place than Spencer Fisher. And I don't know if it was worth our entertainment for him to be that bad off. Or Spencer.

Eh. I mean I liked him sometimes, because he did bring the fight. But his after KO shots on Oleg were unforgivable IMO.

Ill prepared see as a canadian in ontario i've heard the stories from the old arm wrestling champs that they all got the offer and he was just the one who actually tried it

Goodridge got a nickname "Gatekeeper", meaning - the guy you have to beat to prove that you are good enough to climb towards top.

He was like a sub-boss in a fighting video game (Goro in Mortal Kombat, Balrog in Street Fighter 2, etc).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Real Deal
Back