Xbox Xbox Going Multiplatform?

Grapevine: Tom Warren confirming at a minimum Hi-Fi Rush, Sea of Thieves, and Pentiment.

Full Verge read here but we'll see what's what 15.02.

Grapevine: Tom Warren confirming at a minimum Hi-Fi Rush, Sea of Thieves, and Pentiment.

Full Verge read here but we'll see what's what 15.02.
The rumors about Pentiment are old. Go back to October of last year. I genuinely thought that was already confirmed, it was a timed exclusive, but I guess they were just rumors. I'm not surprised they'd open up Sea of Thieves, considering that's a classic GAAS games, so it depends on volume of users for revenue, but I am surprised at Hi-Fi Rush.

and-here-we-go-joker.gif

It appears Xbox isn't going multiplatform. Phil said 4 games are going to arrive on other platforms. He doesn't say every platform, and he won't confirm what the games are, but mentions two of them are smaller games. I'm assuming they're the ones that are already leaked (Sea of Thieves, Hi-Fi Rush, Pentiment). He confirms that neither Starfield nor the upcoming Indiana Jones will be on other platforms.

Phil asserts in 10 years exclusive games will be a smaller and smaller part of the business, and he emphasizes that isn't an insight or a risky prediction. He says we can already see that (he was, after all, ahead of the curve before when he said this, as Sony at first insisted they wouldn't, but later also started bringing their exclusives to PC). He also said not to read this as a sign that all games will eventually be going multiplatform.

However, there is definitely a subtextual doublespeak. They insist this isn't a strategy change for them, but they're really leaning into talking about how today "games are bigger than platforms" mentioning games like Roblox. So I dunno, maybe they're just trying to soften Xbox gamers up to not incense them as they continue to erode the Xbox software wall.

*Yawn*. Big fat nothingburger. I was hoping there was something much, much bigger and more radical to this announcement hidden behind the leaks they deliberately teased over the last week-- using them as some kind of cover. I was hoping they were going to turn the Xbox into the legit cheapest outright gaming PC on the market where they negotiated a contract with Steam to allow them to sell any non-Microsoft published games through its store on Xbox consoles with a cut kicked back to Microsoft. Or they would be introducing a new cloud gaming console device like a Smart TV that ships with Xbox controllers included, and combines local gaming storage capabilities with built-in Game Pass and cloud configurations out of the box. Or maybe a handheld unit.

giphy.gif

Actually Phil said Starfield and Indian jones weren’t part of the four games being ported. He’s playing politician.

He told Tom Warren they are bringing more and Starfield and Indian jones aren’t off the table.

It appears Xbox isn't going multiplatform. Phil said 4 games are going to arrive on other platforms. He doesn't say every platform, and he won't confirm what the games are, but mentions two of them are smaller games. I'm assuming they're the ones that are already leaked (Sea of Thieves, Hi-Fi Rush, Pentiment). He confirms that neither Starfield nor the upcoming Indiana Jones will be on other platforms.

Phil asserts in 10 years exclusive games will be a smaller and smaller part of the business, and he emphasizes that isn't an insight or a risky prediction. He says we can already see that (he was, after all, ahead of the curve before when he said this before, as Sony at first insisted they wouldn't, but later also started bringing their exclusives to PC). He also said not to read this as a sign that all games will eventually be going multiplatform.

However, there is definitely a subtextual doublespeak. They insist this isn't a strategy change for them, but they're really leaning into talking about how today "games are bigger than platforms" mentioning games like Roblox. So I dunno, maybe they're just trying to soften Xbox gamers up to not incense them as they continue to erode the Xbox software wall.

*Yawn*. Big fat nothingburger. I was hoping there was something much, much bigger and more radical to this announcement hidden behind the leaks they deliberately teased over the last week-- using them as some kind of cover. I was hoping they were going to turn the Xbox into the legit cheapest outright gaming PC on the market where they negotiated a contract with Steam to allow them to sell any non-Microsoft published games through its store on Xbox consoles with a cut kicked back to Microsoft. Or they would be introducing a new cloud gaming console device like a Smart TV that ships with Xbox controllers included, and combines local gaming storage capabilities with built-in Game Pass and cloud configurations out of the box. Or maybe a handheld unit.

giphy.gif

Phil asserts in 10 years exclusive games will be a smaller and smaller part of the business, and he emphasizes that isn't an insight or a risky prediction. He says we can already see that (he was, after all, ahead of the curve before when he said this before, as Sony at first insisted they wouldn't, but later also started bringing their exclusives to PC). He also said not to read this as a sign that all games will eventually be going multiplatform.

giphy.gif
I was expecting something like handheld or smart tv/cloud thing too.

I'm really surprised they don't have a handheld device, and didn't use this attention to announce one in the making, considering the success of the switch, and the other PC-centric ones recently.

My fav rumor was the team behind the Surface laptops working on one.

Can see more and more games being timed exclusives across all platforms, double dipping doesn’t really have a downside.

Can see more and more games being timed exclusives across all platforms, double dipping doesn’t really have a downside.
As Prometheus bequeathing man fire. Only one ring to rule them all. And it does not share power.
iAVE8mvnpBOoV6neC_FfKw78rDnAqKW6USyk0lKvKXg.jpg

I heard rumours yesterday from multiple "sources" that Microsoft is rumoured to be making all their 1st party games multiplatform. Anyone know if this is confirmed or surprised.

That be cool. I just want the choice not to have to play with PC players in multiplayer games. They destroy games with hacks.

XB games have been multiplatform for years.

<Fedor23>

So are Nintendo and Sony really not going to return the favor?

Negotiation sessions must have gone like this:

MS "Hey we noticed you have a lot of players on your platform"

PS "Yep"

MS "We'd love to work with you and put some of our games on it. You know, to get the widest reach possible"

PS "Sure"

MS "So you guys agree? You have no problem with that?"

PS "We wouldn't mind having some more games for our customers to play"

MS "Alright cool, just sign here and we'll get to work on it"

PS "kthx"

MS "How about dat dere Helldivers 2?"

PS "People really like it apparently"

MS "As part of our new collaboration, would you be interested in putting that on Xbox?"

PS "Nah son"

MS "But we're working together!"

PS "Yea I signed for you to bring us some games. We're waiting...."

Or they would be introducing a new cloud gaming console device like a Smart TV that ships with Xbox controllers included, and combines local gaming storage capabilities with built-in Game Pass and cloud configurations out of the box.
That's the plan. Pretty sure that some smart TV's already have that capability. Conan's "Clueless Gamer" was promoting one while playing "Starfield". It's only a matter of time.

That's the plan. Pretty sure that some smart TV's already have that capability. Conan's "Clueless Gamer" was promoting one while playing "Starfield". It's only a matter of time.

Samsung (2020 models onwards) and LG's (models from 2021 onwards) do as far as I know.

I know a while back they shelved the streaming stick but wouldn't be surprised if they'll go back to it soon

I'm aware. I predicted this evolution in hardware in writing on this forum back in June 2019 two and a half years before LG released the first smart TV with Stadia built into it-- in fact before the launch of Stadia itself. Saw the writing on the wall.

And it would also offer an annoyingly deflating explanation for why they're promising the next console to be released will offer the greatest hardware leap in a single generation we've ever seen. Because they wouldn't be talking about an actual console. They could be talking about the servers that stream to the device. Uggh. Depressing.

But yeah, it seems inevitable. One seemingly insignificant detail that isn't actually insignificant is that none of these TVs have yet shipped with controllers in the box. That goes a long way towards establishing a product's identity. It says, loud and clear, "Hey. This TV is serious about gaming. It's not just a TV. It's a gaming product."
Samsung (2020 models onwards) and LG's (models from 2021 onwards) do as far as I know.

I know a while back they shelved the streaming stick but wouldn't be surprised if they'll go back to it soon
Samsung retroactively integrated the Stadia support into its "Gaming Hub" later-- in 2022. Unless I'm mistaken, LG was first to the punch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back