Yoel is too explosive and too cautious to be taken down by Luke

L

Lissove

Unlike Weidman, Luke won't be able to go for double or single legs against Yoel because of the whole height difference and Luke not being quick enough to do them. Yoel wasn't submitted by Jacare when he was on the ground gassed, so I don't believe Luke will have luck getting Yoel's thick neck.

Luke gassed hard against Weidman and against Branch, I don't see why Luke would want to take it "deep waters" as it would imply not going hard on Yoel the first rounds what would further imply Yoel won't be gassed(see Machida fight) in the later rounds. Hell, Whittaker was gassed in the 5th round too in his bout against Yoel.

Yoel won't be attempting as much takedowns like he did against Whittaker and so will have more oxygen circulating throughout his body in later rounds.

Yoel is a better boxer than Luke and also has a tremendous yet elusive chin(Whittaker expressed surprise how hard Yoel was to hit). It's only matter of time before Yoel lands and Luke won't take it.

I see it as a slow starter and Luke getting tired, dropping his hands, and following the fate like many other Yoel's opponents when they think Yoel isn't as explosive in the 3rd yet they are gravely mistaken.

Yoel has been taken down plenty, mostly because he's doesn't give a fuck. Nobody's holding him down, unless he gasses. I think Luke's tank is better than Romero's, so maybe he will initiate more wrastling exchanges with Romero on short notice. Doesn't really matter if he gets him down or not, just make him work in the clinch.

Last edited:
I think this will go down as per your last paragraph.

Luke's kicks and top game are his strengths but neither will be of use against Yoel. Kicks will get caught and Yoel won't get taken down or kept down.

I watch Yoel now and between stamina and age, I think he starts to regress as a fighter.

I don’t think Luke really gassed in the Branch fight

Yoel has terrifying power, and Luke has always been notoriously chinny, and has suspect striking defense.

Luke also won't be able to grapple with Yoel in the early rds which has always been his bread and butter. It'll be interesting to see what Yoel does against Luke in the wrestling department, I've never seen Luke dominated with wrestling, but Yoel does what he does to EVERYBODY.

I legit think Luke is the best overall fighter in the MW division. But Yoels a HORRIBLE match up for him.

Flip a coin on this one

Epic fight though

Hmm. I want to say Romero, but Luke could possibly survive rd 1 & 2 and pick Romero apart for three rounds to a UD

Luke wasn't gassed against Branch, Luke also beat Weidman's ass with staph infection. Luke has a great gas tank and has finished all of his opponents but 2.

If Yoel takes Luke down well Luke has the best sprawl I've ever seen.

Correction TS, Yoel is too roided up and soaked in juice for Luke.

Romero is going to make the bisping and belfort knockouts look like nothing

No one is beating a motivated and serious rockhold. Yoel loses to him.

No just nearly outclassed by a journeyman. Yoel takes this
Because he got punched like three times before destroying him?
<36>

You don’t know the meaning of the word outclassed. He was not nearly outclassed

I was going to like the thread because I agree there will be little takedowns and ground action. But come on, Yoel dominating Luke on the feet? Luke's reach advantage alone would make that pretty hard.

Do not delusion yourself this fight can go either way. I agree Romero is deadly especially in early rounds but if Rockhold has elite gameplan he can do what Whittaker did. I would favor Romero over Whittaker in rematch though.

Unlike Weidman, Luke won't be able to go for double or single legs against Yoel because of the whole height difference and Luke not being quick enough to do them. Yoel wasn't submitted by Jacare when he was on the ground gassed, so I don't believe Luke will have luck getting Yoel's thick neck.

Luke gassed hard against Weidman and against Branch, I don't see why Luke would want to take it "deep waters" as it would imply not going hard on Yoel the first rounds what would further imply Yoel won't be gassed(see Machida fight) in the later rounds. Hell, Whittaker was gassed in the 5th round too in his bout against Yoel.

Yoel won't be attempting as much takedowns like he did against Whittaker and so will have more oxygen circulating throughout his body in later rounds.

Yoel is a better boxer than Luke and also has a tremendous yet elusive chin(Whittaker expressed surprise how hard Yoel was to hit). It's only matter of time before Yoel lands and Luke won't take it.

I see it as a slow starter and Luke getting tired, dropping his hands, and following the fate like many other Yoel's opponents when they think Yoel isn't as explosive in the 3rd yet they are gravely mistaken.

All Luke has to do is play it safe for the first couple rounds then have his way with no cardio Yoel.

Not impressed by yoel's striking

But luke ain't great either

Back