Your favourite sci-fi film of the 21st century?

These aren't necessarily my favourites, but they're all good ones nobody has mentioned yet.
p13458606_p_v8_aa.jpg

MV5BMjQ1YmQwYjctOTkwZC00ZTQ2LWI3ZmMtZDFhM2QyY2ZjODgxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA4NjE0NjEy._V1_.jpg

91igF2K-VgL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

81vLYdZ1bGL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

71oYv9stlEL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Sunshine was underrated too.

I loved that film until the final act which was zombie horror. Really threw me off.

Best use of one of my favorite pieces of soundtrack, though.

I loved that film until the final act which was zombie horror. Really threw me off.

Adagio in D minor makes everything better.

I don't think it comes out of leftfield nearly as much as is claimed though, you see hints at it in the crews behaviour, Surle especially.

You could argue "if they'd just not put the sun window in everything would be fine" does make it a little silly I spose but generally I think that was the most interesting aspect of the film, seeing a kind of new age religious view bent in that direction, maybe a a bit of a comment that such "earth mother" or Darwinist viewpoints should not forget their humanist aspect to avoid turning in the same direction.

Not too much good sci fi in general so it's slim pickins. Children of Men is prescient and has a great soundtrack. Edge of Tomorrow was pretty fun too. I remember liking Moon a bit and and getting excited about Source Code but it has too much Dunkin Donuts in it.

Not too much good sci fi in general so it's slim pickins. Children of Men is prescient and has a great soundtrack. Edge of Tomorrow was pretty fun too.
scifi does often feel a shallow genre, w/ more “okay” releases than great ones, but there still have been plenty of the latter (see list above), some of which are capital “G” Great

scifi does often feel a shallow genre, w/ more “okay” releases than great ones, but there still have been plenty of the latter (see list above), some of which are capital “G” Great
Really its as much a setting as a genre a lot of the time, obviously one of the favourites for Hollywood blockbuster post Starwars.

To be fair though I think after Blade Runner flopping rather killed off Hollywoods interest in serious sci fi I do think there was rather more substance to the Arnie style action stuff which followed in 80's to early 90's. Obviously Terminator but quite a few films like Robocop, Running Man, Total Recall, etc do actually have more teeth to them politically than they were given credit for at the time.

I'm sure there's some goodies nowadays but it's always been a watered down genre imo. I couldn't even name many I like from the 20th Century. I just saw someone post Shin Godzilla which I liked and haven't seen Dune yet but plan on it.

I'm sure there's some goodies nowadays but it's always been a watered down genre imo. I couldn't even name many I like from the 20th Century. I just saw someone post Shin Godzilla which I liked and haven't seen Dune yet but plan on it.
Dune is good, but you might as well wait until part 2 drops at this point. make a day of it lol

No doubt. Honestly I was gonna wait til they finished the whole series. Reread the books then dive in.

HER hasn't been mentioned and deserves to be: an absolutely wonderful film, just without the war and spaceships that most sci fi relies on.

It's been a great 23 years for sci fi:
Minority Report
Children of Men
Dune
Blade Runner 2049
Her

All fantastic.

Finger's crossed for Part 2 of Dune and here's hoping someone does a great new cyberpunk movie now that the game is finally a success. A great version of Neuromancer would be a sweet, sweet thing. Star Wars cannot be redeemed, but I still hold out hope that a new, wonderful Star Trek movie could be made.

Hard to pick a favorite. Favorites:

Donnie Darko
Ex Machina
Inception
District 9
Chappie
Prometheus
Interstellar
Prospect
Children of Men
Blade Runner 2049
Tron: Legacy