Your favourite sci-fi film of the 21st century?

I predict the best one will be the new Dune movie coming out.

here is a recent list of the top 62 sci fi movies of the 21st century. admittingly there are quite a few I still need to see

my top 10 in order:

1-donnie darko
2-mad max fury road
3-ex machina
4-minority report
5-edge of tomorrow
6-snowpiercer
7-arrival
8-interstellar
9-10 cloverfield lane
10-moon

Vast of Night on that list is definitely worst seeking out, small town after dark kind of X-files atmosphere.

Hey dude I am a 50-something year old dude who has spent approx 30+ years of my adult life watching movies in cinema, TVs and currently my large laptop.
Photographer continuously since November 1987, (first Nikon SLR bought then)m first for fun then professionally. Ain't no frigging BOT going on here man so quit with that shit. A bot isn't gonna make 20,000posts on Sherdog over 5.5 years or whatever the hell it is now lol, and fool everyone that i'm not a real person.

I do NOT read movie reviews and plagiarize anything, GTFO with that shit. Any movie I comment on is simply because i've seen it and (probalby) liked it, often multiple times (Coherence I'd say i've watched 5 times at least now). Bit of background info : I shoot video for a living and pro photos for a living (example : I have a paid Live band shoot on Friday, bringing 4 remote-control flashguns for that, 2 cameras, 3lenses, plus grip gear for the lights) so I do know a lot about cinematography and lighting and lenses, shutter-angles, color-grading in post and 27 other movie/video-related technical and artistic things that you have no clue about, and never will.

Get out of this thread if you cannot handle others being more knowledgeable and making decent quality posts which *contribute* to the thread. If all you can do is create lies / negativity and attempt to tear other posters down, you should leave Sherdog permanently --- we don't need or want you here.

Sorry bud, my fault. I was being a jerk.

I've never heard the terms: hard, medium and soft sci-fi.

Hard sci-fi means the laws of physics and other sciences are followed. All technology is based on existing scientific knowledge & principles with some allowances made for future improvements (eg. a full scale nuclear rocket based on the prototypes we made in the 60s). There's no warp drives, jump gates, or faster than light communication, humans will live a few decades longer than they currently do but they're not going to have 1000 year lifespans, and you're not going have a planet killer weapon in the palm of your hand.

Soft sci-fi means we can make up whatever we want as long as it's more or less internally consistent. Star Wars, Star Trek, and Dune for example would fall into this category.

Medium would be somewhere in between. I can't think of an example movie off the top of my head, but it would be something like this: humans find a jump gate left behind by ancient aliens, they travel through it and discover it's an entire network of gates. Humans go exploring, find aliens, shit happens and stuff gets blown up. Most stuff is based on current science except for the jump gates and whatever technology we can steal or reverse engineer.

Hard sci-fi means the laws of physics and other sciences are followed. All technology is based on existing scientific knowledge & principles with some allowances made for future improvements (eg. a full scale nuclear rocket based on the prototypes we made in the 60s). There's no warp drives, jump gates, or faster than light communication, humans will live a few decades longer than they currently do but they're not going to have 1000 year lifespans, and you're not going have a planet killer weapon in the palm of your hand.

Soft sci-fi means we can make up whatever we want as long as it's more or less internally consistent. Star Wars, Star Trek, and Dune for example would fall into this category.

Medium would be somewhere in between. I can't think of an example movie off the top of my head, but it would be something like this: humans find a jump gate left behind by ancient aliens, they travel through it and discover it's an entire network of gates. Humans go exploring, find aliens, shit happens and stuff gets blown up. Most stuff is based on current science except for the jump gates and whatever technology we can steal or reverse engineer.

Inception & minority report definitely come across as soft science films.

Last edited:
I think most, if not all Sci-Fi fits that category, unless it's based on a true story. I can't think of a sci-fi flick that didn't skirt the rules here and there, for entertainment's sake. I mean, the "Fi" is the fiction.

I think most, if not all Sci-Fi fits that category, unless it's based on a true story. I can't think of a sci-fi flick that didn't skirt the rules here and there, for entertainment's sake. I mean, the "Fi" is the fiction.

I can think of some episodes of Black Mirror that are pretty realistic. The episode with the robot dogs for instance was inspired by real technology.

I can think of some episodes of Black Mirror that are pretty realistic. The episode with the robot dogs for instance was inspired by real technology.
"Pretty realistic" doesn't quite cut it. I think the "fiction" of that episode, would be that they all became murder machines. It's "plausible", I guess, but the writers are still making up their own version of the future and how the technology evolves. Kind of like a movie about an AI system going rogue.

Just some that haven't been mentioned

Star Trek into Darkness
Rise of the planet of the apes

First season of Westworld, although not a movie this is some amazing sci Fi

Limitless

English speaking films only please.
I got excited for a second to check out these mentioned films i never heard of, only to find out they are not in English.

Hard to Be a God
since people are listing it up, these are my top ten essential scifi flicks of the 21st century (exempting superhero flicks, like the two Spider-Verse & scifi adjacents like Memoria or EGG.):

1. Hard to Be a God

2. Blade Runner 2049
3. WALL•E
4. Paprika
5. Poor Things
6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
7. Under the Skin
8. Arrival
9. Ex Machina
10. Children of Men

hm: Mad Max: Fury Road, Nope, Sorry to Bother You

"Pretty realistic" doesn't quite cut it. I think the "fiction" of that episode, would be that they all became murder machines. It's "plausible", I guess, but the writers are still making up their own version of the future and how the technology evolves. Kind of like a movie about an AI system going rogue.

Robots murdering people would just be a matter of programming, right? Entirely within the realm of possibility. I'm using the other posters definition of "hard sci fi", not arguing that this particular scenario is likely.

Robots murdering people would just be a matter of programming, right? Entirely within the realm of possibility. I'm using the other posters definition of "hard sci fi", not arguing that this particular scenario is likely.
I think that's when it gets into the weeds with the sub-categories of sci-fi. I'm fine with just sticking with the all encompassing "sci-fi".

1. Under The Skin
2. Mad Max: Fury Road
3. Godzilla Minus One
4. Inception
5. Ex Machina

Edge of Tomorrow or Arrival. Arrival for serious, Edge for popcorn. Great movies either way.

I see people saying Fury Road, I don't see how that's sci-fi but I really liked it.

Shouts to District 9, was enjoyable. Haven't seen Blade Runner 2049 nor the new Godzilla, I feel like I need to rectify that.

I see people saying Fury Road, I don't see how that's sci-fi but I really liked it.
I get it but it's hard to classify most post-apocalyptic films as sc-fi since humanity regressed in terms of technology for the genre to be considered sci-fi.

Back