Yelled at for not dropping 135 deadlift in a controlled manner.

It's good manners to not bother other people. You were just warming up, you didn't need to drop the weight as if you were PRing or something.

If the sound of weights falling down bother you, you might wanna pick up another hobby, like Chinese checkers or ice curling.

So at this gold's gym I go to now, there is one platform and sets of Bumper plates. I load up 135 for warm up dead lifts. I did 5 romanian deadlifts with emphasis on speed, so I'm not worried about putting the bar down in a slow manner. After I finished with the warm up set, two slighter old gym goers that have been regulars for a while doing quarter squats came up to me and asked me why I'm not controlling the dead lifts down so there's no noise. I explained to him that this is a gym and that I'm on a lifting platform and using bumper plates. I also added in the fact that I'm here to practice my classical lifts. Dude cuts me off immediately after hearing "Olympic" and which he asked me "But you're not in the Olympics so lower the weights carefully". I get furious, half of which because he cut me off for trying to explain what I'm doing and the rest is his obvious ignorance of anything Olympic lifting. Instead of yelling back I just apologized. Guy calls me an idiot and an attention whore. I get more furious but instead of using my words, I loaded up 225 to do a clean and jerk. I caught the clean, ride it down the bottom and made eye on contact with the idiot gym goer. I rised up easily with the weight all with eye contact with him and then finished up with a jerk. After holding the weight on the oh position i slammed the weight down while making eye contact with him He goes back to do his 315 quarter squats I still have more tricks. I loaded up 185 on the bar and muscle snatched the weight and lowered it to my shoulder. Dropped down to a full squat and klokov pressed the weight admittedly with a little rebound. I could tell they both were watching me intently at this point so I dropped the bar from the bottom postion and proceeded to do 5 more power cleans purposely dropping the weight from my shoulders. They left without saying anything and went on to do their leg presses.

Was I wrong not gently dropping the 135s down in a controlled manner? It wasn't like i was dropping it from the waist. It was guided down.
giphy.gif

sports bar is that way ---->

If the sound of weights falling down bother you, you might wanna pick up another hobby, like Chinese checkers or ice curling.

There is a time and place for things. Dropping a warm-up set in a commercial gym is not the most acceptable etiquette given the environment, which TS should have realized, fellow Untermensch.

I think you just wanted an excuse to eye fuck some old dudes while you were lifting. Hey, whatever it takes to get your rocks off, right?

Like the story wasn't gay enough already, you went ahead and made eye contact several times to confirm it.

200w.gif

There is a time and place for things. Dropping a warm-up set in a commercial gym is not the most acceptable etiquette given the environment, which TS should have realized, fellow Untermensch.

Okay, then what's the purpose of having bumper plates in the gym if they're not meant to be dropped?

All you had to say is "its within the gym rules, so I'm gonna do my thing. "

Any more lip and "take it up with the manager, because you're approval is not necessary"

Done.

Okay, then what's the purpose of having bumper plates in the gym if they're not meant to be dropped?
You think because they are bumper plates then you are supposed to always drop them? They are not "meant to be dropped" every time. You look like an idiot dropping 135.

You think because they are bumper plates then you are supposed to always drop them? They are not "meant to be dropped" every time. You look like an idiot dropping 135.

Uh, yeah? That's what they're made for. For dropping without or minimally damaging the floor or platform.

Now if you see a 100 lb female drop a 135 barbell onto a platform, do you think she's an idiot too?

So stupid.

Uh, yeah? That's what they're made for. For dropping without or minimally damaging the floor or platform.

Now if you see a 100 lb female drop a 135 barbell onto a platform, do you think she's an idiot too?

So stupid.
If they are struggling with the weights, it's understandable.

A full grown man shouldn't be dropping 135lbs in a deadlift and throwing a tantrum. I personally don't get offended by it, but people throwing weights around without a good reason always look like douchebags. Have a little awereness if you are at a commercial gym.

Are there not rules set for this at your gym, TS?

Every gym I've gone to there are notes regarding gym etiquette posted on every wall and most of the mirrors.

Not dropping barbells from shoulder height is usually part of said etiquette.

If that should happen to not be a rule at your gym, keep doing it.

I don't mind TS actin' a fool... Matter of fact, I think it would of been a perfectly good opportunity to throw your life away. You shoulda gone murder sui on the whole gym.

Last edited:
You should've filled the room with Clean and Jerks. Oh wait...you did.

How has this not been posted yet. TS, your answers are at 4:40 and following.

I support this gym goer. You are making noise when you lift it like that, don't do that.

I don't mind TS actin' a fool... Matter of fact, I think it would of been a perfectly good opportunity to throw your life away. You shoulda gone murder sui on the whole gym.

I just wish I could see some of these gym confrontation bro offs....I've never seen one. The closest I ever got was one time I was doing squats and this guy came and took a 25lb plate off the bat between my sets. I just said "hey man I'm using that" the dude said sorry then put the weight on the floor....I was like hey man??? Put it back on the bar for me will ya??? Dude acted hard and just walked off mumbling something which I didn't hear because I didn't actually give a shit.

If it was super noisy when you did that I can understand their annoyance but I know what you mean, you shouldn't have to lower bumper plates on a lifting platform in a controlled manner.

What is your age and ethnicity? If you are a white male in his prime getting publicly told off like that you are doing it wrong, the privileged shouldn't have to cop it like that (jks but seriously those old people sound like jerks).

I just wish I could see some of these gym confrontation bro offs....I've never seen one. The closest I ever got was one time I was doing squats and this guy came and took a 25lb plate off the bat between my sets. I just said "hey man I'm using that" the dude said sorry then put the weight on the floor....I was like hey man??? Put it back on the bar for me will ya??? Dude acted hard and just walked off mumbling something which I didn't hear because I didn't actually give a shit.

Yeah I saw a guy lose his shit on an old man for using a machine that was too close to him. I assume that's how all gym confrontations go down. Everything's cool until the gym gets busy and someone can't handle the slight inconvenience

Back